• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lyth
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2018
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Gordon never really was in a position to force the issue and everyone including he and his noisy agents have known this all along. He is in injury prevention mode by not playing and waiting for the slim chance that some other team is willing to grossly overpay for him due to an injury (which I just don't see happening for the price tag) or whatever the magic report by date is to fulfill his 5th year option.
    I can see it. What's a 2nd round pick and a couple of million dollars if you think that's all it will take to get you into the playoffs? Think of the horrible decisions we see before the season even starts. Compound that with the pressure of your GM plan being derailed in week 1 or 2 by an injury. I still think there's a 50-50 chance someone comes calling. What value does he have to us at this point? A roster spot for 2.8m that won't risk injury? TT seems pretty smart. Stubborn about his boundaries, but I think he can usually assess value pretty well. I think he'll make the deal if there is one.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lyth View Post

I can see it. What's a 2nd round pick and a couple of million dollars if you think that's all it will take to get you into the playoffs? Think of the horrible decisions we see before the season even starts. Compound that with the pressure of your GM plan being derailed in week 1 or 2 by an injury. I still think there's a 50-50 chance someone comes calling. What value does he have to us at this point? A roster spot for 2.8m that won't risk injury? TT seems pretty smart. Stubborn about his boundaries, but I think he can usually assess value pretty well. I think he'll make the deal if there is one.
      It would not be a 2nd and a couple of million dollars, it would be a second and a long term contract for Gordon in the 4-5 year range for $13-14 million per year. If Gordon was willing to play for a couple of million, he would have already reported for his $5.6 million.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by maurile View Post

Not correct. The Week 10 deadline (six games to play) and the roster exemption issue both have to do with getting an Accrued Season.

Neither has to do with tolling a contract.

They are separate issues, although they are often confused in media reports.

Gordon does not have to worry about an Accrued Season. He only has to worry about tolling. There is no precedent, no language in the CBA, and no language in the standard player contract that makes Week 10 relevant to the issue of tolling.
        If true, Gordon would not have to report at all this season and his contract expires. Chargers could fine him and still tag him next season

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Let me comb through the sources you reference, analyze the cases, distinguish when necessary and see if there is any relevant precedent. I will present a fully fleshed out memo for you in the morning
          Excellent. We will expect said memo by 11:00 am.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

What you call ancient history, i and most every lawyer/agent in football call legal precedent

to be safe he reports by week 9, in fact I will gladly take bets on it. He could take a chance and report just before Nov 29th, but there is a risk in that. I am 100% confident he will not risk getting tolled and being in the exact same position to start 2020.
            Lawyers/agents...SMH.

Legal precedent is something always subject to the changing times and new rulings.

Gordon may have a threshold case, one where new legal precedent is established.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Lawyers/agents...SMH.

Legal precedent is something always subject to the changing times and new rulings.

I said the same in a subsequent post. Precedent is precedent until challenged and changed. Keep in mind, he will have forfeited most of this seasons salary and at that point, need to pay a legal team, and risk being back to square 1 for the start of next year. Another holdout? More fines while the clock is ticking on his prime earning years. Not a wise gamble, but then again his team hasnt shown to be too wise in this instance anyway.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Lawyers/agents...SMH.

I dont see any new threshold vis a vis Galloway, but hey it isn't my career and money being flushed.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I dont see any new threshold vis a vis Galloway, but hey it isn't my career and money being flushed.
                  The threshhold would be the arbitrary, capricious terms of the CBA. MG III's might talk him into going there. Albeit judge's tend to not get involved in labor issues of this type. There are some deep rabbit holes here.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

The threshhold would be the arbitrary, capricious terms of the CBA. MG III's might talk him into going there. Albeit judge's tend to not get involved in labor issues of this type. There are some deep rabbit holes here.
                    Still a 16 game season based contract. I can not see what constitutes fulfilling a yesr having changed. But u never know.

Comment

• Lyth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

It would not be a 2nd and a couple of million dollars, it would be a second and a long term contract for Gordon in the 4-5 year range for $13-14 million per year. If Gordon was willing to play for a couple of million, he would have already reported for his $5.6 million.
                      I meant over paying a couple million. He's a good back that hovers around top 5. Who knows what he could be with a line that plays to his strength, downhill running. 10 million is probably the right number. He wants 13. They're not that far apart if you think it makes you a true contender.

Comment

• maurile
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

If true, Gordon would not have to report at all this season and his contract expires.
                        Me: To be a free agent next season, Gordon has to report by Week 9 and here's why.

You: If that's true, he doesn't have to report at all in order to become a free agent.

Me: :wtf:

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by maurile View Post

Me: To be a free agent next season, Gordon has to report by Week 9 and here's why.

You: If that's true, he doesn't have to report at all in order to become a free agent.

Me: :wtf:

Comment

Working...
                          X