• Show
Clear All
  • Blue Thunder
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Arlington, TX
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Won't sign for 2019? He is already under contract. That issue would arise next season if tagged.
    You're right, of course. I meant won't play instead of won't sign.

Comment

• Blue Thunder
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Arlington, TX
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

What if we raised his salary just this year? Say add another 3.5. Pay him 9 for the season. He moves on next year?
      That seems to me like the only way that he will play a full season for the Chargers in 2019. An extention is just not in the Chargers plans, imo.

But, would he agree to that, knowing that he is not "securing his future", merely pushing it down the road a year?

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Then trade him for Tevin Coleman?
        they already have one horrible rb contact in McKinnon at 7.9MM a yr (still scratch my head on that one). U think they want to have 18-20MM tied up on 2 rbs with knee issues?

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

What if we raised his salary just this year? Say add another 3.5. Pay him 9 for the season. He moves on next year?
          If i am running the team... NO F'N WAY. then you are forced with the smae issues of guys having one good yr on rookie deal with time left holding you hostage. Or vets doing the same. It sets a really bad precedent and is a slippery slope going forward. U can not run a franchise that way.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

they already have one horrible rb contact in McKinnon at 7.9MM a yr (still scratch my head on that one). U think they want to have 18-20MM tied up on 2 rbs with knee issues?
            True. Forgot about that little fucker and bad he got overpaid. I saw the mention of SF and Coleman instantly came to mind.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

If i am running the team... NO F'N WAY. then you are forced with the smae issues of guys having one good yr on rookie deal with time left holding you hostage. Or vets doing the same. It sets a really bad precedent and is a slippery slope going forward. U can not run a franchise that way.
              Good point. I sure do want him this year though. But would prefer we just draft a stud next year. I wonder how this plays out.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

No, you don't have to sympathize with them. You do have to realize that Gordon has not been a die-hard Charger fan his whole life. It's a business & loyalty probably doesn't extend very far beyond their teammates. On a larger scale, there hasn't been any fealty to community on part of a corporation for a long time. It would ironic to be loyal to an organization that ditched their fan base a few years ago.
                That's right. You think the Bolts are loyal to their fan base? Hell no. It's all about getting all you can get.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Big Dog
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

As a Chargers fan, here is what pisses me off:

- Just weeks ago MG said he would like a new contract but would play ... now he wants to hold out or trade

- Chargers were 1st tier Super Bowl contenders with him and they are 2nd tier contenders without him

- MG is killing the teams chances and killing the team vibe that was rolling well before that

And specificity about his salary demands:

- Even the Rams think Todd is overpaid now
                  - Jets GM got fired in part for over-paying Bell
                  - MG is worth more than 5.6 million but not anywhere near what Todd or Bell are getting ... maybe 9 max
                  - MG is good but he is not great and he ain't worth it

- MG ran for 1,000 + yards once in 4 years
                  - MG played all 16 games once in 4 years
                  - MG has been a top 10 RB once in 4 years
                  - 75% change he gains less than 999 yards
                  - 75% chance he misses multiple games
                  - He wants to be paid like a top 3 RB but he is not
                  ​​​​​​- His style and size makes him likely to be injured

I don't like how he played this and he hate him for ruining our Super Bowl chances, we won't get much for trading him, so make hit sit out all season and then franchise him so he becomes a free agent entering his age 29 season.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Good point. I sure do want him this year though. But would prefer we just draft a stud next year. I wonder how this plays out.
                    Then we can go though this again 4 years into that guys contract. If he's a stud, he ain't playing a fifth year on the team's terms.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

He has to show for week 10 or he gets no credit for this year. He can not sit the season a be a FA next yr. He also will be fined up the wazzoo.

He may ask for an agreement that if he shows for the start of the season they won't franchise him next year. Otherwise he really doesn't hold much leverage when you get right down to it.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Then we can go though this again 4 years into that guys contract. If he's a stud, he ain't playing a fifth year on the team's terms.
                        That is how i would run my team anyway. I would not sign rbs to second contracts. But that means u need to draft them in rd 1 to get that extra year of control.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

He has to show for week 10 or he gets no credit for this year. He can not sit the season a be a FA next yr. He also will be fined up the wazzoo.

He may ask for an agreement that if he shows for the start of the season they won't franchise him next year. Otherwise he really doesn't hold much leverage when you get right down to it.
                          Super. Yeah i know the details of the situation. I just want him all year. This is a huge year for us. I think we are that close. And hes a major baller for us. Long term replaceable. But it would be nice to have him this year.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍