• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

True for any team. We can have a strong running game w/o MG. Gotta believe that as there simply isn't the money to pay him $$$.

Comment

• bartman83642
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
      also, didnt the great peyton manning have really bad PO stats as well? heck the year he won the SB in denver he could barely toss the rock 15 yards on that noodle arm and even then it looked like a baby giraffe trying to fly.
      Yeah, Mannings playoff numbers dropped as well. It is not uncommon for something like that to happen though as in the playoffs you are normally matching up against the better teams.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
        He's had enough PO games to set a representative average. Rivers hasn't played close to a HOF'er overall in the post season, lets just be honest about it. Team has generally played a lot worse than him, creating a lot of pressure on him to carry an entire team on his back. I don't blame him for never getting to the SB his entire career ... but he hasn't got there. Last year was one of his better playoff years, i would agree (if you asked) - except the first half of the NE game which was horrific for the entire team A-Z.
        How many QBs put up as good numbers in the playoffs going against the best teams as they do in the regular season when they play good, average and bad teams? Even Tom Brady, the GOT, has a worse QB rating and throws more interceptions in the playoffs than the regular season.

I agree that Rivers tries to carry the team and can at times force passes. In his defense, there have been a lot of times that the team just would not win if he didn't carry them which has led to too many high risk passes. I am glad that he is playing smarter recently and with the team being better around him he can play more within himself.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Rivers has proven he can't win without a supporting cast. Going 1 on 22 just doesn't win too many games.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

This is a very good read by an agent who has represented players who have held out while under contract, including Keenan McCardell when he was traded to the Chargers in 2004 after his holdout in Tampa. I don't think he gives Gordon much chance to succeed. He gives Ezekiel Elliott how much better chance, should Elliot decide to hold out this summer. For one, Elliot is more important to Dallas than Gordon is to the Chargers.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
              This is a very good read by an agent who has represented players who have held out while under contract, including Keenan McCardell when he was traded to the Chargers in 2004 after his holdout in Tampa. I don't think he gives Gordon much chance to succeed. He gives Ezekiel Elliott how much better chance, should Elliot decide to hold out this summer. For one, Elliot is more important to Dallas than Gordon is to the Chargers.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...www.google.com
              Interesting read. This part caught my attention:

"Gordon would be facing a loss of almost $1.325 million in salary if he missed all of the Chargers' preseason contests."

And that's just the pre-season. Ouch...

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...www.google.com
                Great read. Agree that Gordon will not likely succeed.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Send PM

Another really good, informed, piece about the Gordon hold out threat. Bottom line: Gordon has no leverage, the team has it all, Gordon will play this season on his current contract because he can't afford not to. Also, the only way for Gordon to get a Gurley - level contract is to play in 2019 and have his best season yet.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/...www.google.com

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

How important is a top RB to the ultimate goal of winning a Super Bowl? The Patriots have won three of the last 5 Lombardis with a committee of RBs. L. Blount had a good season in 2016, but was not elite. The Eagles used a committee as well, and the Broncos had CJ Anderson and Ronnie Hillman. The last SB winner with an elite RB was the Seahawks with Lynch. The last RB to lead the league in rushing and win the SB was Terrell Davis in 1998.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

How important is a top RB to the ultimate goal of winning a Super Bowl? The Patriots have won three of the last 5 Lombardis with a committee of RBs. L. Blount had a good season in 2016, but was not elite. The Eagles used a committee as well, and the Broncos had CJ Anderson and Ronnie Hillman. The last SB winner with an elite RB was the Seahawks with Lynch. The last RB to lead the league in rushing and win the SB was Terrell Davis in 1998.
                      Great points, Sarge. Another classic "committee" RB is James White of the Cheatriots. Career stats in rushing are not all that impressive--in 5 seasons, he's never broken even 500 yds. He is a very good receiver out of the backfield, with over 700 yds. last year. Three Super Bowls, seems to shine when the pressure is on, but not a bell cow back by any stretch of the imagination. But in the Pats system, he fits fine.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Irmo, SC
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                        Melvin may have company.

The Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott is one of the best running backs in the league and it's certainly reasonable that he wants to be compensated as such. As it stands, the No. 4 pick in the 2016 NFL Draft will earn $3.85 million in base salary this season, and his $6.2 million average annual salary ranks 10th behind Jerick McKinnon, Leonard Fournette and Lamar Miller.

With training camp set to begin later this month, Elliott plans to hold out until he gets a new deal, reports Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio.

Yahoo.com's Charles Robinson writes that while Elliott hasn't made a decision on whether to skip Cowboys camp ... "yet," the running back "definitely wants an extension in the works." There's more: "If Cowboys aren't proactive about a deal, I think this could go sideways fast. It hasn't yet. This will be an important week."
                        In my opinion, this REALLY hurts Gordon. No way is he better than Zeek. I might pay Zeek.$13+M. He does some boneheaded stuff, but teams have to game plan around that guy. Tell Dallas we will swap them & throw in a 4th rounder.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

In my opinion, this REALLY hurts Gordon. No way is he better than Zeek. I might pay Zeek.$13+M. He does some boneheaded stuff, but teams have to game plan around that guy. Tell Dallas we will swap them & throw in a 4th rounder.
                          We can't afford Zeek. Need to save up to re-sign Boss and Rivers. Bolts don't have a ton of cap space.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍