Clear All
  • LIGHTS OUT
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • Sep 2018
    • Send PM

Gerald McCoy - Possible FA

Bucs may be cutting Gerald McCoy due to a change from 4-3 to 3-4:

http://www.espn.com/blog/tampa-bay-b...er-todd-bowles

He is 31 but is good vs the run and has had at least 6 sacks in 6 straight seasons from the DT position.

TT pay the man! (if he is released)
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Id be all over him. Cut Liuget.

Comment

• charger1993
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Damn hes 31 already??? Id like to have him. But thhats alil to old to throw top dollar he may want tho

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Im not a fan of throwing big dollars at players in their declining years. And anything over 30 is their declining years.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

He is the Andrew Whitworth of DT's. This team signed Mebane its possible they look for another Vet. Im not sure he would demand top dollar. I giess we will have to wait and see.

My point is Liuget is set to make close to 9M. Id rather give that money to McCoy. He may take a 1 or 2 year deal.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

With our cap space and some of our own free agents, I don't see us signing any top dollar guys

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
              He is the Andrew Whitworth of DT's. This team signed Mebane its possible they look for another Vet. Im not sure he would demand top dollar. I giess we will have to wait and see.

My point is Liuget is set to make close to 9M. Id rather give that money to McCoy. He may take a 1 or 2 year deal.
              It will depend on if we trade/cut players like Benjamin/Liuget/Addae, how we value this DT/DL draft class, what internal FA we resign, and his desire to play for a team on the verge/close to home to close it out. They could structure a deal that looks better than it is. Will they? Who knows.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• TTThunder
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Just curious, why didn't we get A.Whitworth? (But we did sign R.Okung, so it is not like we didn't pay top dollar to OL?)

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Why McCoy over Luiget? Just curious.

Comment

• Boltx
                    Dominate the day
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                    Why McCoy over Luiget? Just curious.
                    Liuget is coming back from a serious injury.
                    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

It's not the injury (to me) as much as production.

Liuget has missed time with injuries, but even when he is able to play he doesn't make that many plays. He did play better this season, but even if he had played 16 games, he was not on pace to perform at the same level as McCoy did (in 14 games).

McCoy is a steady performer. He has slipped some, but he is still a major force and the guy everyone still has to game plans against him. He also hasn't had nearly as good a supporting cast around him as he would with Ingram and Bosa.

All that being said, I don't see TB letting him go. McCoy may be the prototype for 3 tech DT, but 34 teams line up with a 3 tech most of the time these days. The whole concept of the 3 tech DT came from kicking a 5 tech DE in the 34 down over an OG.

The best choice who may get cut would be Leonard Williams of the Jets. He is the highest paid player on the team, they have a glut at DT and Williams is in the 5th year of his rookie deal. Personally, I think he would be a much better fit at 3 tech DT than as a 34 DE.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        It's not the injury (to me) as much as production.

Liuget has missed time with injuries, but even when he is able to play he doesn't make that many plays. He did play better this season, but even if he had played 16 games, he was not on pace to perform at the same level as McCoy did (in 14 games).

McCoy is a steady performer. He has slipped some, but he is still a major force and the guy everyone still has to game plans against him. He also hasn't had nearly as good a supporting cast around him as he would with Ingram and Bosa.

All that being said, I don't see TB letting him go. McCoy may be the prototype for 3 tech DT, but 34 teams line up with a 3 tech most of the time these days. The whole concept of the 3 tech DT came from kicking a 5 tech DE in the 34 down over an OG.

The best choice who may get cut would be Leonard Williams of the Jets. He is the highest paid player on the team, they have a glut at DT and Williams is in the 5th year of his rookie deal. Personally, I think he would be a much better fit at 3 tech DT than as a 34 DE.
                        Williams is a beast. I doubt he gets released, but if he does, move fast and hard for him IMO.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍