• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Off season questions

Sucks to have to start thinking about free agency and the draft, but here we are.

If I read it correctly, we'll be picking 28th.

We have $28 million in cap space for next year, according to Spotrac.

Here are a few questions from Eric Williams:

Key offseason questions

Will the Chargers get a contract extension done with Rivers? Rivers, 37, has one year left on his current contract that pays him $16 million for the 2019 season. Rivers has said he still wants to play when the Chargers open the new Inglewood Stadium in 2020. The Chargers should begin negotiations this offseason on a new deal for their franchise quarterback.

How will the Chargers better protect their aging QB? Overall, the Chargers' offensive line played solidly in 2018. However, Rivers faced more pressure late in the year, which affected his ability to lead the offense. Left tackle Russell Okung turns 32 next season, and second-year pro Sam Tevi is improving but has been uneven as a pass-blocker. The Chargers probably will consider adding young talent at the tackle position either through the draft or free agency.

A new deal for Melvin Gordon? The workhorse running back has improved every year he has been with the team, and he enters the final year of his rookie contract in 2019 scheduled to make $5.6 million in his rookie extension. Gordon has made Rivers' job easier, and the Chargers should figure out how to keep the Wisconsin product around long term.
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Need to be careful navigating the next contracts for Rivers and Gordon.

Man, I like Gordon a lot but he seems to be hurt late in the year every year.

Personally I would hold off negotiating Rivers' contract until I see how he plays at 38 years old next year. I think the Chargers have some leverage here as I doubt Rivers would want to play anywhere else.

Interesting times.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Attack
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Personally I would hold off negotiating Rivers' contract until I see how he plays at 38 years old next year. I think the Chargers have some leverage here as I doubt Rivers would want to play anywhere else.

Interesting times.
      Good points.

I liked how Justin Jackson looked playing this year. He's a versatile back. I also like Detrez Newsome, and of course, Ekeler.

Comment

• attila
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2014
        • Send PM

Try and fix the OL, get another WR that can get some separation, a few LBs and give Rivers one last shot. Missed on Mahomes last year; so, Rivers gets it done or in 2020 sign Cardale Jones and "Tank for Trevor." Giving RBs big contracts or using high picks: no.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Interesting times.
          Honestly, I like the way Gordon has developed but would not sign him long term. He takes way too many shots and is always beat up. The league has shown that you can go the RB by committee route with great success and we have other needs than overspending for a RB.

Comment

• nomad1946
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2017
            • West Yellowstone, Montana
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Honestly, I like the way Gordon has developed but would not sign him long term. He takes way too many shots and is always beat up. The league has shown that you can go the RB by committee route with great success and we have other needs than overspending for a RB.
            Exactly my feelings when TT drafted him.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by attila View Post
              Try and fix the OL, get another WR that can get some separation, a few LBs and give Rivers one last shot. Missed on Mahomes last year; so, Rivers gets it done or in 2020 sign Cardale Jones and "Tank for Trevor." Giving RBs big contracts or using high picks: no.
              Lol, yeah problem is coaches don't tank a season when trying to win fans over in a new city to maybe be able to draft a QB #1. They can trade up and do that.
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-13-2019, 09:30 PM.

Comment

• Classic
                Hall Of Fame
                • Dec 2014
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Lol, yeah problem is coaches don't tank a season when trying to win fans over in a new city to maybe be able to draft a QB #1. They can trade up and do that.
                Not to mention Trevor has said he hopes to play his senior year so looking at 2022 for the best QB prospect since Luck.

As for the off-season, you do with Rivers what the Saints did with Brees. Extend Rivers 2 years with one of the years being contract friendly in that we can cut him without taking alot of cap hit. In Gordon's case I agree with most of you guys in that we can't sign him to a big contract and should be looking for a replacement in this draft and give Jackson a shot at the starting role.

In the draft we should go BPA(outside of QB in the 1st) and not for need as this as helped us alot the last few drafts. Replace Perryman and see if we can restructure Luiget's contract and go after OG in F.A and FS/CB/DL depth.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

To those 3 points...

1. Extend Rivers. Their draft position makes this a nececity.

2. Draft OL and DL

3. This season has made me a Gordon fan but he can go

Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Agree on 1 and 2 with the addition of LB being a need, as the NE game showed.

Gordon is not that replaceable, if we follow through on drafting OL then I would extend. We are close, and Gordon has been a huge part of that.

Comment

• Jagged
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Omaha, Nebraska
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                      Agree on 1 and 2 with the addition of LB being a need, as the NE game showed.

Gordon is not that replaceable, if we follow through on drafting OL then I would extend. We are close, and Gordon has been a huge part of that.
                      ^^ This, I don't think he's that replaceable either and I think he's earned his spot on the team. Running back "by committee" makes the offense so much more obvious. Tolesco is good, he'll figure out the Rivers and Gordon stuff, I just wish he was better with the OL stuff. They are mediocre on their good days. Get the center of both lines fixed or in better shape for next season and bring in a decent safety to play opposite of James.

Comment

• Boltx
                        Dominate the day
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

The difficult reality is that we need a rapid infusion of talent along the OL...can it be done in 1-2 years? I don't know. All the while you're hoping your immobile, 38 year old QB doesn't fall apart.

You can't trot out an old immobile qb AND put him behind a bad line AND put him in an offense that continues to expose him. Yet we do all 3. Every single year, no matter who is the coach or GM.

How come, year after year, nobody can touch Brady? They certainly have talent on the OL...but are they elite at every position? Well coached and the offense is tailored to protect Brady on quick throws. Why can't we do that??

For this offense to work, we need not a average, or good OL. We need a GREAT one. And I don't know if we can throw one together in time. As a organization, it's just not something we do. Some of it is negligence, some of it is missing on picks. Results are the same.

Last edited by Boltx; 01-14-2019, 04:55 AM.
                        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡