• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boldarblood
    Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Media Reactions!

I absolutely love that even LAPD is jumping on the board.

I agree with this one, Lynn Coach of the year!

• Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

So, you'd think the Chargers would at least get a mention in the headlines at espn? Next morning...

But you'd be wrong. Nothing mentioned in the headlines, only down in "my games".

Guarantee you that if the Chiefs won, it would have been one of the headlines. Guaranteed.
    (Mind you this is "my" personalized page, with my teams on the left side... but no headlines for the TNF game that was ended on a 2 point conversion with 4 seconds left? NONE?)
    Chargers headline.PNG
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Big Dog
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

What we learned from the Chargers' 29-28 win over Kansas CityTravis Benjamin can still be a weaponThe running back depth is serviceableThis bunch is certifiably battle-testedThe 2018 Chargers have arrivedThe Chargers are officially a playoff team

Comment

• Big Dog
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Quick Observations From the 29-28 Win Over the Chiefs
        Ricky Henne & Hayley Elwood

The Los Angeles Chargers are playoff bound for the first time since 2013 after beating the Kansas City Chiefs, 29-28, in a thrilling Thursday Night showdown.

Game BallsStat of the Game:

Philip Rivers recorded his sixth 30-touchdown season, tying Green Bay QB Aaron Rodgers for the fifth-most in league history.

Play of the Game:Turning Point:

After a touchdown by Justin Jackson made it 28-21, KC, the Chiefs got the ball back with 3:49 left in the game. Initially, they faced a 3rd-and-8, but a false start penalty backed them up to 3rd-and-13. Patrick Mahomes stepped back, then tried to step up, but Melvin Ingram and Isaac Rochell converged on the QB to sack him for a two-yard loss. The sack forced KC to punt, giving the ball back to the Chargers offense with 2:37 remaining.

It Was Over When:Bolt QuotebookOdds and Ends

Comment

• Big Dog
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Friday, December 14, 2018
          Mike Williams rescues Chargers, reminds NFL he's a big-time playmaker

By Eric Williams

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Philip Rivers knew Mike Williams had it in him.

He'd seen the acrobatic grabs and run-after-catch ability from the second-year pro.

But with the Los Angeles Chargers' top receiver Keenan Allen out with a hip injury, Rivers and the rest of his teammates needed to see it against the Kansas City Chiefs, with the Bolts down 14 points in the fourth quarter on Thursday.

And Williams came to his team's rescue.

"There's never been any doubt in this locker room about Mike," Rivers said. "But I think that the whole world knows now why he was picked No. 7 [overall in the 2017 draft], you know? ... All the receivers contributed, but he took over the football game."

Williams put on an impressive display, finishing with six receptions for 76 receiving yards and three total touchdowns. His effort included the final score on a 1-yard fade route, along with the two-point conversion to close out the 29-28 victory.

Williams also scored on a 3-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter and ran in a 19-yard reverse for a touchdown.

The Clemson product had a disappointing rookie season, missing six games last year due to back and knee injuries and finishing with just 11 receptions for 95 receiving yards.

NFL Playoff Machine
          See what the latest playoff picture looks like and simulate your own playoff scenarios.

NFL Playoff Machine

With that experience behind him, Chargers left tackle Russell Okung said the start of Williams' heroics began during training camp with daily study sessions and drills with new receivers coach Phil McGeoghan.

"A lot of people can be excited about the plays he made today," Okung said. "But what I remember is training camp, and this guy coming back from an injury and trying to prove himself in the NFL.

"What he and Phil McGeoghan did, and the effort that me made every day to show that he can be an integral part of this team -- that process that he's been through and everything he put together -- all of that was evident today."

From there, Williams gained more trust in himself, with Rivers and his role in the offense. So when Allen went down Thursday, Williams knew it was time for him to step up.

"All the receivers told [Allen] that we were going to make the plays that needed to be made," Williams said. "Travis [Benjamin] made some big plays on that last drive, Tyrell [Williams] also made some big plays in the game.

"We just wanted to step up. [Allen] wanted to play in this game. He was down, so we just wanted to fight for him."

With two games left, Williams has totaled 37 receptions for 592 receiving yards and nine touchdown catches.

Along with Williams, Benjamin played much bigger than his diminutive, 5-foot-10, 175-pound frame.

Benjamin made two huge catches on the winning drive for the Chargers, a 31-yarder over the middle on which he was drilled by Kansas City safety Ron Parker and held on to the ball, and another 26-yard catch on fourth-and-7 that kept the final drive alive.

Benjamin was an honorary captain for the game and took over the role as slot receiver with Allen out.

"The way he has been practicing, it did not surprise us," Rivers said about Benjamin. "We have been seeing him practice. He started out the season pretty slow because of injuries, but once he's gotten healthy, he has looked very good. It was good to see him have some success on the football field tonight."

Williams was the latest hero for the Chargers as they have won or held on to win four games this season in the last seconds of the game.

Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn said he decided early on that his offense would go for two and the win if the Chargers got into the end zone on the final drive.

"We didn't come here to tie, we came here to win," Lynn said. "To me it was a no-brainer."

For Lynn and his players like Williams, they have embraced making plays in the tense, final moments of the game.

"We have been in these situations so many times, we believe we are going to win now," Lynn said. "The guys are really comfortable when we are in these situations. They do not panic. There is no anxiety."

Comment

• Big Dog
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

image.png

Comment

• Big Dog
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Chargers overcome less than 1 percent chance to advance to first postseason since 2013

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍