• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Telesco

How about some love for Tom Telesco? He has built an amazing roster, found great value in the FA, UDFA, late draft rounds and made some solid high draft picks. I was not happy when he picked Mike WIliiams because I just did not see it as a need, but he was right.

He also picked a HC that could turn the talent and potential into results. I was bummed when Lynn was hired. Seemed such an unqualified and uninspiring choice. I mean the Bills, who had groomed him, didn't even want him. Man was I wrong.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

agree on the Lynn hire. Compare that to Joseph in Denver now. I heard some NFL guy on TV last night say the Chargers have the best record in the NFL since the 0-fer start last year.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• WindsorUK
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Windsor, U.K.
      • Send PM

I made a similar post last month on how TT has mined gold at the back of the draft, even more so than the front end.
      Guys like Justin Jackson, Sam Tevi, Isaac Rochell, Darius Philon, Desmond King,Kyle Emanuel, Jatavis Brown have all contributed. Maybe not the impact of Derwin or KA or Bosa, or Gordon( and now Williams) but without these guys, plus the UDFA's, we are nowhere.
      And TT didn't actually waste his 4th round pick this year! I think Kyzir White is going to be a solid contributor as well.
      Absolute props to TT.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
        Pretty much retired......
        • Sep 2018
        • JoJa
        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
        I made a similar post last month on how TT has mined gold at the back of the draft, even more so than the front end.
        Guys like Justin Jackson, Sam Tevi, Isaac Rochell, Darius Philon, Desmond King,Kyle Emanuel, Jatavis Brown have all contributed. Maybe not the impact of Derwin or KA or Bosa, or Gordon( and now Williams) but without these guys, plus the UDFA's, we are nowhere.
        And TT didn't actually waste his 4th round pick this year! I think Kyzir White is going to be a solid contributor as well.
        Absolute props to TT.
        ^^^THIS^^^

Comment

• vinabolt
          Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
          • Feb 2015
          • Send PM

Right now TT looks like the best GM in Chargers history, but so is AJ Smith and Bobby Beathard in their golden days. So we'll see if TT can keep this up or drift down like the other 2 great GMs. 2 things different are that TT has no ego, while those 2 had big egos that interfere with their decision making. Also, TT communicate well with the coaches, while Beathard and AJ were just doing their own thing. AJ traded Jackson to TB (right decision) without consult with Norv or communicate with Rivers before hand. Norv was pissed.

Also, on the McCoy hire, it was mostly Dean and John Spanos and the old ex-GM of GB whom Dean hired as a consultant did the interviews. Basically they hired TT and McCoy at the same time. And TT was added later to the hiring crew which already had 3 others. As a brand new guy, I doubt he really had much input in that coaching hire.
          Last edited by vinabolt; 12-14-2018, 07:45 AM.
          Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Coachmarkos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • SoDak
            • Technology Director
            • Send PM

T2 has done a really good job. Hopefully Lamp can recover enough to get back in the swing of things. and I'm not sold on Feeny... he hasn't improved much since last year.

But otherwise, he's been excellent.
            "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Heatmiser
              HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Feeney is what he is, Coach. When they trap and pull with him he is pretty good. The rest of the time he is average to below. They just need to maximize his talent or replace him

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• foreigner
                Tom Telesco is gone
                • Sep 2013
                • Send PM

Hmm can we do an analysis on his picks? I dont really think Mike Williams, Bosa and James can be credited to his talents, those are high picks that anyone with a brain should've taken if the player was available.

Comment

• Big Dog
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
                  Hmm can we do an analysis on his picks? I dont really think Mike Williams, Bosa and James can be credited to his talents, those are high picks that anyone with a brain should've taken if the player was available.
                  The teams picking before us, didn't take them and they probably should have ... sometimes when players start dropping lower than expected other teams get scared and think what do they know that I don't and they pass too, most famous case of that was Pittsburg passing on hometown boy Dan Marino ...

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

There were a TON of people questioning the decision to draft Williams.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

TT had alot of swings and misess in 1st 3 years 2013-2015, then from 2016 to present he has really shaped the team

Draft
                      1. Fluker -swing and a miss
                      2. Allen- Home Run
                      3. Teo- swing and miss
                      FA Signing
                      CB Derrick Cox - got toasted, got bench and got cut after one season
                      RB Danny Woodhead -Good signing

Draft
                      1. Verrett- Talented but Injuries show up more than the Talen
                      2. Attouch - Swing and a Miss
                      3.Chris Watt- Swing and a Miss
                      FA
                      CB- Brandon Flower-1 good season
                      LB- Donald Butler - we resigned him and he was a bum

Draft
                      1 Melvin Gordon- Home Run
                      2 Perryman -Okay but injury proned
                      3 Craig Maeger -Swing and a Miss
                      FA
                      WR-Stevie Johnson-Bad
                      WR-KR-Jacoby Jones-Straight Garbage
                      UDFA
                      WR-Tyrell Williams- Good signing

Draft
                      1 Bosa-Home Run
                      2. Hunter Henry -Home Run
                      3. Max Turek- Bust
                      FA
                      CB-Casey Hayward-Good
                      NT-Mebane-Okay

Draft
                      1 Mike Williams- Home Run
                      2 Lamp ?
                      3 Feeny ?
                      5. Desmond King -Home Run

Draft 2018 Overall Real Good
                      1. James
                      2.Nwsou
                      3 Justin Jones
                      4. K. White
                      5. Quessnberry?
                      6. Cantrell
                      7. Justin Jackson

Comment

• vinabolt
                        Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                        • Feb 2015
                        • Send PM

Ridiculous. "Anyone with a brain" would've taken Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, David Carr if the players was available, too? NFL teams make wrong picks in high 1st round all the time, including #1 busted picks. By your logic then no GM in history should be praised. Even late rounds/rookie FA gems you could always say "if the GM was so good he wouldn't have pass on him to begin with".

Just because a player show talents in college and projected by fans and media "experts" for high picks doesn't mean he'll have that kind of career. Your "anyone with a brain" college player could be just as easy out of the league by year 4, year 5. Gone to Canada or out of football period.

It takes a lot of works and info to determine who to draft and predict who will bust, who will flourish. By your logic then "anyone with a brain" could be an NFL GM.
                        Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

Working...
                        X