• Send PM

migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Frozendisc
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2018
        • Cotes-des-neiges, Montreal
        • Send PM

Small market.....now that is too funny. SD has population of roughly 1.3 million, Green Bay sitting around 150 thousand. One market was well managed by team executives, the other poorly. With the move to the LA area, market is huge, yet those managing the team's moves are still doing a very poor job.

The excuse of 'small market' is just that, an excuse......

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

The "market" is not population, but TV viewers. SD TV market is around 18th in the nation, even with a city in the top ten. And for the NFL, it isn't butts in the seats, it is the eyeballs on the TV. Unfortunately for the Charger owners, they aren't drawing share in LA, and in SD, it is falling a little bit, but since they share in TV revenue, its not all that bad for them, and they probably are projecting a larger market long term.

Green Bay is a legacy team with a huge history, and their market is the entire state of Wisconsin, as well as parts of Illinois. And... they don't have any incentive to leave now. I think they did when they were sucking in the days before Farve.

I understand the reasons for why the ownership moved the team, still hurts bad for SD Fans, but at the same time, the city and county government are just as bad at running their business as the Chargers... and now the Chargers can play in Kronke's playpen for essentially free.

Comment

• UtahBolt
            UtahBolt commented
            Editing a comment
            It could also be argued that market in the NFL relates to fan base. Houston is a larger city than Green Bay, Boston, Seattle, Denver, even Dallas but it could be considered that they are a much smaller market team.
        • 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
          The "market" is not population, but TV viewers. SD TV market is around 18th in the nation, even with a city in the top ten. And for the NFL, it isn't butts in the seats, it is the eyeballs on the TV. Unfortunately for the Charger owners, they aren't drawing share in LA, and in SD, it is falling a little bit, but since they share in TV revenue, its not all that bad for them, and they probably are projecting a larger market long term.

Green Bay is a legacy team with a huge history, and their market is the entire state of Wisconsin, as well as parts of Illinois. And... they don't have any incentive to leave now. I think they did when they were sucking in the days before Farve.

I understand the reasons for why the ownership moved the team, still hurts bad for SD Fans, but at the same time, the city and county government are just as bad at running their business as the Chargers... and now the Chargers can play in Kronke's playpen for essentially free.
          Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Dont tell the "Pay Your Rent" chanters that. lol They think thats a good one. Makes no sense to me.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

The team would have survived in San Diego. No question about it. They had the fans and they generally filled the stadium every game.

survival in LA is a very real issue. They have essentially no fan base. They have some of the worst ownership in the NFL and in sports. They have no commitment to winning.

Or you can become a fan of Kronke and the Rams. Who are building a palace. Who are building a winner.

No way in hell would I be a Chargers fan if I wasnt one now.

And now they have to sell PSLs. Good luck with that.

so survivability in LA is a very real question.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Frozendisc
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2018
                • Cotes-des-neiges, Montreal
                • Send PM

Not population, but TV viewers......what ? Just exactly who do you think is 'TV viewers" referring to, freaking robots.....?

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Bolt-O commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The local market is just San Diego County, and the TV stations that serve it (not including Tijuana). If you looked at the TV coverage maps, on 506 sports, in the past, you would often see the Charger game only covered in SD, maybe Yuma, Palm Springs and LA (as a secondary market) and the visiting teams market. Like I said, Green Bay is not just population, they have millions more fans than the Chargers, even though they only have local population, and the state of Wisconsin... because they actually have won championships.
              • like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Dont tell the "Pay Your Rent" chanters that. lol They think thats a good one. Makes no sense to me.
                I think the Spanos family as NFL owners are hot garbage but the fact that they get 40 years, if they chose to extend to a second 20 year lease, at $1 per annum is a wise business decision. They get a large share of stadium revenues and ended up paying about 400 mil less than the purposed SD stadium. Now all they have to do is fire their family and hire PROFESSIONALS to run the team.

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I think the Spanos family as NFL owners are hot garbage but the fact that they get 40 years, if they chose to extend to a second 20 year lease, at $1 per annum is a wise business decision. They get a large share of stadium revenues and ended up paying about 400 mil less than the purposed SD stadium. Now all they have to do is fire their family and hire PROFESSIONALS to run the team.
                  I agree man. I really am not a fan of that family. But we are essentially playing rent free. So that particular chant...which haters think is funny...makes no sense.

Comment

• Boltergeist
                    Pesky apparition
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Baja Oklahoma
                    • Send PM

The market can also extend outside of the city a team is located in. The Cardinals have all of Arizona. Carolina has two states. The Cowboys have a lot of the middle of the country. In that sense, San Diego gets squeezed because it is hard to expand the market beyond Camp Pendleton to the north and El Centro in the east. Mexico and the Pacific aren't great markets for the NFL either.

Comment

Working...
                    X