• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I have done further research and agree that the Standard contract has a provision for tolling. But it doesn't say when he would need to report.
    And everyone points to the Joey Galloway "precedent."

I see litigation...billable hours...a sticky mess.
    You don't know ball

Comment

• maurile
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post
      Are you saying in the current CBA if someone is drafted 14th, then an owner can sign them to a 100 million dollar 10 year deal ?
      What in the world would lead you ask that???

Comment

• maurile
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I directly quoted the CBA in an earlier post where it says rookies achieve FA in 4 years.
        No, that's not what the CBA says at all. Many rookies achieve free agency in 0, 1, 2, or 3 years. Others never achieve free agency during their entire 20-year career.

Comment

• maurile
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I have done further research and agree that the Standard contract has a provision for tolling. But it doesn't say when he would need to report.
          Right. The language isn't entirely clear. I think the most natural reading, by far, is that he has to report by Week 9 because the standard contract says that tolling will be rounded to the nearest full season. If he misses more than half a season, that suggests that his contract will toll for an entire season. If he plays for at least half a season, his contract won't be tolled. (This last point is confirmed by the Joey Galloway case.)

There's another plausible reading that suggests that if he plays at all, his contract will not be tolled for that season. In that case, he'd have to report by Week 13 (the cut-off for being reinstated).

So as I've said a bunch of times, there's a good argument for Week 9 being the deadline and a decent argument for Week 13. There is no good argument for Week 10 (the most commonly cited deadline) and no good argument for not reporting at all.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by maurile View Post

Right. The language isn't entirely clear. I think the most natural reading, by far, is that he has to report by Week 9 because the standard contract says that tolling will be rounded to the nearest full season. If he misses more than half a season, that suggests that his contract will toll for an entire season. If he plays for at least half a season, his contract won't be tolled. (This last point is confirmed by the Joey Galloway case.)

There's another plausible reading that suggests that if he plays at all, his contract will not be tolled for that season. In that case, he'd have to report by Week 13 (the cut-off for being reinstated).

So as I've said a bunch of times, there's a good argument for Week 9 being the deadline and a decent argument for Week 13. There is no good argument for Week 10 (the most commonly cited deadline) and no good argument for not reporting at all.
            If the tolling is rounded up to the nearest full season, that is key language. So in rounding up, starting with week 9, this begins the second half of the season. In math, normal rounding up procedure is 5-9 rounds up to 10. 5 is the halfway point.

Comment

• JOJAX85
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2018
              • Irmo, SC
              • Send PM

At this point he's just losing $. Millions of it & gaining nothing. Tell your agent to.ask for a no franchise tag clause added to the current deal & bet on yourself for next year.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post
                At this point he's just losing $. Millions of it & gaining nothing. Tell your agent to.ask for a no franchise tag clause added to the current deal & bet on yourself for next year.
                The only problem with that is that Gordon has really lost any leverage he might have had earlier...TT already said they're done negotiating for this season...the only thing I see happening is the Bolts might consider a legitimate trade offer, if the compensation is enough...

Comment

• JOJAX85
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Irmo, SC
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

The only problem with that is that Gordon has really lost any leverage he might have had earlier...TT already said they're done negotiating for this season...the only thing I see happening is the Bolts might consider a legitimate trade offer, if the compensation is enough...
                  That's the crazy part, he never had any leverage. None. Right now he's just giving his millions to a billionaire & getting jack squat.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

What I was discussing with Mike was the slotting of contracts for ROOKIES in the current CBA. In 2011 all Rookie contracts must conform to the CBA guidelines.

Are you saying in the current CBA if someone is drafted 14th, then an owner can sign them to a 100 million dollar 10 year deal ? That simply isn't true. The CBA talks about slotting as well. By that I mean the 14th player picked makes slightly more than the 15 player picked, etc. But the years and duration are exactly the same. Bonus payments can differ slightly as well. But the contracts are essentially identical.

This structure was adopted in the 2011 CBA to avoid rookie holdouts as owners were tired of them. I directly quoted the CBA in an earlier post where it says rookies achieve FA in 4 years.

If all contracts for ROOKIES are similar then there is nothing to hold out over, although Bosa somehow got around this.

Brady is not relevant to this discussion as he is not on a ROOKIE contract according to the 2011 CBA and at this point he is on his 3rd or 4th contract. So you are correct about Brady. He is under a non ROOKIE contract to whatever the Patriots signed him to so he has to conform to that.

Make sense ?
                    Bosa held out over when the bonus was paid out and offset language.

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I generally try to stay away from making large money bets with total strangers on the internet.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not here to prove myself right or anybody else wrong.

I just enjoy talking Chargers football with my new Charger friends !!! :beer:
                      A charitable donation to the heart and stroke foundation for 100? It is nesr and dear to my heart....no pun intended.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

That was what Joey Galloways case was about. Hence why that ruling is seen as the precedent for the NFL.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

That was what Joey Galloways case was about. Hence why that ruling is seen as the precedent for the NFL.
                          Different CBA. Also just pertained to Galloway's facts. He reported at week 8 and they said that was good enough. It didn't say he had to report by week 8 for it to count

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍