• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

We have some pretty good DL and LB but they are injured (Luiget, Perryman, White) or otherwise not playing (Mebane). Also Bosa has missed time, Luiget suspended. This season has been a head-turner for some DL/LB like Philon and Brown, backups playing like solid starters. Not too shabby.

Comment

• RTPbolt
      Charger Fan till the end
      • Jun 2013
      • North Carolina
      • Send PM

TT has been well above average if you look across the league. He and his staff have never quit looking for pieces to keep the puzzle together despite our rash of injuries and we have had shit luck there. To me each draftee could completely fail or be a stud based on the team they go to. Talent alone doesnt dictate success....its about fit and coaching that recognizes how to best utilize players.

He has mined UDFA for real FOOTBALL types and through time those guys can develop. Giving kids time works. Allowing that is important to the philosophy here.... you work hard and you can make this team and start.
      Last edited by RTPbolt; 12-15-2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• vinabolt
        Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
        • Feb 2015
        • Send PM

Actually, only 1 of Telesco's draft picks can be consider an obvious pick, and that was Derwin James, but so was Ryan Leaf, David Carr, Matt Leinard, Johnny Manziel, B. Mingo, Dion Jordan etc., all "can't miss" prospects. Ryan Leaf was our obvious pick after Peyton Manning was taken by IND.

TT's 1st round picks were out of a bunch of college kids whom fans and media thought highly of. But none were obvious choices. The only one that most mock drafts predict correctly was Jason Verrett (low 1st round pick).

Nobody thought we would pick Bosa, they thought it wasn't a system fit. Only 1 or 2 real early mock drafts had us picking Bosa. But all revised mock drafts after that none had us picking him. Most mock drafts had us picking the loud mouth that is now in JAX, who had 1 good season.

The trade up to secure Gordon was really out of the blue. Nobody would have thought. No mock drafts had us picking Gordon, they thought he'd be long gone before our time to pick.

Very few thought we would/should take Mike Williams, they thought it wasn't a team need.

During TT 6 years here, only the Derwin James pick was the only 1 that we can consider an "obvious pick". And teams even screwed up "obvious picks" all the time. Go search Google for some of the biggest busts in sport draft history.

And the "obvious" state of James was so-so at best. He wasn't too "obvious" to the teams who was passing on him, causing him to drop.
        Last edited by vinabolt; 12-17-2018, 05:55 AM.
        Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• vinabolt
          Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
          • Feb 2015
          • Send PM

We should judge the GM by how many home runs he hits and how deep the team is. Not by how many he misses, because suck players outnumbered 100x the HOF players. Talented all-pros are rare, while so-so journeymen are everywhere.

If you Google for some of the drafts of Belichick, Bill Polian, Ozzie Newsome, or our own BB, AJ, you won't find a draft that didn't have multiple misses. AJ's famous 2004 draft was really rare, that draft earned him the "in AJ we trust" reputation, nobody could do that, and he couldn't repeat the success of that draft.
          Last edited by vinabolt; 12-17-2018, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by vinabolt View Post
            Actually, only 1 of Telesco's draft picks can be consider an obvious pick, and that was Derwin James, but so was Ryan Leaf, David Carr, Matt Leinard, Johnny Manziel, B. Mingo, Dion Jordan etc., all "can't miss" prospects. Ryan Leaf was our obvious pick after Peyton Manning was taken by IND.

TT's 1st round picks were among a bunch of college kids whom fans and media thought highly of. But none were obvious choices. The only one that most mock drafts predict correctly was Jason Verrett (low 1st round pick).

Nobody thought we would pick Bosa, they thought it wasn't a system fit. Only 1 or 2 real early mock drafts had us picking Bosa. But all revised mock drafts after that none had us picking him. Most mock drafts had us picking the loud mouth that is now in JAX, who had 1 good season.

The trade up to secure Gordon was really out of the blue. Nobody would have thought. No mock drafts had us picking Gordon, they thought he'd be long gone before our time to pick.

Very few thought we would/should take Mike Williams, they thought it wasn't a team need.

During TT 6 years here, only the Derwin James pick was the only 1 that we can consider an "obvious pick". And teams even screwed up "obvious picks" all the time. Go search Google for some of the biggest busts in sport draft history.

And the "obvious" state of James was so-so at best. He wasn't too "obvious" to the teams who was passing on him, causing him to drop.
            actually, myself and a few others here said only Bosa WAS the obvious pick. He was BAA with no serious flaws, hugely productive and this team ALWAYS needs more good pass rushers.
            Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• vinabolt
              Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
              • Feb 2015
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post

actually, myself and a few others here said only Bosa WAS the obvious pick. He was BAA with no serious flaws, hugely productive and this team ALWAYS needs more good pass rushers.
              Yeah, but he wasn't the obvious pick to most fans and media, certainly not the mock drafts. No latest mock drafts had him going to us. Mostly because they thought Bosa played 4-3 in college and we played 3-4.
              Last edited by vinabolt; 12-17-2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                TT has been well above average if you look across the league. He and his staff have never quit looking for pieces to keep the puzzle together despite our rash of injuries and we have had shit luck there. To me each draftee could completely fail or be a stud based on the team they go to. Talent alone doesnt dictate success....its about fit and coaching that recognizes how to best utilize players.

He has mined UDFA for real FOOTBALL types and through time those guys can develop. Giving kids time works. Allowing that is important to the philosophy here.... you work hard and you can make this team and start.
                remember the AJ Smith FA strategy of loading up early on 2nd tier & UDFA role player and depth guys? People on these boards always wanted top name and expensive FAs and would go ballistic complaining about all the guys AJ shoulda signed. Funny thing was his rosters were universally praised as being the deepest in the NFL for several years in the mid 2000s.I see similarities here, but without the same scrutiny of methods.
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• vinabolt
                  Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                  • Feb 2015
                  • Send PM

Nice new article by Adam Schein. When a non-Chargers-fan sounds like a hometown homer then you know you have good things going.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...s-team-to-beat

And in the AFC, no team comes close to the Bolts in terms of well-roundedness.
                  Radio and media people are talking about how we fought off KC without Allen and 2 top RBs. They forget that we're without Hunter Henry too, 1 of the top dogs in the offense. We've played all year without him and without Bosa for most of the season, best player on defense.
                  Last edited by vinabolt; 12-17-2018, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• attila
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2014
                    • Send PM

And they've played zero games in front of a home crowd. Pretty incredible. Feels like it's lining up for Rivers' shot. Just need to stay healthy because I think they would've got it done in 2006 if Rivers didn't get hurt week 17. I want to see Rivers and Gates get their rings and also want to see what a la chargers super bowl parade looks like.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

The Cardinal game came closest to a "home crowd" but a lot of empty seats. The result was the biggest offensive output all season. On the other hand, London was a neutral crowd, and they barely left alive.

GMs need time to get their vision to work, and you never know what you get until 3 years after the draft. I thought TT's first draft had promise, but Fluker and Teo were just ok, but Allen has been great. As long as he doesn't miss too often, or go stale, like Beathard and AJ Smith, TT will be around for a while.

Comment

Working...
                      X