• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Right.
    And bringing up the Joey Galloway precedent is just not all that compelling.
    Murky at best.
    Know this.
    Ed McGuire started at the league office.
    He has got this, as well as anyone is capable of getting this.
    You don't know ball

Comment

• maurile
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Accrued Seasons are irrelevant here. No player can sit out a whole season and run out his contract. The CBA doesn't say so. His contract says so. It's in the standard player contract. There's no indication that Gordon's contract says anything different.

It's not a loophole. It works the same way in your second year, fifth year, or fifteenth year. Not playing at all does not constitute performance of a contract.

Comment

• PR#1
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Thank you !! This is what I have been trying to say.

I agree with you that it is a grey area in the CBA and fines only can occur. There is nothing in the CBA that says he loses his FA eligibility.

Gordon with his attorneys may try to sue the NFL to be a FA after sitting out the entire season. This is uncharted territory.

My guess is Telesco gets sick of the situation and releases him outright and tries to grab a RB in next years draft, maybe the third round and is done with the Gordon headache.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by maurile View Post

Accrued Seasons are irrelevant here. No player can sit out a whole season and run out his contract. The CBA doesn't say so. His contract says so. It's in the standard player contract. There's no indication that Gordon's contract says anything different.

It's not a loophole. It works the same way in your second year, fifth year, or fifteenth year. Not playing at all does not constitute performance of a contract.
          It sounds like you are convinced that Gotdon's agents would not dare to challenge the legal standing of established contract, labor law.

They've been crazy so far, why not ?

I'm asking, given your expertise.

jamrock, same question, given your expertise.
          You don't know ball

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

The question is, what is the remedy for breach of the contract in the 5th year option. The CBA specifically addresses it and only has fines.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

Thank you !! This is what I have been trying to say.

I agree with you that it is a grey area in the CBA and fines only can occur. There is nothing in the CBA that says he loses his FA eligibility.

Gordon with his attorneys may try to sue the NFL to be a FA after sitting out the entire season. This is uncharted territory.

My guess is Telesco gets sick of the situation and releases him outright and tries to grab a RB in next years draft, maybe the third round and is done with the Gordon headache.
              Even if he were to be a FA, the Chargers could tag him

Comment

• maurile
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The question is, what is the remedy for breach of the contract in the 5th year option. The CBA specifically addresses it and only has fines.
                The contract specifically addresses it. The answer is tolling.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

At this point, I consider just pulling any offer, and prepare to give Ekeler a decent contract.

Comment

• PR#1
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

​​​​​​
                    This is entirely incorrect. You don't become a free agent after some number of years of service (or else Tom Brady would be a free agent by now, but he's not). You can become a free agent with zero years of service, or one year of service...

Years of service have nothing to do with becoming a free agent. The way you become a free agent is by not being under contract.

The way to no longer be under contract is by (a) getting cut, or (b) playing out your contract until it ends. Sitting out doesn't help with (b).

You're just making up your own laws now?

No, years of service don't make you a free agent. Not being under contract does. Gordon is still under contract. If he sits out all year, he'll still be under contract next season as well. That's what tolling means.

Players with four year contracts become free agents after for years of performance (unless they are extended). Players with five year contracts become free agents after five years of performance.

Tolling always applies. And again, nobody ever becomes a free agent based on years of service. Tom Brady has never been a free agent. You become a free agent by no longer being under contract. Gordon still has a year left. If he sits out all season, he'll still have a year left.

I don't know why you're arguing about any of this. None of it is controversial
                    What I was discussing with Mike was the slotting of contracts for ROOKIES in the current CBA. In 2011 all Rookie contracts must conform to the CBA guidelines.

Are you saying in the current CBA if someone is drafted 14th, then an owner can sign them to a 100 million dollar 10 year deal ? That simply isn't true. The CBA talks about slotting as well. By that I mean the 14th player picked makes slightly more than the 15 player picked, etc. But the years and duration are exactly the same. Bonus payments can differ slightly as well. But the contracts are essentially identical.

This structure was adopted in the 2011 CBA to avoid rookie holdouts as owners were tired of them. I directly quoted the CBA in an earlier post where it says rookies achieve FA in 4 years.

If all contracts for ROOKIES are similar then there is nothing to hold out over, although Bosa somehow got around this.

Brady is not relevant to this discussion as he is not on a ROOKIE contract according to the 2011 CBA and at this point he is on his 3rd or 4th contract. So you are correct about Brady. He is under a non ROOKIE contract to whatever the Patriots signed him to so he has to conform to that.

Make sense ?
                    Last edited by PR#1; 09-12-2019, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• PR#1
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Even if he were to be a FA, the Chargers could tag him
                      This is true. The only recourse Telesco has is to tag him for the 6th year.

Gordon and his team are gambling that Telesco won't do that as that might force Gordon to hold out again ala Bell.

Comment

• PR#1
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Yes, they do have to wait IF the option year is picked up., if it isn't then they are a FA. They also get a much larger bonus. I am done arguing. Would u care to place a wager that Gordon reports? Because he sure as hell wouldn't if he and his team felt like there is any way he could be a FA next year without reporting. Btw, they would also be chirping about it to apply pressure for a trade or getting a deal done. Show me where they have ever said they can go all year without reporting AND be a FA next season....hasn't happened because they know he can't. If you want to put your money where your mouth is, I am all for it. Shall we bet 1000?
                        I generally try to stay away from making large money bets with total strangers on the internet.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not here to prove myself right or anybody else wrong.

I just enjoy talking Chargers football with my new Charger friends !!! :beer:

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

The contract specifically addresses it. The answer is tolling.
                          I have done further research and agree that the Standard contract has a provision for tolling. But it doesn't say when he would need to report.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍