• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
    While this is not great news....it does show that when the news does start happening....we will be active. Really looking forward to seeing this place run during camp. This will be a fun year for us as a bolt family.

Cant wait.
    Hehe, news, like...what were the details of the offer and what did MG demand? Too early of course as it's still being hashed out. I don't like MG making public remarks like "disrespect" right off the bat. Bad sign. You think making those public remarks will cause an outcry among fans in your favor? "

MG quote: "I worked my butt off..." You mean everyone else slouched it?

Want to be traded to a non competitive loser team just so you get your "respect" ? If so...good luck with that and good riddance. It'll just show everyone what kind of person you are and your priorities.
    Last edited by Caslon; 07-11-2019, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• jubei
      Vagabond Ninja
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

this disrespect stuff sounds a lot like widdle. however, gordon hasnt fudged about his contract until this offseason AFAIK where widdle went at it for a couple of seasons IIRC. still, waiting this late by him and his agents is a douche move. i understand that it puts the team in a tighter spot and may work out better for him that way, but what if in TC the 3-headed monster of Ekkie, JJ, and DN put it together. Dont have to look any further than the cheatriots to realize you dont need star power at RB to win.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lyth View Post
        I get it. They don't agree on value. Happens lots. Will always happen.

The problem I have is the timing. This is coming out 30 days from TC? Complete failure by the team. No time to replace him. Can't draft. Good FA's are taken. Average FA's are taken.

We're not as good of a team without Gordon. He knows it and is probably asking for more than he would have last year at this time. The Chargers know this, and are making a SB push. It's a tough spot. It may be bad for the future but I don't see how we let him walk right now. Would any of you risk a legit shot at a SB to save the money for later? We just need to make sure the contract isn't completely front loaded so we can move on (after we have a replacement in the house) after a year or two.

Why wasn't this worked out in Feb/Mar? Perceptions of value weren't going to change. Waiting this long is where TT dropped the ball.
        TT didn't drop the ball, Gordon is trying to screw the team by pulling this stunt after the draft and free agency is over. He's a good player but we were 4-0 without him last year. Time to give the young guys a shot and let him piss away a year in the prime of his career moping about how disrespected he is because he would "only" get $5.6 million this year (which is what he agreed to by signing his contract).

Comment

• Caslon
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
          this disrespect stuff sounds a lot like widdle. however, gordon hasnt fudged about his contract until this offseason AFAIK where widdle went at it for a couple of seasons IIRC. still, waiting this late by him and his agents is a douche move. i understand that it puts the team in a tighter spot and may work out better for him that way, but what if in TC the 3-headed monster of Ekkie, JJ, and DN put it together. Dont have to look any further than the cheatriots to realize you dont need star power at RB to win.
          I concur. The timing was baaad, real bad. He was all heads up and making positive statements about how he wants to really excel this year and win a championship with the Chargers. Now all this about demanding a high paying long term contract and putting the Spanos' family up against a wall. Good move MG. He might just as well said..."color me gone." lol. I hope not.

P.S. The Chargers have never ever been ones to cave in willy nilly like some other team owners with deep pockets and wanting a SB ring.

"I fought the law and the law won."
          Last edited by Caslon; 07-11-2019, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

TT didn't drop the ball, Gordon is trying to screw the team by pulling this stunt after the draft and free agency is over. He's a good player but we were 4-0 without him last year. Time to give the young guys a shot and let him piss away a year in the prime of his career moping about how disrespected he is because he would "only" get $5.6 million this year (which is what he agreed to by signing his contract).
            And what other choice did Gordon have when presented with his 5th year option?
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

And what other choice did Gordon have when presented with his 5th year option?
              That's how the league works. He knew this when we was drafted. He knew it when he signed the contract that it would pay him $16.3 million with the option year. Hard to imagine someone saying with a straight face how disrespected they are after pocketing nearly $11 million dollars for playing football for 4 years.

Comment

• Caslon
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

That's how the league works. He knew this when we was drafted. He knew it when he signed the contract that it would pay him $16.3 million with the option year. Hard to imagine someone saying with a straight face how disrespected they are after pocketing nearly $11 million dollars for playing football for 4 years.
                It doesn't help that players read and react to what others have gotten. "I want the same, and better."
                Last edited by Caslon; 07-11-2019, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

It doesn't help that players read and react to what others have gotten.
                  I understand why he is doing it - he thinks he has maximum leverage to try and extort, er...squeeze money out of a legitimate SB contender by waiting until now. It just pisses me off that people don't live up to what they agreed to and the tired disrespect card is just so old at this point.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                    Heh, security. MG's not going to the poorhouse should he suffer something catastrophic this year. Play out the year, do well...then shoot for the moon. Honor your commitment first. Have faith that doing so will pay off well. In other words, MG suddenly takes a step back due to injury or poor performance on the last year of a contract. Does that warrant that you should have 4 more years locked in beforehand ???

Increasingly, players are demanding a long term contract before entering the final year of their rookie contract. Respect? Commitment? "Don't disrespect me" !

"Pride goeth before a fall." (Shakespeare).
                    What do you mean by commitment? Gordon is not legally bound to play football this year. He has a talent and will finally get the opportunity to market it next year. It makes absolute sense that he not risk a 20 - 30 million dollar signing bonus next year for $5 million this year. If i were him, that's what i would do. He has no moral obligation to do otherwise...zero.

Comment

• Caslon
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

What do you mean by commitment? .
                      Right. Commitment to the fans and his teammates. That's what I meant. We got some activity going on here again. Thanks MG.
                      Last edited by Caslon; 07-11-2019, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

I understand why he is doing it - he thinks he has maximum leverage to try and extort, er...squeeze money out of a legitimate SB contender by waiting until now. It just pisses me off that people don't live up to what they agreed to and the tired disrespect card is just so old at this point.
                        No NFL team is committed to "honoring" these contracts; they often cut players well before the rookie contract expires if they don't live up to expectations. Gordon is one injury away from ending his career, and if he risks a future contract out of devotion to the team, Telesco and other GMs will still take a very cold blooded attitude about his 'honorable' conduct. What can you produce for us next year?

Comment

• Caslon
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

No NFL team is committed to "honoring" these contracts; they often cut players well before the rookie contract expires if they don't live up to expectations. Gordon is one injury away from ending his career, and if he risks a future contract out of devotion to the team, Telesco and other GMs will still take a very cold blooded attitude about his 'honorable' conduct. What can you produce for us next year?
                          Gordon may unintentionally or is intentionally trying to upset the apple cart. Wrong team ownership to try that on. Hehe, ask AJ Smith.
                          Last edited by Caslon; 07-11-2019, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X