Spot on, Steve.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

If he feels like he needs the big contract, then let him go.

I'm not saying it wouldn't hurt a little, but we have some other important players coming up in the next couple of seasons, so overpaying for guys is going to hurt in the future.

As far as the elite RB in terms of salary, you have to ask yourself if Gordon has had a season like that yet? Is he going to (NFL contracts are all about what your future production will be)?

We are going to lose some players we would like to keep. I would have loved to have kept Tyrell Willaims, but the price was just too steep. There will be more. How many more depends on how well we can do signing other players. The draft the next few years is going to be extremely important.
      Yep, agree 100%. Twill and MG3 are examples of players we'd like to keep, but are replaceable. Now, when it comes time to re-sign true difference makers like Rivers, Boss and Derwin, NOW we better do our best to cough up the cash...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

he's earned the big contract imo - dude has been a baller fighting for crumbs behind a shit OL. always giving his all, always being a teem guy. He wont get it here, but i'll be happy for him. Life of an NFL RB is short - he needs to squeeze the juice while he can
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
          he's earned the big contract imo - dude has been a baller fighting for crumbs behind a shit OL. always giving his all, always being a teem guy. He wont get it here, but i'll be happy for him. Life of an NFL RB is short - he needs to squeeze the juice while he can
          Can't argue that.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
            Depends on how much $$$ MG3 is expecting. If he wants a fair deal, I think the Bolts work it out. If he wants crazy money, adios...

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

RB contracts.png
              From over the cap (6/15)

Contracts aren't rocket science. Insert MG3 on the high side of where he fits in terms of comparable players (thinking in terms of average per year). Remember, the 3 elite guys have all had at least 1 pretty dominant season. MG3 hasn't yet.

The other thing that sets players apart is if they are decent receivers or not. MG3 is, so that puts him higher than Ingram or Bernard.

I would expect that his deal would need to be similar to McKinnon or Lamar Miller, so in the $7.5 mill per year. The deal would probably be a 4 year, so that gives some idea of the bonus money and

The part that also fits in is not just his production but the other players around him. We have lots of other players with contracts coming due, so it is not just about MG3. It also depends on how well the other RB perform. Ekeler has been explosive, but needs to do a better job of staying healthy and doing the dirty work type plays, and generally taking the pounding better. In my mind, he is still be suited as a 3rd down back. Jackson and Newsome are in the mix as a change of pace guys, but since we like to use our backs to do a bit of everything, they need to continue to improve their games.

Comment

• alex8080
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

with the ability to scout positives in 6th rd up incl udfa over the last few years at the wr and rb positions, it seems unlikely lac pays hard

Comment

• BrummieBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2019
                  • Birmingham, England
                  • Train Driver
                  • Send PM

Really hoping we can sort out the contract with him he deserves to be payed.

He is an important cog in the team.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

I actually don't mind paying him big bucks for his productive years. I just think there needs to be a cheap way out if he loses productivity due to age or injury.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                      I actually don't mind paying him big bucks for his productive years. I just think there needs to be a cheap way out if he loses productivity due to age or injury.
                      Well ther wont be. Gordon will get paid by somebody if not by us. Gurly got arthritis i his knee the year after, or year OF signig hi deal so he probably wil not fulfill hi contract that has a guaranteed 45 mil on it.

But teams/ Owners are their own worst enemies when it comes to signing players. Baseball is the worst offender but they dont have salary cap either. Still stupid to sign a 26 yea old like Harper to a 13 year deal or a 29 yea old to a 10 year deal. I dont feel sorry for them when they do dumb shit like that. Bobby Bonilla is still getting paid by the Mets and he has been out o the league since 2002 lol
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-15-2019, 11:32 AM.
                      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                      181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
                      225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st ➡️ 253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        RB contracts.png
                        From over the cap (6/15)

Contracts aren't rocket science. Insert MG3 on the high side of where he fits in terms of comparable players (thinking in terms of average per year). Remember, the 3 elite guys have all had at least 1 pretty dominant season. MG3 hasn't yet.

The other thing that sets players apart is if they are decent receivers or not. MG3 is, so that puts him higher than Ingram or Bernard.

I would expect that his deal would need to be similar to McKinnon or Lamar Miller, so in the $7.5 mill per year. The deal would probably be a 4 year, so that gives some idea of the bonus money and

The part that also fits in is not just his production but the other players around him. We have lots of other players with contracts coming due, so it is not just about MG3. It also depends on how well the other RB perform. Ekeler has been explosive, but needs to do a better job of staying healthy and doing the dirty work type plays, and generally taking the pounding better. In my mind, he is still be suited as a 3rd down back. Jackson and Newsome are in the mix as a change of pace guys, but since we like to use our backs to do a bit of everything, they need to continue to improve their games.
                        I might go for around $6-7 mil a year for MG3, but with an "out" after 2 or 3 years, insurance in case of injury or declining performance. Remember, Gordon's gotten banged up a bit...occupational hazard...
                        Last edited by Topcat; 06-15-2019, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I might go for around $6-7 mil a year for MG3, but with an "out" after 2 or 3 years, insurance in case of injury or declining performance. Remember, Gordon's gotten banged up a bit...occupational hazard...
                          If healthy, he'll get somewhere between 8 and 13 million dollars a year as a free agent.

Comment

Working...
                          X