X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I think our back-up DT's are better than our back-up CB's, so I'd be inclined to take a CB if a good prospect is on the board at our pick.
    This is Chris Harris' last year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/chris-harris-8864/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cornerback/

Above are the 2022 CB free agents.

CB Darius Williams would be a nice addition, 28 yo, and great familiarity with Coach Staley.

Comment

• How about Jason Verret at 5.5M ?

Comment

• Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
        We will draft a ROT in the late first round.
        No mystery imo.
        it's fun to think about other positions, but ROT is the best chance at improving the whole team.
        So when I start looking at these prospects, I'll be going straight there.
        Here are two potential targets, not the worst thing and would solidify the OL.

Ohio State OT Nicholas Petit-Frere.

Or

UCLA OT Sean Rhyan

Selecting in a draft simulator took Rhyan #24 Bengals selected Petit-Frere #23.

Rhyan looks like the better fit more natural Behemoth RT prospect, Petit will get plugged in left side.

Comment

• Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I think our back-up DT's are better than our back-up CB's, so I'd be inclined to take a CB if a good prospect is on the board at our pick.
          Seriously. Do not want to see a Campbell trying to cover a Jefferson. Target CB high.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
            How about Jason Verret at 5.5M ?
            Lol, No. Missed the season again this year. Hell no

Comment

• Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              What are we going to do with these guys? Are they keepers? I hate putting them back on the PS.

Trio makes case for more work in Chargers’ defensive line rotation

Gavino Borquez
              Wed, November 24, 2021, 2:40 PM
              Without primary interior defensive linemen Linval Joseph, Jerry Tillery, and Christian Covington, the Chargers had to call on the backups and practice squad in the 41-37 victory over the Steelers.

Joining Justin Jones were first and second-year undrafted players Breiden Fehoko, Joe Gaziano, Forrest Merrill, and Andrew Brown.

What was viewed as a mismatch coming into the game, they made rookie running back Najee Harris a non-factor. They limited Pittsburgh to 55 yards on 18 carries — a 3.1 yards per attempt average.

While Jones anchored the unit, playing 81% of the defensive snaps, the others aided, with Gaziano and Fehoko being the standouts of the crop.

Playing the second-most defensive snaps out of the positional group (62%), Gaziano made positive things happen in both facets, creating inside pressure and stacking the run.

Gaziano finished with three tackles, a quarterback hit, and a pass deflection.

“I really felt Joe in pass rush and in run defense,” coach Brandon Staley said on Gaziano. “He just was active. He blocked a couple of shots. This guy was really active.”

Besides occupying blockers to help keep his teammates clean, Fehoko showed off brute strength to reset the line of scrimmage and some quickness to work his way through gaps.

Fehoko finished with three tackles.

“He has that warrior spirit,” Staley said on Fehoko. “He’s a multiplier, man. He just makes you feel good at the game because you know this guy is going to give you everything that he has.”

Merrill had just 11 snaps, but he still made the most of them.

Merrill’s highlight play showed off his press strength and natural low pad level, walking rookie center Kendrick Green to the lap of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Even though it was one of the best showings in the trenches this season with those guys, Los Angeles is likely to get Tillery and Covington back for the Week 12 matchup against the Broncos.

Tillery and Covington will likely resume their roles upon returning. But after Sunday, Gaziano, Fehoko, and Merrill proved they should be part of the rotation the rest of the way out.
              I want BS to use 6 DL instead of 5. It would help the defense more. Also, Staley should learn to manage the snaps of the d-linemen and edge rushers better. These positions take their toll and are physically demanding. In order to improve late game situations.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

I want BS to use 6 DL instead of 5. It would help the defense more. Also, Staley should learn to manage the snaps of the d-linemen and edge rushers better. These positions take their toll and are physically demanding. In order to improve late game situations.
                With 6, maybe Fehoko or Gaziano need to move up past Covington & Tillery.

Joseph, Jones, Tillery? (pass rush), Fehoko, Gaziano, Covington being order of depth chart.

Comment

• I liked film I saw of Fehoko at LSU.
                  I think he can be an anchor on an NFL D line.
                  He may not be a guy that'll push the pocket but he will occupy multiple blockers, make stops at the LOS, and keep White and Tranquil clean.
                  I'd prefer him to Covington or Tillery at the point of attack.

Comment

• I have a different solution for our running defense fix.
                    We have effective DTs who rotate between the PS and game day active roster.
                    Hmmm.
                    Staley.
                    Genius ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                      What are we going to do with these guys? Are they keepers? I hate putting them back on the PS.

Trio makes case for more work in Chargers’ defensive line rotation

Gavino Borquez
                      Wed, November 24, 2021, 2:40 PM
                      Without primary interior defensive linemen Linval Joseph, Jerry Tillery, and Christian Covington, the Chargers had to call on the backups and practice squad in the 41-37 victory over the Steelers.

Joining Justin Jones were first and second-year undrafted players Breiden Fehoko, Joe Gaziano, Forrest Merrill, and Andrew Brown.

What was viewed as a mismatch coming into the game, they made rookie running back Najee Harris a non-factor. They limited Pittsburgh to 55 yards on 18 carries — a 3.1 yards per attempt average.

While Jones anchored the unit, playing 81% of the defensive snaps, the others aided, with Gaziano and Fehoko being the standouts of the crop.

Playing the second-most defensive snaps out of the positional group (62%), Gaziano made positive things happen in both facets, creating inside pressure and stacking the run.

Gaziano finished with three tackles, a quarterback hit, and a pass deflection.

“I really felt Joe in pass rush and in run defense,” coach Brandon Staley said on Gaziano. “He just was active. He blocked a couple of shots. This guy was really active.”

Besides occupying blockers to help keep his teammates clean, Fehoko showed off brute strength to reset the line of scrimmage and some quickness to work his way through gaps.

Fehoko finished with three tackles.

“He has that warrior spirit,” Staley said on Fehoko. “He’s a multiplier, man. He just makes you feel good at the game because you know this guy is going to give you everything that he has.”

Merrill had just 11 snaps, but he still made the most of them.

Merrill’s highlight play showed off his press strength and natural low pad level, walking rookie center Kendrick Green to the lap of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Even though it was one of the best showings in the trenches this season with those guys, Los Angeles is likely to get Tillery and Covington back for the Week 12 matchup against the Broncos.

Tillery and Covington will likely resume their roles upon returning. But after Sunday, Gaziano, Fehoko, and Merrill proved they should be part of the rotation the rest of the way out.
                      Fehoko, Gaziano, and Merrill’s performance was the shocking good news from the Pittsburg game. Because so many DL starters were out, the general consensus was Chargers would get run over and be even worse than our last place defense against the run.

Instead they turned in one of, if not the best run defense of the Chargers season. I’m feeling a LOT better about run defense for the rest of the year if this trio stays in the rotation. I can see Tillery being in strictly on passing downs and Linval has a legit backup in Fehoko.

Comment

• Whatever this is, I like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Fehoko, Gaziano, and Merrill’s performance was the shocking good news from the Pittsburg game. Because so many DL starters were out, the general consensus was Chargers would get run over and be even worse than our last place defense against the run.

Instead they turned in one of, if not the best run defense of the Chargers season. I’m feeling a LOT better about run defense for the rest of the year if this trio stays in the rotation. I can see Tillery being in strictly on passing downs and Linval has a legit backup in Fehoko.

I wonder if the good performance is due to rotating these big guys so none play too many snaps and get tired out. Big bodies tire faster and I've always wondered why teams don't stock up on the fat guys upfront on both sides of the ball. It seems to me that a journeyman DL or OL who is fresh would have an advantage later in a game over a Pro Bowl player who has taken every snap.

Comment

Working...
                          X