Next team up: The Patsies (Game week discussion)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinabolt
    Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
    • Feb 2015
    • Send PM

The funny thing is even with the decline physically, Brady is still physically a better QB than Michigan's Brady, or even the young and underdeveloped Brady during their early 3 out of 4 SB runs. The "game manager" version of Brady in college and early in his career.

I was rooting for him to win the starting job over Drew Hanson at Michigan. I always like those chessmaster, leader, game manager type of QBs, who just clutch and direct the game, play smartly and doesn't make mistake. But even me surprised that he was drafted. He was skinny and looked like a little kid who come straight out of some HS. Some scouting reports even question if that body can last 1 hit in the 1st training camp. It's the NFL after all, not college hitters. Defenders legally launch their helmets to any part of the QB body in those days.

And he was SLOW. Slow release, slow decision making (try too hard to not take risk and be perfect), slow movement, slow running. Everything he did was slow. And he had a weak arm. He was accurate dink and dunk, but the farther he throws, the less accurate it is. The inability to pass deep was one of his weakness coming out of college.

Eldeman, a dinged up Chris Hogan and an aging, slower Gronk are still better than what they had at WR and TE during those early days, where Troy Brown by far was their best receiver, and they won games with the likes of David Givens, Deion Branch, Reche Caldwell, Daniel Graham, Watson etc. They beat us with our castoff Reche Caldwell and the washed up Troy Brown.

This year, whenever they tried to play Brady like it was 2007, 2010, they struggle. Whenever they play Brady like it was 2001-2004, leaning on the running game and defense, they were fine, winning ugly game, grinding and slowly pulled away early in the 4th quarter, just like the way they won in the early days. McDaniel is still kinda young and sometimes still play Brady like his prime-self, still calling high-risk passing plays. I'd be much more concern if Charlie Weis was there, eventhough he less creative than McDaniel, he's more careful and calling game based on the real current ability of the QB, not his former glory.

The difference is early days NE has a better, deeper and more experience, more versertal defense to run Belichick's things on the field. A lot of former all-pro veterans who haven't completely washed up yet, like Bryan Cox, Roman Phifer, even our own Terrence Shaw contributed to that defense. This season they have inconsistent and inexperience young players out there. I count only 5 players who belong to all-Belichick team, the trustee traditional NE Belichick guys like Ty Law, Harrison, Bruschi, Vrabel etc. : McCourty (Devin), Hightower, Patrick Chung (former 1st round bust, successful reclaimation project), Trey Flowers, Duron Harmon (all this guy does is intercepting ball in crucial moments, good student of the game, studies well).

Other defenders have some talents but haven't fit that profile, like Stephon Gilmore, Jason McCourty, Jones, Jackson, Van Noy, Malcom Brown, Derek Rivers.

Overachiever, major contributors type like our Mebane, Philon, Rochell : Guy, Wise, Elandon Roberts.

On offense, they have well-rounded OL and running game / screen game with Michel, the reliable James White, the do-everything Burkhead.

Overall this NE version is still very well-rounded and talented on their starting roster. The difference is the depth they had in their dominant days, which probably will bite them in the ass if the game gets to the 4th quarter when fatigue gets in. Like in 2006 after spending all energy to upset us and shut Manning out all game, their thin Secondary that year didn't have the legs to run with Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and co. anymore. Manning had an easy time coming back from 21 down in the 4th. Belichick went for 4th down deep in his own territory that game because he saw clearly that his DBs don't have enough legs to run up and down the field with their playmakers anymore.

NE and us, Brady and Rivers are basically the same type of teams, same type of players. Get physical when necessary but we're still 2 finess nerdy teams who won by outsmarting people, by winning the chessmatch, by non-sleep nights of studying and studying like a mad scientist, like a chess grandmaster studying days and nights to be ready for his next opponent. They and us don't win by overpower, out physical teams, like BAL, PIT, CHI, MIN and the likes.

And so far the chessmaster Rivers haven't been able to outwit, out-cun the old foxes of Brady and Belichick. It's like a 2500 ELO player (which is insanely good) still trying to catch up with a 2600 ELO master. Hopefully this Sunday our HOF QB will figure it out like Manning did in 2006. These late career SB runs will have a huge implication on Rivers' legacy as 1 of the all-time best signal callers in NFL history.
    Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

The Chargers are the more talented team at just about every level, and position grouping.

This is a game they can, and probably should, win.

But I am very concerned.

There will not be a holding called on Bosa or Ingram the entire game, so prepare for that.

I fully expect holding flags on us, if it's close, and we make a play.

We're not going to be able to even touch their WR's or Gronk.

It's going to be a game of attrition.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Well ill keep it short and to the point. I like our coaches we have now. Simple, pressure Brady, he will make mistakes. No turnovers by us and we go in and win.
        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
        181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
        225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

and the flags will be flying early and often. But they can bury Rivers without penalty. Drives me crazy.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
            The Chargers are the more talented team at just about every level, and position grouping.

This is a game they can, and probably should, win.

But I am very concerned.

There will not be a holding called on Bosa or Ingram the entire game, so prepare for that.

I fully expect holding flags on us, if it's close, and we make a play.

We're not going to be able to even touch their WR's or Gronk.

It's going to be a game of attrition.
            I agree with this.

The officiating aside, Belicheck is the great equalizer even if we are more talented than them, which I think we are.

Lynn needs to keep these guys laser focused and not get distracted during the game by a bad call or bad bounce. I think we will move the ball on that defense. Limit the mistakes and come away with more TDs than FGs. Even if we can't get to Brady I think Bradley will find a way to make him uncomfortable enough to limit him from slicing us up.

I want to end them so badly.
            ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

What's irks me is there might be any truth to the NFL not wanting us to host the AFCCG in our small stadium. Frankly I don't want to host a game there since we don't play well there but it's BS that they may try and keep us out with the refs.
              11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
              35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
              37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
              66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
              69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
              100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
              110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
              140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
              181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
              225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• chargerkdb
                Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                • Send PM

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Another 7 db defense coming up? I think so. The dbs are better than the remaining lbs. and its a new defense Brady isnt used to seeing.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                    Charger Fan till the end
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Carolina
                    • Send PM

Brady may still be hurting. They ran all day on Buffalo when I was there....I believe Brady was nursing things that have affected him. They lost their best deep threat in Gordon. They do protect Brady well according to his low 20 sacks stat, but I think our Defense is good enough to get to him especially the way our DL really has stepped up their play yesterday. If NE wants to be run heavy I'd align like we did yesterday....it may work well with the dink and dunk crap Brady lives off of as well. Our safeties can blitz and we play the run pretty darned well. We MUST get to brady.....he's not mobile so hit him...he has looked pretty human this year....he's still had a good year but the last 6 games they really were tested and failed to finish hence the losses.

I'd turn up the heat on D like yesterday and give a balanced Offense against their D. They have a good D but suck at getting to the QB....this is PERFECT for Rivers....they give him time and he will pick them apart. Absolutely be ready for the non-norm of Patriots blitzing though....they will just because they know its the only way to really force Rivers into making poor decisions....so have the outlets.

Will be have Hunter Henry? I still think if he can go he's an X-factor that's a tough matchup with his hands and speed, even if its just for a few catches. Get him out blocking and clearing an extra defender for another receiver.

This wont be easy, but that said I had a worse feeling about the Ravens but I was confident we could beat them as well. As we saw yesterday though we can't letup the pressure....if there is a team that can come back its the Patriots....this will be won in the 4th quarter. Our D steps up again and we can make this a mess for Brady to manage.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Weather will definitely be a factor this game. Patriots will dink and dunk and use a lot of bubble screens, like they always do. Chargers just have to tackle and not let little plays become big ones. James can handle Gronkowski. Rivers is the key. How will he handle the conditions? Will he force balls? Will he keep his composure?

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Experienced crew, but Torbert is the least experienced of the 4 divisional referees. I don't recall any bizarre calls he's made. Of note, the crews and refs in this round will be the pool for the Super Bowl (Cheffers, Parry, Hussey are the other Refs.)

Chargers at Patriots, 1:05 p.m. CBS
                        R 62 Ron Torbert 9 Michigan State attorney
                        U 49 Rich Hall 15 Kemp Arizona custom cabinetry
                        DJ 53 Sarah Thomas 4 Torbert Mobile sales representative
                        LJ 84 Mark Steinkerchner 25 Torbert Akron vice president*
                        FJ 126 Brad Rogers 2 Smith Lubbock Christian college professor
                        SJ 3 Scott Edwards 20 Torbert Alabama environmental engineer
                        BJ 105 Dino Paganelli 13 Smith Aquinas College educator
                        *indicates full-time official
                        • Replay official: Mike Chase
                        • Replay assistant: Marv LeBlanc
                        • Alternates: Pete Morelli (R), Walt Coleman IV (LJ), Jabir Walker (SJ)
                        Last edited by Bolt-O; 01-07-2019, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

We beat the refs in Baltimore, maybe we can squeak out a W against the cheatingest team/HC in league history?

Comment

Working...
                          X