Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

If I can read between the lines, F. Lamp is the 6th lineman of that offense
    The 6th lineman of an offense should be able to play T or G
    F. Lamp is an upgrade over Wiggins, at least...

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Not sure what lines you are reading through to get that conclusion! He'll be our starting guard in the season opener.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

They are preparing as if he COULD be the 6th OL.

They are also letting him compete for the starting LG spot. Presumably, he would be switched to another position if that gets our 5 best OL onto the field. I don't know why everyone is trying to read so much into this. It is a competition and the coaches have not preselected the winner. They will let it play out till closer towards the end of camp, and let the rest of the chips fall where they may.

All that being said, I agree with Blue, in that they probably see him as a more natural OG. But there have been plenty of OG who have been forced to play OT from time to time, and some of them did a pretty good job.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Wow, a conditional pick to try out a player with experience at a position of need. Brilliant. TT, take note.

The New York Jets are continuing to add to their offensive front, as it was reported on Monday that they have traded for former Baltimore Ravensoffensive guard Alex Lewis.

According to Manish Mehta of The New York Daily News, the Jets gave up a conditional seventh-round pick in 2020 for Lewis, who was about to be placed on waivers. The Jets anticipated that Lewis would draw interest on the open market, which is why they quickly decided to give the Ravens something in return for him.

Lewis was drafted by Baltimore in the fourth round of the 2016 NFL Draft. He started his college football career at the University of Colorado, where he played offensive tackle, guard and even some blocking tight end. After two seasons, he decided to transfer to Nebraska, where he started at left tackle.

Once in the NFL, Lewis was moved inside to guard and started in eight contests in his rookie season. The following preseason, Lewis suffered a shoulder injury which forced him to miss the entirety of 2017. Last year, Lewis played and started in 10 games for the Ravens.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
            I went back and looked at predraft thoughts regarding offensive tackle.

My conclusion is that none of the offensive tackles we as fans wanted were as good of scheme fits as Trey Pipkins.

Pipkins has the prerequisite athleticism to excel out in space, ala Sam Tevi.

It is the reoccurrence of a common theme...we, as fans love to second guess our decision makers, when in reality we lack the depth of knowledge needed.

Outside of a trade up, the potential moves have not been there for us.

To illustrate what I am saying, in the 2019 draft, the Chargers have said two offensive tackles interested them early, Jonah Williams and Andre Dillard...no one else.

Greg Little: excellent at mirroring opponents, but the antithesis of a strike early, Pat Meyer offensive tackle.

Jawaan Taylor: bad knee aside, he's an offensive guard in our scheme.

Dalton Risner: carbon copy of Feeney, Lamp, lacking in offensive tackle athleticism for our system.

Tytus Howard: HOU took him too early, bad fit for us in terms of skillset, red flags.

There's others.

My guess is that Okung's gonna be fine.

Okung--Feeney--Pouncey--Lamp--Tevi

Patience...think of CBA slowing development of Olinemen due to practising rules...think of year 3 benefits of same Pat Meyer coaching...think of scarcity.
            BUMP..

It is a good time to revisit this, both as far as attempting to understand the specific Chargers draft strategy,
            and in that many are ignoring scheme fit in a bit of cherrypicking 20-20 hindsight about who we should have drafted.

More advanced football takes please.
            Don't be so simplistic and repetitious.
            This friendly reminder especially pertains to Oline.
            Thanks.
            You don't know ball

Comment

• Boltgang74
              We Are The Storm!
              • Aug 2018
              • Send PM

TT has had a sufficient amount of time to put a good o line in front if our most important and for most favorite player.If Rivers gets throttled and this season falls short of a deep playoff run he should be gone.Sorry for the simplistic repetition.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Lamp bring injured for two years and so many other OL underperforming is not on TT IMO. Also this is the GM who built one of the best Ds in the league, dismantled the Ravens at their place in the playoffs. Would not throw him out with the bath water just yet lol.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                  We Are The Storm!
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Send PM

Hes the GM who drafted said players,who the hell else is responsible?!?But I dont think he should be ousted just yet.Lets see how HIS o line pans out for Rivers and our team this year.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

I'd fire Pat Meyers before TT. Just not a fan of watching the all too often Chinese fire drill he calls Oline play.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

That works for me.If this o line is trash this year TT and Lynn need to get someone in here to fix it quik.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                        I'd fire Pat Meyers before TT. Just not a fan of watching the all too often Chinese fire drill he calls Oline play.
                        Seconded

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Seconded
                          Ding Ding. We have a quorum.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment