• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

I doubt the Chargers make the playoffs this season without Gordon. Sometimes I wonder if the Spanos' aren't the tightest owners in the league. Want a championship team? Pay for it.

As a matter of principal? Don't want to set a precedent? As long as they're making money, they can afford to play hardball and trash this season's hopes.

Gordon can't be replaced on offense by using number 2 running backs or bringing in a retread. Simple as that. Rivers window is closing fast too. They don't care.

If the two sides don't come to terms, they'll draft a RB next year with the 20th or so pick. The best RB's will be gone by then and they won't compare to Gordon.
    Last edited by Caslon; 07-11-2019, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Duke Johnson is demanding a new contract or a trade from the Browns as well - unhappy RBs!

Comment

• Xenos
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
        Trade to Seahawks for Chris Carson or Penny.
        I don't see that happening unless we give up a pick as well. Carson and Penny are also on cheap rookie deals.

Comment

• Lyth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2018
          • Send PM

I get it. They don't agree on value. Happens lots. Will always happen.

The problem I have is the timing. This is coming out 30 days from TC? Complete failure by the team. No time to replace him. Can't draft. Good FA's are taken. Average FA's are taken.

We're not as good of a team without Gordon. He knows it and is probably asking for more than he would have last year at this time. The Chargers know this, and are making a SB push. It's a tough spot. It may be bad for the future but I don't see how we let him walk right now. Would any of you risk a legit shot at a SB to save the money for later? We just need to make sure the contract isn't completely front loaded so we can move on (after we have a replacement in the house) after a year or two.

Why wasn't this worked out in Feb/Mar? Perceptions of value weren't going to change. Waiting this long is where TT dropped the ball.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Not at all. That is a big problem today, too many people trying to be their kids friends and not their parents. That is not to say I don't joke around with them or have fun we do. We go on vacations and have fun but there needs to be respect as a parent. I do not let them disrespect their mother either. There is a line and they do not cross it.
            Cool. I was joking about earlier posts.

I actually agree with the tenor of what you are saying !!
            You don't know ball

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

If we can't get a good deal for him let him sit.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                I doubt the Chargers make the playoffs this season without Gordon. Sometimes I wonder if the Spanos' aren't the tightest owners in the league. Want a championship team? Pay for it.

As a matter of principal? Don't want to set a precedent? As long as they're making money, they can afford to play hardball and trash this season's hopes.

Gordon can't be replaced on offense by using number 2 running backs or bringing in a retread. Simple as that. Rivers window is closing fast too. They don't care.

If the two sides don't come to terms, they'll draft a RB next year with the 20th or so pick. The best RB's will be gone by then and they won't compare to Gordon.
                Terrell Davis, Thurman Thomas and David Johnson would beg to differ on this...(all drafted after round 1)...

Comment

• JupiterBolt
                  ~ Charger Fan ~
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Jupiter, FL
                  • Send PM

WWBBD (What Would Bill Belichick Do)?

Comment

• Caslon
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Terrell Davis, Thurman Thomas and David Johnson would beg to differ on this...(all drafted after round 1)...
                    Most non-rebuilding teams who suddenly have a void to fill as their cowbell RB (should MG be gone) do not wait until the 2nd round for a cowbell RB and hope they landed a winner.

I hope this situation gets resolved. Running back by committee absolutely stinks.

My only knock against Gordon (in his self-evaluation) is that it was only last season he came on as to what we expected of him. He really doesn't have the numbers prior to then. He shouldn't be acting like he did, if he's thinking that.

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

While this is not great news....it does show that when the news does start happening....we will be active. Really looking forward to seeing this place run during camp. This will be a fun year for us as a bolt family.

Cant wait.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Sorry. Must have missed it scrolling through. Right on.

Just tired of seeing these players not following through with their original agreement. If Gordon feels disrespected by the current offer, follow through with your original agreement, do your job and move on after that to an organization that agrees with your self valuation.
                        Gordon & other rookie draft picks have little very choice but to sign their rookie contract: there's very little room for negotiation; & if their performance is not up to certain standards, teams have no problem exercising the out clause & get rid of them. I remember how half the posters crapped in their pants when Bosa initially didn't sign.

If Gordon was guaranteed to go through the season uninjured, i imagine he would play & this wouldn't be an issue. Financially, it's probably wiser for him to sit out the year, & then negotiate a new 4 year contract with someone else.

Comment

• Caslon
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Send PM

Heh, security. MG's not going to the poorhouse should he suffer something catastrophic this year. Play out the year, do well...then shoot for the moon. Honor your commitment first. Have faith that doing so will pay off well. In other words, MG suddenly takes a step back due to injury or poor performance on the last year of a contract. Does that warrant that you should have 4 more years locked in beforehand ???

Increasingly, players are demanding a long term contract before entering the final year of their rookie contract. Respect? Commitment? "Don't disrespect me" !

"Pride goeth before a fall." (Shakespeare).
                          Last edited by Caslon; 07-11-2019, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍