#77) Ifeatu Melifonwu (CB) SU/P. Turner (EDGE) UH
    #97) Bobby Brown (IDL) TAMU/A. Cisco (DB) SU
    #118) S. Hutcherson (IOL) SC/T. Doyle (OT) MOH
    #159) K. Yeboah (TE) UMS/ M. Wilson (DB) UFL
    #185) D.Deablo (DB/DLB) VT/D. Hamlin (DB) PITT
    #198) Gerrid Doaks (RB) UC/J. Kaindoh (EDGE/DL) FSU
    #241) B.Stephens (DB) SMU/M. Strachan (WR/TE) CWV

Comment

• I can see KA and Palmer on one side, Reed in motion....Slater kicks out with a toss to Eckler. There are a lot of new opportunities!!! Add in variations on the same with bubbles and screens and it becomes pretty exciting combined with the vertical threat of our speed guys. Just read the safety and go.

Comment

• I think Reed was a type of player that really suffered from not having a real offseason last year. He's another guy would make sure that he's on the jugs machine for 50 to 100 balls a day, I hope he is working hard with our receivers coach on the nuances of the position.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

When Reed was drafted, many people on this board and even Popper thought "he can be a Deebo Samuel-lite". And maybe lack of training camp hurt his ability to learn the offense or maybe Steichen and Lynn just didn't use him right. But the above - screens, sweeps -

So glad there is a new coaching staff
          I saw him run a few sweeps and screens, saw absolutely nothing special when he had the ball in his hands. Lack of TC, Rookie blues, etc ... not writing him off but the preseason hype from this forum was as if we nabbed the secret love child of Gale Sayers and Lance Alworth in the late round.

Comment

• Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I saw him run a few sweeps and screens, saw absolutely nothing special when he had the ball in his hands. Lack of TC, Rookie blues, etc ... not writing him off but the preseason hype from this forum was as if we nabbed the secret love child of Gale Sayers and Lance Alworth in the late round.
            Better OL play will probably help him a bit. Same with our RBs.

Comment

I Don't think Gale Sayers could have run behind that offensive line last year! LOL!

Superbowl Bound! Yeah Baby!

Comment

• Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I Don't think Gale Sayers could have run behind that offensive line last year! LOL!

I think Gale could have, but i get your point. Of all the years we said we would have an improved OL ... and there’s been many the last decade ... this is the year we have an improved OL!

I think its fair to say Reed didn’t get enough of a chance last year, between COVID and lockdowns and no TC PS etc etc. But when he had the ball - cmon, lets all be honest here. He was JAG. In the year hyped as THE BIGGEST WR CLASS IN HISTORY, ... we didn’t get much. We preferred or UDFAs to our draft picks.

btw - thats a great question for the smart guys here, but may be too soon. Was it really the greatest WR class in history, or was that just a big expert miss?

Comment

I think Gale could have, but i get your point. Of all the years we said we would have an improved OL ... and there’s been many the last decade ... this is the year we have an improved OL!

I think its fair to say Reed didn’t get enough of a chance last year, between COVID and lockdowns and no TC PS etc etc. But when he had the ball - cmon, lets all be honest here. He was JAG. In the year hyped as THE BIGGEST WR CLASS IN HISTORY, ... we didn’t get much. We preferred or UDFAs to our draft picks.

btw - thats a great question for the smart guys here, but may be too soon. Was it really the greatest WR class in history, or was that just a big expert miss?
                  We'll know after this season. There was a lot of talent in the first two rounds last year and some of these receivers should start to develop this year. It takes 1-2 seasons before most know what they have in wide receivers. This year was not bad either for wide receivers and hopefully we got a bargain in palmer. Joe Reed (5th round) is more like a Gadget receiver where if you get him into open space he's dangerous. Then again we had crappy blockers and poor play design other than Hit Guyton on the Bomb!

Superbowl Bound! Yeah Baby!

Comment

• Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

We'll know after this season. There was a lot of talent in the first two rounds last year and some of these receivers should start to develop this year. It takes 1-2 seasons before most know what they have in wide receivers. This year was not bad either for wide receivers and hopefully we got a bargain in palmer. Joe Reed (5th round) is more like a Gadget receiver where if you get him into open space he's dangerous. Then again we had crappy blockers and poor play design other than Hit Guyton on the Bomb!

I’ll pull out my hair if I see another end around play with MW or KA. They are too valuable to get injured by a stupid play. Put in a rookie instead. Hopefully Staley/Lombardi saw the one with MW last year that failed miserably and crossed it out the playbook.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

I’ll pull out my hair if I see another end around play with MW or KA. They are too valuable to get injured by a stupid play. Put in a rookie instead. Hopefully Staley/Lombardi saw the one with MW last year that failed miserably and crossed it out the playbook.
                      I just think on end arounds, Lynn & Steichen had zero clue when to call them. Watching Shanahan call plays, he has a progression to set up a play like an end around. Lynn or Steichen, I wonder if they had the same process or they just did it on a whim. As more often than not, the team seemed to be driving, the play failed and they had to punt as they lost yardage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I just think on end arounds, Lynn & Steichen had zero clue when to call them. Watching Shanahan call plays, he has a progression to set up a play like an end around. Lynn or Steichen, I wonder if they had the same process or they just did it on a whim. As more often than not, the team seemed to be driving, the play failed and they had to punt as they lost yardage.
                        Agree. On gadget plays, timing is everything.

We should also be running plenty of fake/decoy end arounds.

Comment

• We are getting a brand new offense.

Diagram your tricky plays on pieces of scratch paper
                          and send them in...

Staley.
                          Genius.

Comment

Working...
                          X