X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Staley say's he's a line of scrimmage guy. I give credence to this report. And we need a tougher defender there.
    Staley is a trencher on both O and D.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Staley is a trencher on both O and D.
      Bears are 3-2 - so they still might be in teh playoff picture in a few weeks. Not sure if they move on from Hicks that early or not. I guess the next three weeks will tell the story on Hicks and other players. I am still focusing on Giants, Jets, Lions, Fish and Jags

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Bears are 3-2 - so they still might be in teh playoff picture in a few weeks. Not sure if they move on from Hicks that early or not. I guess the next three weeks will tell the story on Hicks and other players. I am still focusing on Giants, Jets, Lions, Fish and Jags
        You'd think even later round picks(5,6,7) might sway them to move a veteran, especially a disgruntled one.
        All those teams could use as many picks as possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

You'd think even later round picks(5,6,7) might sway them to move a veteran, especially a disgruntled one.
          All those teams could use as many picks as possible.
          Thats true. If Hicks is not playing or whatever in the Bears - worth a call. Per OTC, Hicks has a salary of 10.4m or 611k per game. So if the Chargers trade for him and he plays 10 games that 6.1m of cap - which they have 11.3m of space. I think thats how it would work. And the Chargers can easily give up as you said those picks as they should be getting back at least a 6th and 7's if not two of each round during comp allocation time in the Spring

If I am the Falcons, I think I can get a 4th for Patterson as his contract is so cheap.

I hope Telesco is willing to put a few chips on the table on Nov 2.

Comment

• Bolts sign LB Nate Hall for depth due to injury to Tranq:

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/202...news-nate-hall

Comment

• Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Way to much $ for what we would be getting at this stage of his career.
              He looks average some plays, and great on others. For his play, $10m seems high. He's a vet, but what kind of leader is he? Sometimes the value of a player is making other players better. Show them how to train, watch film, practice, etc. Other than Joseph we have a bunch of young guys in the front 7. Guys that haven't been with alot of other teams. I'm sure there are habits we could improve on.

Staley played with him in CHI. He's the right person to make this call.

Comment

• And, it's adios to Nate Hall and hello to 2 more trenchers:

The Chargers signed offensive tackle Foster Sarell and defensive lineman Andrew Brown to the practice squad. In correspondence, Los Angeles released linebacker Nate Hall, a day after he was added.

Sarell, who was once considered the nation’s top offensive tackle prospect, went undrafted out of Stanford. He signed with the Ravens and spent the summer there before being released. Sarell also spent some time on the Giants’ practice squad.

Brown, on the other hand, was recently released by L.A. before being picked up again.

Brown, a fifth-round pick by the Bengals in 2018, played in 21 games over his first three seasons, 18 with Cincinnati and three with the Texans. He was on the Colts prior to being released ahead of the 2021 season.

In that time period, he posted 17 tackles, one sack, one tackle for loss, and three quarterback hits.

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/20...-andrew-brown/

Comment

• Foster Sarell went from nation’s No. 1 offensive tackle to marginal NFL Draft prospect. What happened to arguably the Northwest’s best recruit ever?

April 29, 2021 Todd Milles, SBLive 0 Comments

Even though Foster Sarell is part of a large troop of 11 please-announce-my-name football hopefuls from Stanford University, he decided to come home to Graham (Wash.) this weekend to spend the 2021 NFL Draft with his family.

Once heralded as a first-round lock as an offensive tackle, Sarell now projects as a third-day pick — at best. There is also a chance the 6-foot-7, 315-pound behemoth might not be drafted at all.

It makes little sense.

Even to him.

“There were turbulent times in college, and things did not go the way I planned,” Sarell said by phone on Wednesday afternoon. “I don’t know why.”

And yet, it is obvious in his voice, he is ready to move past four up-and-down years on “The Farm.” All he is hoping for is a shot with an NFL franchise – to prove that he wasn’t just a hype-machine product coming out of high school.

“I know how tall, big, strong and athletic of a person I am,” Sarell said. “At the end of the day, I have unique, special abilities. I just had a couple bumps and bruises along the way.”

Unique, indeed.

In 2013, Sarell stepped right into the Graham-Kapowsin High School starting lineup, becoming the first ninth grader to ever start at left tackle in the formidable 4A South Puget Sound League.
                  (Photos by Vince Miller)
                  “He was the prototype – a guy who had great feet, was a great athlete and somebody who worked at his craft,” Eagles coach Eric Kurle said. “He always pushed himself to get better.

“In high school, he is the best football player, and lineman I’ve ever been around.”

And his national profile seemed to exponentially increase daily as a fast-and-furious finisher in his four seasons as a starter.

It really took off when Sarell was named the most valuable player at “The Opening” – a high-profile national showcase where he gave a performance many analysts thought was the best they had seen there in years.

By the time he was a senior, he was a first-team All-American pick by all the big national outlets (Parade, USA Today), was selected to play in the U.S. Army All-American game in San Antonio and was a consensus top-15 recruit nationally, regardless of position, by all the major services – including No. 2 overall by Scout.com.

“He’s the best offensive lineman I’ve seen out of the Northwest,” 247Sports.com national recruiting editor Brandon Huffman said.

So, why didn’t it work out so well at Stanford? Here are a couple things to consider:

*One of the unsung reasons Sarell chose the Cardinal was his relationship in the recruiting process with Mike Bloomgren, then the university’s offensive coordinator/offensive line coach. The two had aligning philosophies on what made for effective offensive-line play.

But after Sarell’s first season in 2017, Bloomgren left to fill the head-coaching vacancy at Rice University. Kevin Carberry was hired from the Washington Redskins as the school’s new position coach the rest of Sarell’s career.

*Sarell was rarely healthy. He suffered a myriad of lower-body injuries during his college career, including a serious knee injury that cost him much of his sophomore season in 2018 – and robbed him of the necessary strength to be a high-level blocker.

And yet, Sarell flashed moments of his old self from time to time. He started all 11 games at right tackle as a junior in 2019, and was voted an honorable mention selection to the all-Pacific-12 Conference team. And last fall, he made six final starts as a senior.

A week after the season ended, Sarell declared for the 2021 NFL Draft in late December – and immediately started working to increase his overall strength at a place called California Strength, which is a hub for U.S. Olympic powerlifters founded by Dave Spitz.

Sarell worked out with a group of NFL-aspiring college linemen, including Stanford teammate Drew Dalman, who is expected to be one of the centers taken in this weekend’s draft.

When he first started there, Sarell was able to repetitively bench 225 pounds just 20 times. He increased that total to 26 on his Stanford pro day in late March – and has done 29.

“I know the talent did not just up and disappear,” said Rob Rang, a contributing NFL Draft analyst for Fox Sports.

Sarell is confident he can still become an elite NFL player, adding “in my healthiest form, I am a very unique player.”

Now he just needs another opportunity to show a suitor.

“I have a whole lot of time in the game of football,” Sarell said.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  2021 Chargers - The Wussies of the West

Comment

• OVERALL

Sarell is a former 5-star tackle recruit and two-year starter at right tackle in Stanford's multiple-run scheme. He shows adequate foot quickness in pass protection, solid processing to handle basic stunts and serviceable upper-body strength to displace shades on vertical double-teams. Sarell has poor contact balance with a stiff lower half that causes his base to narrow on contact with persistent lunging in space on second-level targets.

He struggles mightily to drop his hips, root his feet and anchor against the bull rush, and he lacks the positional versatility in his background to add immediate depth value across the line. Sarell has some initial quickness, effectiveness on double-teams and smarts to warrant a camp invite, but he lacks the play strength and fluidness to consistently match up with NFL competition.

Comment

• Sarell. Goes from star to nobody. Can’t make Ravens or Giants practice squad. Not a promising prospect in my book.

Comment

Sarell. Goes from star to nobody. Can’t make Ravens or Giants practice squad. Not a promising prospect in my book.
                        Peaked in 9th grade

Comment

Sarell. Goes from star to nobody. Can’t make Ravens or Giants practice squad. Not a promising prospect in my book.
                          Maybe Staley thinks he can coach him up...

Comment

Working...
                          X