• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RTPbolt
    Charger Fan till the end
    • Jun 2013
    • North Carolina
    • Send PM

And to think how well our Offense can get by without a good OL.

when Gordon and Ek were leading the league we were run oriented and that opened up the passing game. Once G was injured Whiz tried to adjust and we seemed more pass centric....I feel if we had stuck with the run game mentality and not changed our offense so much we would have been more difficult to stop.

that said our OL are incinsistent at Pass blocking so it was a weekness from the onset. A young line that hasnt matured yet is a tough one to judge. Will they get there next year? Im inclined to bring in a vet RT as we can always take the tackles and move them inside and let them battle it out. Its a big priority that cant be left to hope the OL matures...take no chances and bring in an OT and evrn a road grader G too. If we jettison a young pup oh well...have to get Rivers to the SB in next 2 years.

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
      And to think how well our Offense can get by without a good OL.

when Gordon and Ek were leading the league we were run oriented and that opened up the passing game. Once G was injured Whiz tried to adjust and we seemed more pass centric....I feel if we had stuck with the run game mentality and not changed our offense so much we would have been more difficult to stop.

that said our OL are incinsistent at Pass blocking so it was a weekness from the onset. A young line that hasnt matured yet is a tough one to judge. Will they get there next year? Im inclined to bring in a vet RT as we can always take the tackles and move them inside and let them battle it out. Its a big priority that cant be left to hope the OL matures...take no chances and bring in an OT and evrn a road grader G too. If we jettison a young pup oh well...have to get Rivers to the SB in next 2 years.
      They HAD a vet RT in Barksfail and cut him mid-season in favor of Tevi. What does that tell you?
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Barksdale had mental health stuff going on, the team played who they had.

12 wins with Tevi and Feeney. How many more if we upgrade just those two spots?

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Just read that Brady has passed 90 times in the playoffs and has not been sacked once, despite playing two of the best pass rushing teams in the league in us and KC. I sure wish Whiz would look at what they are doing.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Holding on every play? We can try.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              Holding on every play? We can try.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Nothing you said negates NE holding on every play.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                  Charger Fan till the end
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Carolina
                  • Send PM

I agree its our offense that requires a longer protection. Dink and dunk is more what we did early when allen was getting a lot of passes. We got the ball out quick and had a good screen game and Rivers was not getting hit. Our problem is our WR are built to go deep too unlike NE so we go for the kill and maybe too often At risk of missing first downs and exposing our pass protection. NE gets first down after first down with quick play...gets the defense tired and they run out of the same sets so defenses arent tipped off.

That said do we go more conservative until the OL can protect better? 3 seconds and get rid of the ball. It works on multilevels. Pats do this until you commit to stopping then they switch to another mode then come back to it innthe 4th when defenses soften. Its agressive but simple which maybe explains the success of many new faces.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Nothing you said negates NE holding on every play.
                    I didn't notice them holding any more than the Chiefs, Rams or Saints were.

Comment

• CTrout
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

The first time Whiz was here they did just that. That was the year we dominated in T.O.P. I'm not really sure why we never really stuck with it. I wish they'd do it more.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post

The first time Whiz was here they did just that. That was the year we dominated in T.O.P. I'm not really sure why we never really stuck with it. I wish they'd do it more.
                        I wonder how much of it has to do with our receiving corp. Right now, only Keenan seems to get quick separation. Tyrell has good top end speed, but doesn't seem to be quick off the line. Williams has okay speed and doesn't seem to quick off the line either. TB, well, he doesn't seem to do anything well except go deep.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I wonder how much of it has to do with our receiving corp. Right now, only Keenan seems to get quick separation. Tyrell has good top end speed, but doesn't seem to be quick off the line. Williams has okay speed and doesn't seem to quick off the line either. TB, well, he doesn't seem to do anything well except go deep.
                          I think it is more than the recievers not separating because Keenan as mention has quick feet and always separates, I think when we Melvin Gordon got dinged up and our running game wasn't the same, Eckler is a good change of pace, as is Jackson, but Gordon was physical and could wear a defense down. If you notice when Gordon was playing hurt or didn't play teams played us differently and when Gordon was healthy defenses had to respect the running game and Rivers was in better position to go deep and was completing them. Whiz never adjusted with shorter drops and quick slants this is something Keenan Allen and Tyrell could do Allen consitently beats his man on these types of routes, and Tyrell would take a 5 yard slant and go 15 yards or so, when Mike Williams emerge it seems like we had a mentality go deep, and teams took note of that. The oline wasn't as good because we weren't consistent running and we were in obvious passing downs getting beat while Rivers would scan the field looking deep or long. Whiz seem like he was Norv Turner we are going deep they can't stop us, but they were stopping us and we didn't adjust because the philosphy the combinations of Allen and the Williams are better than your DB's and they are in combonations one of faster(TWill) one is more physical (MWill) one is just so crafty (KA) and all of them were. 6'2" and taller. Whiz/Turner deserves some blame in not adjusting. OIine is not pass blocking well lets do quick short passes and we weren't doing as many screens..

Comment

Working...
                          X