• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

There is plenty of talk amongst punditry that the NFL ought to completely eliminate the 5th year option.

The new Collective Bargaining Agreement will no doubt address this, in a couple of years.

Meanwhile RB Melvin Gordon will end up being the threshhold case.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Per TT: "He's playing here".

MG can nuke some popcorn and put up his feet - he's not going anywhere anytime soon. Nobody is begging the Chargers to trade them a guy demanding a $13M+/year long term deal. He can watch TV for zero or come play for $5.6M.

I could see if he was on some sort of shit $800k rookie deal. but $5.6 Megapops? I would play.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

One way of looking at the top 3 RB is that they set the top of the RB market. However, if you plot RB salaries on a graph, a strong argument can be made that they overvaluing the top of the RB market. Gordon is under pressure because there is a very real chance that the 2 of the top 3 RB could be taking pay cuts soon, revaluing the entire position. He has to cash in now, which is why I don't think there is any way he budges off his holdout.

Leaveon Bell is on a team that is not thrilled with him, and potentially the HC no longer wants him at an age where his production is likely to drop. He also signed a deal which makes it possible for the team to cut him next season and while it wouldn't free up much cap space, it gives them a chance to move on if they want. The deal was structured with this in mind. They knew this might happen, and it was only because Bell was desperate that he signed it.

Same with Johnson, in AZ. If he either can't stay healthy, or doesn't fit the new scheme, then it possible for them to walk away from him and save some cap space towards next season. They will want the situation to work out so they don't look like idiots for throwing money at him, but if it isn't working, Johnson's contract was structured with this idea in mind.

You lose those two, Gordon is not going to get anywhere near what he wants. And that impacts what he could ask next year as a FA, even if he is not with the Chargers. He needs to put pressure on the Chargers and get his deal now, because if the market does set back down, then he runs a very real risk of making closer to what he is getting in his 4th year deal, instead of what he wants (Gurley money).

The Rams are under a lot of pressure with the fact that they are a playoff-caliber team whose best offensive weapon is potentially unavailable with an arthritic knee. The structure of the deal does allow them to cut Gurley, although he is in a lot less dangerous than the others. But Gurley signed the big deal that was not structured for them to move away from him, so he is not going anywhere until probably 2021, although they can still break even and walk away with a June 1st cut if they need to.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
          Pretty much retired......
          • Sep 2018
          • JoJa
          • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
          • Send PM

If we get a fair value offer I say pull the trigger. Because even if he ends up playing at the 5.6 contract, he will not be happy and we cannot risk the cancer........

Comment

• JOJAX85
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2018
            • Irmo, SC
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
            There is plenty of talk amongst punditry that the NFL ought to completely eliminate the 5th year option.

The new Collective Bargaining Agreement will no doubt address this, in a couple of years.

Meanwhile RB Melvin Gordon will end up being the threshhold case.
            The way the game has changed to a pass 1st Offense, if i were a GM, I think i would draft a new RB every 4 years in the 2nd Rd & just ride him till the brakes gave out. Sounds harsh, i know, but the mileage on that position shows itself much more than any other . Very rare any more tha a RB lives up to his 2nd contract.
            Last edited by JOJAX85; 07-26-2019, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

fwiw - most experts i've heard think the RB salary peeked. next year's Tag cost is expected to go down, not up. of course, someday the next big name will get another big contract and disprove it.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

The way the game has changed to a pass 1st Offense, if i were a GM, I think i would draft a new RB every 4 years in the 2nd Rd & just ride him till the brakes gave out. Sounds harsh, i know, but the mileage on that position shows itself much more than any other . Very rare any more tha a RB lives up to his 2nd contract.
                Agreed completely. One thing though. Melvin is really good at picking up blitzes.
                The others, not so much. I tout JJ too. But this is concerning.

I am hoping MG III comes in before too much of the season is gone.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Should we expect more high school and college rbs switching over to wr like that 9er rookie.
                  Getting hit the most and paid the least doesn't sound appealing
                  Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Agreed completely. One thing though. Melvin is really good at picking up blitzes.
                    The others, not so much. I tout JJ too. But this is concerning.

I am hoping MG III comes in before too much of the season is gone.
                    What is the basis for your opinion that Ekeler and Justin Jackson are not competent at picking up blitzes?

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      One way of looking at the top 3 RB is that they set the top of the RB market. However, if you plot RB salaries on a graph, a strong argument can be made that they overvaluing the top of the RB market. Gordon is under pressure because there is a very real chance that the 2 of the top 3 RB could be taking pay cuts soon, revaluing the entire position. He has to cash in now, which is why I don't think there is any way he budges off his holdout.

Leaveon Bell is on a team that is not thrilled with him, and potentially the HC no longer wants him at an age where his production is likely to drop. He also signed a deal which makes it possible for the team to cut him next season and while it wouldn't free up much cap space, it gives them a chance to move on if they want. The deal was structured with this in mind. They knew this might happen, and it was only because Bell was desperate that he signed it.

Same with Johnson, in AZ. If he either can't stay healthy, or doesn't fit the new scheme, then it possible for them to walk away from him and save some cap space towards next season. They will want the situation to work out so they don't look like idiots for throwing money at him, but if it isn't working, Johnson's contract was structured with this idea in mind.

You lose those two, Gordon is not going to get anywhere near what he wants. And that impacts what he could ask next year as a FA, even if he is not with the Chargers. He needs to put pressure on the Chargers and get his deal now, because if the market does set back down, then he runs a very real risk of making closer to what he is getting in his 4th year deal, instead of what he wants (Gurley money).

The Rams are under a lot of pressure with the fact that they are a playoff-caliber team whose best offensive weapon is potentially unavailable with an arthritic knee. The structure of the deal does allow them to cut Gurley, although he is in a lot less dangerous than the others. But Gurley signed the big deal that was not structured for them to move away from him, so he is not going anywhere until probably 2021, although they can still break even and walk away with a June 1st cut if they need to.
                      and the market will reset again with Zeke and Saquan

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post

What is the basis for your opinion that Ekeler and Justin Jackson are not competent at picking up blitzes?
                        Film study + reading sources I respect.

It is possible to be willing or to be pretty good at pass pro, and for that to not be enough at the pro level.
                        Last edited by wu-dai clan; 07-26-2019, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• Big Dog
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Melvin has already lost one of his team mates sounds like

Casey
                          .@show_case29 speaks to the media following day one of #ChargersCamp

In the click Casey gets asked a question about Bell's holdout being the same as MG3 and Casey answers "not the same at all, he had 2 franchise tags" ...

i think the offer for MG3 from the Chargers was 7-8 million and NOT 10-11 thatbis being thrown around ...

All the RB contracts above $8 million, the team that signed it wishes the hadn't ... and only time a RB is worth a penny more is if you have a rookie contract QB. MG3 is not a top 5 RB and his stats show that too, only went or 1,000 yards once.

Comment

Working...
                          X