• Show
Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

So much this. AND if you don't think a multi BILLION dollar industry wants a "home" team in a small soccer stadium, that will be half filled by opposing fans, for a conference championship game, you're delusional. That's bad optics.

Look at what they did with the concussions scandal. Hide and deny, hide and deny.
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Of course they are interested in image. But then I don't think they will be out to screw one of their members of their club for the sake of not having a championship game at a small venue. TV fixes that for them. The owners approved a path for the Chargers to move to LA, thinking that the Charger ownership wouldn't take it. They were wrong, but also the local politicians didn't make it a good deal for them to stay, and the local fans got screwed (that is the entire county, not just the city) It's all fucked up, but us fans have only a choice to follow or not follow.

Its a good point that it may be a select few moles that might be throwing games, but my belief is that officials are doing the best job they can, and that the league wants to promote itself as following integrity. It may be naive, but then again I have nothing into game outcomes other than fandom.

Comment

• chargerkdb
        Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Hotter than hell, Georgia
        • Send PM

This theory can also work the other way. Bolts are clearly 2nd favorite in LA and struggle to fill soccer stadium. How do they get a following and fill a $4B crown jewel stadium? A championship!

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
          This theory can also work the other way. Bolts are clearly 2nd favorite in LA and struggle to fill soccer stadium. How do they get a following and fill a $4B crown jewel stadium? A championship!
          Exactly. Everything has a counterpoint. People twist what ever happens to them into a conspiracy, but sometimes you just have to objectively look at what happened. Okung was pissed when he got called for that "hold" and blamed Goodell as wanting the Chargers to fail. Just play better Russel.

Comment

• RTPbolt
            Charger Fan till the end
            • Jun 2013
            • North Carolina
            • Send PM

Are you F'in kidding me? You must have too much time on your hands to think up this stuff. The refs miss things...has happened for years. Some games it may favor 1 team but its ridiculous to think Goodell or the head office would even think of doing something that would so undermine the integrity of the sport and cause dissention.......its ludicrous. Get over the all owners and the NFL leaders are evil mentality.....im a businessman that deals in millions of dollars, I'm not evil, its a business and I do my best for my clients. If I owned a franchise I'd try to grow it and decisions aren't EVER black and white regarding how you invest your money in people or investments.

Its fine to complain about the refs...they miss calls. They missed Allen getting mugged and there is NO recourse. I'd rather argue they need to allow challenges on missed penalties or challenge a penalty called at least (issue with missed penalties is there are penalties every play so the game would grind to a halt).

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

I have no problem with the refs not calling everything. Its just they seem to make a bullshit call on the Bolts at critical times all too often. And they have no problem with Rivers taking late hits.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
                I was going to start a thread with something similar. LOL.

3. Watt had a TD. Everyone knew it, everyone saw it, the guys in the booth all agreed... there was no way he was down. None. Terrible/atrocious call.
                4. After Watt is called down... the put the ball on the 1 yard line. not the 1 inch line. Hell they didn't even put it half way. That was the incorrect spot, after a replay...which leads directly to #5.
                7. A couple guys noticed this during different times during the game day thread... there were multiple... 3 at least, maybe 4 or 5 times... where they marked the Chargers a yard short or so of where they actually went down or out of bounds at... but more than once. It's the little things like that, that drive me crazy... OK, so our guy runs out of bounds, you're going to mark it a full yard back of where he got. Their guy get tackled on a run up the gut, and you give him a half yard extra, from where he went down... that stuff drives me insane.

So yes, I do agree, that if we want a fairly called game... we actually want the Chiefs to win. Which is asinine.

Most of the time they aren't blatant, like the Watt TD... but you watch how many holding penalties they call on us against NE, especially if the game is close.
                -and by the way, they won't get called for any. I know that going in.... they are going to hold Bosa and Ingram every play, and it won't get called once, so just prepare yourself for that.
                Coach, thanks for posting this. I feel the exact same way. My son the Steelers' fan watched with me and rooted for the Chargers because he hates Ravens like we hate the Chiefs, Broncos, Raiders. I had someone to talk to during the game and I lamented many times about the spots. They were routinely a yard or more short. The Watt catch was a TD but if you cannot see that, at least spot the ball where he was and not where the play began! I just don't get it.

And NE has never, ever, EVER been called for offensive holding. They are magical. Mythical. They alone can give their QB 5 seconds to stand flat footed and scan the field without ever doing anyting against the rules. And it has been that way for YEARS. Any QB will look good with that much time.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• foreigner
                  Tom Telesco is gone
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

I can live with the Zebra's mistakes.. or conspiracy theories.. but what killed me was the ball spotting... even it there was inconclusive evidence to overturn it, it was more than enough evidence to put the ball at the right place.. not 1 yard behind...

One last thought... I think Dan Feeney had a horrible game... I might be wrong but he was the one blocking the fellow that blocked the FG...

Comment

• chargers_22
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
                    I was going to start a thread with something similar. LOL.

I really want the Colts to win, but if they do... I imagine we will face some shady crap, as there is no way the NFL wants the Chargers hosting the AFC Championship game in that small stadium.

Thoughts that were burning me up during yesterday's game:
                    1. The Ravens actually got called for holding yesterday, and our D-line feasted on them. That first meeting, they were absolutely mugging Bosa and Ingram (and there was never a call), it was BRUTAL. If they had actually called it that way 2 weeks ago, the Chargers would have had home field.
                    2. The exact same game... 2 weeks ago... the chargers got called for how many holding calls... and usually if we had a successful play, a flag would come in. Same game, we had flags thrown on us, for much less obvious penalties, it was atrocious.

Yesterday, the holding calls/line play was called evenly, and you saw what happened.

Allow me to take the moniker "conspiracy coach" for the following.... as I am not a conspiracy guy, by and large... I'm really not. But, as I said a couple times this season there has been things that make me wonder...

1. The facemask on Ekeler on 3rd and goal. JFC. How do you miss that? It was the first thing that touched... his arm hit him in the head, and then he grabbed his face mask! Imagine if one of our players had hit Lamar Jackson directly in the facemask. That was TERRIBLE and inexcusable.
                    2. The PI/or defensive holding non call on Keenan Allen. Even Tony Romo was like... how can he do that? Again... imagine that the other way... Lamar Jack scrambling around, and a charger DB grabs a WR. That killed a drive.
                    3. Watt had a TD. Everyone knew it, everyone saw it, the guys in the booth all agreed... there was no way he was down. None. Terrible/atrocious call.
                    4. After Watt is called down... the put the ball on the 1 yard line. not the 1 inch line. Hell they didn't even put it half way. That was the incorrect spot, after a replay...which leads directly to #5.
                    5. MG, if he's handed the ball at the 1 inch line, instead of the 1 yard line... is in. 100% without question. I thought he was in anyway. Ground can't cause a fumble, so Baltimore has no gripe at all... and you could see the white powder bounce up from where the ball landed. Ridiculous. Even if you thought his arm was down... he'd have been in, if the ball had been placed correctly.
                    6. Okung's "hold". It wasn't a hold. Yes he stuck his arm out, and there was no need to do so. But he didn't hold. That play would have iced the game. That was called by an official who "thought" it was going to happen.
                    7. A couple guys noticed this during different times during the game day thread... there were multiple... 3 at least, maybe 4 or 5 times... where they marked the Chargers a yard short or so of where they actually went down or out of bounds at... but more than once. It's the little things like that, that drive me crazy... OK, so our guy runs out of bounds, you're going to mark it a full yard back of where he got. Their guy get tackled on a run up the gut, and you give him a half yard extra, from where he went down... that stuff drives me insane.

So yes, I do agree, that if we want a fairly called game... we actually want the Chiefs to win. Which is asinine.

Most of the time they aren't blatant, like the Watt TD... but you watch how many holding penalties they call on us against NE, especially if the game is close.
                    -and by the way, they won't get called for any. I know that going in.... they are going to hold Bosa and Ingram every play, and it won't get called once, so just prepare yourself for that.
                    Also the drive before Crabtree's 2nd TD.. Eckeler first play went for 8 yards and they spotted it 6.. Booth again said wtf?

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post

One last thought... I think Dan Feeney had a horrible game... I might be wrong but he was the one blocking the fellow that blocked the FG...

It wouldn't surprise me, but the hold was botched as well, and Badgley didn't hit it right.

Comment

• foreigner
                        Tom Telesco is gone
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

Yes... it was Feeney...

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • SoDak
                          • Technology Director
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargers_22 View Post

Also the drive before Crabtree's 2nd TD.. Eckeler first play went for 8 yards and they spotted it 6.. Booth again said wtf?
                          correct.

all those little shortcomings add up, particularly when they are one sided.
                          Last edited by Coachmarkos; 01-07-2019, 11:21 AM. Reason: added 2nd line.
                          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍