I'll keep saying this until the Bolts finally get what it's going to take to win

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris9341
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

I'll keep saying this until the Bolts finally get what it's going to take to win

That is establish the run game number one. Number 2 stop the run and 3 have pressure on the QB. We will not win if Rivers passes for 424 yards every game. I understand that there is more to why we lost like 3 easy dropped passes two of which should have been Touchdowns. Unfortunately things like a miffed punt and dropped passes are going to happen. However I didn't even see the Chargers attempt to establish a running game yesterday. Right now with Bosa being out I don't want our defense on the field to long. You can see what a lack of pass rush does to our defensive backs. One reason our secondary was good was because of a constant pass rush by the defense. Our next game against the Chiefs you might wanna find a way to stop Tyreke Hill.
  • Chargerville
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2013
    • Send PM

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

I'll keep saying - our not so special teams are why we missed the playoffs last year and have already put us in a hole with a home division loss. We gave 17 points to them on special teams in a game we lost by 10 points.

Comment

• Jagged
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Omaha, Nebraska
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
        However I didn't even see the Chargers attempt to establish a running game yesterday.
        It seemed like they were running pretty well against the Chiefs when they weren't doing that idiotic draw that everyone sees coming a mile away. I think the difference is those dropped deep balls and getting behind in the score.

Comment

• Chargerville
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

Last edited by Chargerville; 09-11-2018, 04:44 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
              blueman commented
              Editing a comment
              541 yards with a backup OT and several drops? Nope, not the problem.

• Chargerville
              Chargerville commented
              Editing a comment
              They may not be the problem, but I personally don't feel comfortable counting on the offense to be efficient and make the plays to seal the deal when they absolutely have to against a playoff caliber opponent (even if everything else went right on defense and special teams).

They kind of remind me of the 2002-2006 Mike Martz Rams... a team that had offenses with all of the stats and yards, but at the end of the day you could almost always count on them to "BEAT THEMSELVES" in big games against playoff caliber teams.

After almost every big game, all you would always hear them say in press conferences was "we beat ourselves"
              Last edited by Chargerville; 09-11-2018, 07:04 AM.
          • UtahBolt
            Did we win?
            • Jun 2013
            • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
            • Send PM

I get it, it does feel frantic and out of balance sometimes. They put up a lot of numbers and move the ball but it does seem like when they absolutely, positively have to have an extra yard, first down, score, etc., they are not able to get it done. Often it's a dropped pass, missed block, hitting the wrong hole or the dreaded not getting the play in quickly enough. To me, the first drive of the game was the typical Charger offense in a microcosm, unable to punch out one extra yard when needed.

After one game it already just feels like the same old Chargers again...
            I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Chargerville
              Chargerville commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, and that is the difference between an offensive team like the Patriots as opposed to the Chargers. Even though I know they came up short in the Super Bowl, for the most part, that offense can take over the game (even when the defense sucks), be efficient, and make plays/score TD's in the absolute most crucial of moments.

The game we lost last year in week 1 to the Broncos (the blocked field goal would have tied the game), I'm betting Tom Brady and the Patriots (or Aaron Rodger and the Packers) would have gotten the ball back trailing 21-24 like the Chargers did, executed, and won the game 28-24.

I'm also betting they get the ball back in that Dolphins game and win the game 24-19.

The special teams has to do their part... I'm not making excuses for them, but some of these losses (if the Chargers offense were as good as we want to believe it is), we should have been able to execute and score TD's to win the game and seal the deal.
          • oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Is Dan Bailey still available?
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Chargerville
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

Come to think of it, not only would we be running the Rams style of offense if I were in charge of the Chargers, but Wade Phillips would also be my Defensive coordinator.

Nothing against Gus Bradly... the Seahawk's style defense appears to be taking over the league... but I would have tried to hire Wade.

Taking into account that:

01. I loved how Shawne Merriman looked in Wades defense
              02. I loved what he did with the edge rushers in Denver (Miller and Ware)
              03. We already had two good edge rushers in Bosa and Ingram
              04. we were already running the 3-4 defense that Wade basically installed in the first place

I would have gone with Wade Phillips because the edge rushers were already there along with at least one good corner in Hayward.
              Last edited by Chargerville; 09-11-2018, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• Frozendisc
                Frozendisc commented
                Editing a comment
                Wade was/is under contract with the Rams organization, the Bolts cannot even approach him much less make an offer.

It also feels like you are just in love with latest greatest to a degree.
            • Chargerville
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

Last edited by Chargerville; 09-11-2018, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • SoDak
                  • Technology Director
                  • Send PM

They popped off a couple draws that worked pretty well.

I just hate when the team is in a power run formation with either Watt as a FB, or 2 TE's, and they run the ball... they never gain anything except maybe a yard or two.

That means bad run blocking...slice it up anyway you want.

"...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Working...
                  X