• Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

3 (or more) keys to playoff victory against the Patriots

You know what to do...

1). Coaching - I think what was so satisfying for me about Gus Bradley's approach against the Ravens wasn't so much the actual strategy (DBs as LBs), but the fact that we actually did SOMETHING different. I think somebody around here used the term "Patriots-esque." Hate to use it but I agree, I think were used to so many bad coaches over the years trying to fit square pegs into round holes and for once we actually used some brilliant strategy. It was pretty gratifying to see.

I think AL and his "play to win" attitude is going to be key here. Bradley needs to again be willing to change things up...and change it again if it isn't working. My only small concern is Whiz - this game kinda reminded me of the 2013 Bengals playoff game where we came in with a conservative gameplan, beat them with our defense, and tried the same thing against Denver the following week and smoked. Whiz was late to adjust in that game. FOR THE RECORD: the offensive gameplan against the Ravens was PERFECT this week; I do not think a copy/paste against the Patriots is in order (weather permitting).

2). Redzone - Need to score TDs, pretty simple. All the more reason especially if the weather sucks. Love Money Badger but don't want a kick to be decided by the elements. Hunter Henry as a redzone target/decoy will be huge here. Shannon Sharpe said the magic number is 28 points. I think he's probably right. Maybe a bit less if the weather is horrible.

3). Pass rush - Pretty obvious. I don't think we'll be in absolute jailbreak mode like we were against the Ravens, but we need TIMELY pressure. Moreso up the middle if possible. Think what happens to Rivers when he gets harassed up the middle - Brady is the same. I think Bosa is pretty fresh, hopefully the foot is feeling as good as possible, we need him in his 2014 Ohio State national championship mode. I think the Patriots are going to try to focus a bit more on Ingram. Bosa needs to absolutely win any 1 v1 action he sees.

3b). Unsung heroes - This is the time of year where random guys can make a huge impact. Will that be a guy like Justin Jones or Rayshawn Jenkins? I thought Jenkins looked fast out there last week. I feel like for the first time EVER we are actually adding contributors late in the year as opposed to losing them to injury or ineffectiveness.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Pressure on Tom Brady
    Score more points
    Give up less points

Comment

• chargerkdb
      Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Hotter than hell, Georgia
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
      Pressure on Tom Brady
      Score more points
      Give up less points

Comment

• vinabolt
        Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
        • Feb 2015
        • Send PM

About the "quarter" defense, Belichick started this no-LB defense when they started the SB vs. the Rams. The main reason they did that was to match the Rams RB and WRs' quickness (Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt,, Marshall Faulk, Az-Zahir Hakim and co.) to take away their incuts. Mike Martz offense that year was all about incuts, cut to the inside.

It's a copycat league, then Rex Ryan used this to beat the Patriots was because the Pats that year have no deep threats, Moss was washed up, Welker can never goes deep. So they did that to match Welker quickness, take away his option routes and Brady's dink and dunk game. They had no fear of the old man Moss.

We used it last game simply because we need speed, quickness and agility there to contain Jackson if he gets to the next level, and we didn't really respect Jackson passing ability, we thought we could take risk with that and we were right.

We gave them 2 cheap ones late when fatigue kicked in. When you tired, not only your body breaking down but mental state too, mental lapses start, the levels of attention and focus fading away.

That's why we see QBs come back from the 4th quarter all the time, and QBs usually can take the team down field on the last drive. NFL, fans and medias just like to give credits to the QB and the offense rather than just acknowledge that defenders are human too, and human bodies got tired, when you got tired your mental focus fade away, mistakes happens. Foles took his team down field for a TD against Mack and the vaunted Bears D, then CHI marched right back for the FG in under 1 minute, against the vaunted Eagles D.

We might still found success against NE with this "quarter" defense. But at least on paper it doesn't look so promising, as Eldeman, unlike Welker, can actually go deep some. And there is Chris Hogan, a productive deep guy. Patterson and Dorsett have the speed to go deep. They haven't in sync with Brady in the regular season, but that might change in the playoff. When you use DBs whole game, DBs tired out in the 4th, vulnerable to deep passes. Also, there's always the Gronk factor. They could just lob the ball to Gronk over and over.

The usual conventional wisdom about Gronk is that "He is too fast for LBs and too big for DBs to cover". Well, with this age and near retirement, you don't have to worry about his speed to run away from you anymore, even if facing LBs. But he still big and strong, can shield off smaller DBs and catch the ball. He doesn't even need to be open. Against DBs, he just need 1-on-1 (no double-team) and some space. Brady has enough accuracy to pin the ball in there, unlike Jackson or other running QBs who can't do that.
        Last edited by vinabolt; 01-08-2019, 07:11 AM.
        Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I don't get the Gronk argument.

Ideally I'd want James on him ALL GAME, but I think I'd rather take my chances playing our athletic DBs and risk getting overpowered.

What's our other option at this point? Have Pullard or Emanuel try to cover Gronk???? That's infinitely worse.
          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

The refs are going to call stupid pemalties. All we can hope for is it isn't against us.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
              I don't get the Gronk argument.

Ideally I'd want James on him ALL GAME, but I think I'd rather take my chances playing our athletic DBs and risk getting overpowered.

What's our other option at this point? Have Pullard or Emanuel try to cover Gronk???? That's infinitely worse.
              Gronk hasn't been the same player this year. Been pretty awful actually

Comment

• Budsman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

1. you pressure with 4 and double Gronk. their only real "MisMatch" on offense is Gronk. Granted Gronks been a bit banged up and not his normal self this year, this is a playiff game and you have to expect the Pats and Gronk to bring their A game. I think the Chargers can beat a Pats A game with their own A game but dont let Gronk take over, he will nulify a pass rush with his ability to catch the hot route up high.

2. Dont turn the ball over. Its really easy, dont give the Patriots easy scores.

3. Pressure the crap out of Brady. Thats been the key to beating Brady, pressure him. Not blitzing mind you but pressure up front with 4 Lineman. Its how the Giants beat them and its the blue print for success vs Brady. He is even less mobile now but he is smart so, get pressure, get him rolling out of the pocket not stepping into it and make him move his feet.

Comment

• vinabolt
                  Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                  • Feb 2015
                  • Send PM

To be fair I didn't watch Gronk too closely this season to see if his speed is really gone for good. If he doesn't have his usual speed then it's better to use LB to cover him to match his size and arm strength, without having to worry that slow LB getting beat deep by him. He made a living run away from LBs in his career.
                  Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• chargerkdb
                    Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

The refs are going to call stupid pemalties. All we can hope for is it isn't against us.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Win the 1st quarter

Keep Emanual and Pullard in reserve.

Play 7 dbs with new wrinkles to make Brady think a little more.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                        Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Just keep running that 2pt conversion play to MikeW until someone covers him.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍