• Show
Clear All
  • Big Dog
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Kicker Battles !!!!

Elaine Thompson/Associated Press
    There is nothing Digest likes better than a good kicker battle. Since there aren't many of those this year, we'll make do with what we have:

Caleb Sturgis vs. Roberto Aguayo (Chargers): Aguayo handled all the kicking Saturday, nailing a 39-yard field goal and all his extra points. Sturgis badly shanked a short field goal in the preseason opener but outperformed Aguayo in practice this week. Anthony Lynn is open to the possibility of keeping two kickers after last year's field-goal catastrophes. He wasn't very specific about keeping these two kickers.

Jason Sanders vs. Greg Joseph (Dolphins): Seventh-round pick Sanders is 5-of-6 in the preseason, with his only miss from 53 yards. Joseph, an undrafted rookie, is 2-of-2 with 48- and 54-yard strikes. Joseph shanked a kickoff out of bounds in the preseason opener, but otherwise both have been fine on kickoffs. This battle is too close to call, or at least too close to call given the amount of attention we are willing to spend on a Dolphins kicker battle, which is barely enough to get to the end of this senten...

Aldrick Rosas vs. Marshall Koehn (Giants): This low-key semi-battle should be over after Rosas nailed a 55-yarder and Koehn missed an extra point against the Lions. Koehn also struggled in joint practices this week with the Lions while kicking into Matt Prater's custom, extra-narrow goal posts. Maybe other kickers should practice with custom, extra-narrow goal posts. Maybe the Chargers should get some custom extra-wides for self-esteem purposes.

Cairo Santos vs. Taylor Bertolet (Jets): Santos has missed most of camp with "leg tightness." Bertolet is 3-of-3 on field goals and perfect on extra points in the preseason; positive reviews of Bertolet have also trickled out of camp. It's hard to tell if Santos is out of the picture, Bertolet (who has knocked around camps since 2016) is a real challenger or the Jets are planning to scour the kicker wires on Labor Day, because the Jets are weirdly secretive about minor things, as if being coy about kickers will prompt some team to call and offer two first-round picks for Teddy Bridgewater or something.

Jason Myers vs. Sebastian Janikowski (Seahawks): Janikowski has kicked a 25-yarder and two extra points in the preseason. Myers has kicked 33- and 43-yarders. Practice reports have been scant and inconclusive. This battle may come down to the Seahawks figuring out whether they think of themselves as a lean, young, rebuilding team or the groaning, animated zombie of a former champion that needs to pay a little extra for a 40-year-old kicker so it can go 7-9 instead of 6-10
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Kai Forbath just released. Is he a better option than Sturgis? I dont mention Agauyo because i want to wait and see on him. He was so good in college that i have to think there is a stud kicker in there somewhere. And we can put him on the PS if needed.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Jason Myers released
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Rugger05
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
        Kai Forbath just released. Is he a better option than Sturgis? I dont mention Agauyo because i want to wait and see on him. He was so good in college that i have to think there is a stud kicker in there somewhere. And we can put him on the PS if needed.
        He was 32/38 with a long of 53 yards last year, only 34/39 for XP.

I say they bring him in. That shank Sturgis had reminded me of some of Koo's kicks

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Free agent K Kai Forbath will work out for the Jets on Wednesday.

The Jets just claimed Jason Myers off waivers from the Seahawks, but apparently the team is open to bringing in competition. Forbath sunk 32-of-38 field goals with a long of 53 yards last season but was cut by Minnesota Monday after losing his starting job to fifth-round rookie Daniel Carlson. It doesn't look like the Jets are counting on Cairo Santos, who has missed most of training camp with a groin injury.
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• foreigner
            Tom Telesco is gone
            • Sep 2013
            • Send PM

This is too delicate, there werent available good kickers from the college ranks this year?

This really makes me nervous, we missed the playoffs last year because of this. We should've addressed this better this year.

Comment

• WindsorUK
              WindsorUK commented
              Editing a comment
              And the offense getting off to a slow start.
              We averaged only 18 points the first 4 weeks, and only beat the winless Giants in week 5 after Emanuel's strip sack/recovery at the Giants 11 with 3 minutes to go.
              This team be needs to be firing on ALL phases( O, D, Teams) if they expect to make a run. Any month long lapse in any phase of the game and we'll be on the outside looking in once again.
          • Attack
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2017
            • Send PM

The Colts have Vinatieri and Badgley (K from U of Miami, undrafted), and likely will keep Vinatieri. Badgley is a good K and may be an option, but is an unproven pro K, like Koo was. I don't know what the best thing to do is at K. I am just not feeling Aguayo as the K. Would love it if Vinatieri got cut and he signed with the Bolts. Best K in history and has ice in his veins. Total confidence in Vinatieri.

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

I havent seen anything saying either of these guys is not the guy nor good enough. Its a battle and sounds pretty even to date berween practice kicks and preseason. Im not worried at this point. Sturgis seemed like a good enough kicker prior. Aguayo was nails in college but something just wasnt right in his nfl debut. Get coached well and get their mental game right and both could be good kickers. Just let it ride out at this point...we have better options than last year imo.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Rugger05
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Does anyone think we would carry one on the PS? I doubt either would get signed if they were cut and it would be a waste of a spot IMO

Comment

• Charged4Life
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
                    Does anyone think we would carry one on the PS? I doubt either would get signed if they were cut and it would be a waste of a spot IMO
                    Whatever it takes is my motto concerning the kicking spot.

Comment

• Rugger05
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Comment

Working...
                      X