• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinabolt
    Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
    • Feb 2015
    • Send PM

Individual talents wise, strength, quickness (especially feet quickness), size, arm length, athletic ability, or any kind of physical attributes you can think off, and individual toughness and hardwork, there are not much difference from the Chargers OL and Patriots OL. The human talents from the 2 lines are pretty much the same. Both lines didn't give up much sacks all season. Our OL did well in the BAL playoff game. It's really crazy that just 1 Patriots game change all perspective. The difference is the X&O. In the NE game we didn't lose many 1-on-1 battle, we loss the gameplan battle, they did a lot of crazy things to confuse our players and our coaches and players weren't ready for it. They completely baffled, confused us. We didn't know what to do, confusion all over the places, out of positions, player A ended up doing player B's job. It was clearly coaching, not individual abilities of each lineman.

Yeah during the season out interior OL was vulnerable, but Rivers and our QB-led protection system equalize it. It's the Peyton Manning IND's system that McCoy learned in DEN. Similar to Brady Weis-McDaniel concept in NE. Peyton Manning's OL and Brady's OL weren't anything great to crown at. It's the QB and the system that made their OLs look good, or not as bad. Manning and Brady never had a super talented OL.

McCoy was hired here because he was able to sell to Dean Spanos and Ron Wolf the idea that he can resurrect Rivers career and install the Peyton Manning - Tom Moore protection scheme here, to help out the OL pass blocking, prolong Rivers career. And we did accompllished that, at least in the regular season. Remember how many times Rivers got beat down under Norv last few seasons here? It just happened that McCoy sucked as a leader/head coach. But the system that he brought here did help out Rivers tremendously and help prolong his career.

The idea of this system is to minimize the cost to spend at OL, free up the cap to strengthen the whole team. And Rivers, with his intelligence and high football IQ and keen ability to understand defenses, has proven he can calls the protection, read defenses and direct the offense just as effective as Manning and Brady. 1 game doesn't change that. Manning sucked in playoffs too. 10 one-and-done or something like that. Fans called him a "choker" for a reason. Eventually he did come through and win SB.

What teams who have high-priced OL won SBs? WAS, DAL, MIN? The Rams all season and that DAL game just like NE, they did all the crazy things, misdirections, confused DAL, creative running plays, it's not just their OL. And didn't IND was exactly same as our results? 1 playoff win and done? Got blown out too?

It's all about getting better at everything, on overall strength of the whole team, coaches and players, not just 1 part quick fix. It doesn't work that way. Need the cap for the whole team.
    Last edited by vinabolt; 01-15-2019, 03:26 PM.
    Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

The Colts just fired their OL coach. That would be a good place to start.

Comment

• Chargerville
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
        The Colts just fired their OL coach. That would be a good place to start.
        I wonder why they did that.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargerville View Post

I wonder why they did that.
          Apparently he was the only guy that wasnt a Reich signing.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by boltfanseattle View Post

Defensive gameplan of going cover 3 and allowing short gains also contributed.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Im over the loss. On to the draft.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• chris9341
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

I have said this in the past also, maybe not in the same context you have but none the less I have said that basically when Rivers is under center you can basically count on it being a run and if he is in shotgun you know it's going to be a pass. I wish they would start passing more out from under center but thats just me.

Comment

• Attack
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2017
                  • Send PM

I want to hear from Telesco or Lynn what exactly is going on with Lamp. For him not to be active on many game days and being behind the other backup linemen, which is lacking talent, is very concerning. If he wasn't healthy enough to add anything during the season, then he should have been IR'd and had surgery already so there is more time to recuperate for next season. If he is healthy, but just not good enough to be a backup, or just needs minicamp, etc to get into playing shape, then give an update so the fans know. I hope he doesn't end up like Chris Watt.....

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

...or the other lanky Center they wasted 3 years on before deciding he couldn't play after bulking up to NFL standards and recovering from surgery.
                    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Biggest offseason question for every NFL team

Is Dan Feeney going to improve?

The Chargers drafted Forrest Lamp
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                        Biggest offseason question for every NFL teamIs Dan Feeney going to improve?

The Chargers drafted Forrest Lamp
                        On a possitive note thats 17 more snaps than Verrett has played since Oct 2016 ity:
                        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan​
                        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                        181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
                        225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

I was so happy when I thought our OL was going to be good. Sigh.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X