• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Valued players rarely play out their last year. The teams want to lock them up a year early.

So as noted here many times, Gordon is not a valued player. He is a commodity to be used up and discarded.

Only Gordon doesn't see it that way.

I don't say pay him as a top 5 back, but find common ground and pay him his market value.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

You're kidding me.
      Not at all. That is a big problem today, too many people trying to be their kids friends and not their parents. That is not to say I don't joke around with them or have fun we do. We go on vacations and have fun but there needs to be respect as a parent. I do not let them disrespect their mother either. There is a line and they do not cross it.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

We may have bigger needs in the franchise tag area next year. I doubt we want to be using it on a disgruntled RB.
        At least the Bolts have 2 more years to save up to re-sign Bosa...they may need to use the franchise on HIM, unless he pulls a Gordon...

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

At least the Bolts have 2 more years to save up to re-sign Bosa...they may need to use the franchise on HIM, unless he pulls a Gordon...
          That is it exactly the money is needed in much more important areas. Bosa, then in another couple of years after that James. Gordon is a nice back and had improved tremendously but he is a RB easily replaced for cheaper.

Comment

• SDBORN
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
            Valued players rarely play out their last year. The teams want to lock them up a year early.

So as noted here many times, Gordon is not a valued player. He is a commodity to be used up and discarded.

Only Gordon doesn't see it that way.

I don't say pay him as a top 5 back, but find common ground and pay him his market value.
            The RB position is no longer what it once was in terms of valuation in general. Some of the top tier RB's will get there big payday, but that really depends on the team. The Chargers can't do that with a veteran QB and other more important players on their payroll. If we had a starting rookie QB, then maybe it would be possible. Gordon is just going to have to realize that this organization cannot afford 13-15 Mil a year on the position at hand. If he wants to get paid 9-10Mil a year, there is room for discussion.

What seems clear is that the Chargers do value Gordon, but they don't perceive his value the same way he does. On the open market it's possible he may find a better deal with a team that has more cap space if the timing is right. So as you said, don't pay him top 5 money. There is no room for that.

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Trade him.
              That money is better spent elsewhere.
              RBs like Gordon often dont play all 16 games.
              They team has already proved they can still win without him. 4-0 last 4 times he was out.

Id rather they try to trade to get a player.
              L.McCoy-RB and 5th rd pick for Gordon.
              D.Parker-WR and 5th rd pick for Gordon.
              I dont know...just throwing out a couple ideas.
              But I hope they don't pay him a big deal. As I dont believe any RB makes the difference as far as winning a championship.
              QB, entire defense, o-line, special teams, WR, TE and last is RB.
              Dont pay the least important position a giant bag of money.
              Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                Trade him.
                That money is better spent elsewhere.
                RBs like Gordon often dont play all 16 games.
                They team has already proved they can still win without him. 4-0 last 4 times he was out.

Id rather they try to trade to get a player.
                L.McCoy-RB and 5th rd pick for Gordon.
                D.Parker-WR and 5th rd pick for Gordon.
                I dont know...just throwing out a couple ideas.
                But I hope they don't pay him a big deal. As I dont believe any RB makes the difference as far as winning a championship.
                QB, entire defense, o-line, special teams, WR, TE and last is RB.
                Dont pay the least important position a giant bag of money.
                Mccoy is old, declining quickly, turns 32 this weekend and 8 MM
                parker is mr May, never Mr. Play.

Rb by committee has worked well for pats and Eagles.

Comment

• captaind
                  Cook This Pork Chops
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Mars
                  • Ball Holder
                  • Send PM

We were never going to ride Melvin's back to a Super Bowl. He's good, but he's not that good.

Trade away, I say.

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

He's not worth any more than he's already making. We'd be fortunate if a team gives up a 3rd rounder knowing how much he's asking for in salary.

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

I like Gordon. He's an underrated even by fans of the team. He could have easily become a bust after his disappointing rookie season. But every year, he's gotten better and better including his TDs scored, vision, and ball security. Unfortunately, he won't get a large contract for a variety of different reasons. His durability is definitely a big factor, but he also plays a fungible position that is less important than QB, pass rusher, or OL. And given what happened to Gurley and David Johnson, I don't see teams making the same mistake again. With that being said, I think after 2015, TT learned the importance of not trading up again.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                        I like Gordon. He's an underrated even by fans of the team. He could have easily become a bust after his disappointing rookie season. But every year, he's gotten better and better including his TDs scored, vision, and ball security. Unfortunately, he won't get a large contract for a variety of different reasons. His durability is definitely a big factor, but he also plays a fungible position that is less important than QB, pass rusher, or OL. And given what happened to Gurley and David Johnson, I don't see teams making the same mistake again. With that being said, I think after 2015, TT learned the importance of not trading up again.
                        I think TT ALSO learned not to hand out big fat contracts and/or extensions to players who are not as valuable as they think...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Trade to Seahawks for Chris Carson or Penny.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍