Comment

• Lone Bolt
      Brock Bowers N.M.W.
      • Feb 2019
      • McLean Illinois
      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
      After giving this some thought and looking into the fifth year option, my point of view has evolved somewhat. I do still believe that Gordon over inflates his value as a player. However I have come to view the fifth year option as inherently unfair to the player, particularly running backs, whose careers are so short. The 5th year option allows ownership to tie up a player through his prime years, in the case of running backs, diminishing their ability to land a second contract. First round picks such as Gordon who fulfill or exceed expectations and become premium players are punished because teams get to keep them for an extra year at a relatively low salary. Gordon's holdout is really not a failure to fulfill his contract. He has no control over the team's decision to exercise the fifth year option. It's actually a catch-22 for a player like Gordon. By not reporting to camp, the team doesn't have the ability to pursue breach of contract against Gordon. That is a part of the CBA. They can can fine him, but failing to report to camp it's not legally breach of contract. I hope the players union is able to get the 5th year option written out of the next CBA. With ownership being able to use the franchise tag as well, it's just not fair to the players.
      I do not hold ill will against Gordon. However I do believe the best thing for him is to really learn what his value is and continue to negotiate with the team for a second contract that gives him some security and doesn't put the team in cap jeopardy. I am confident there is a middle ground that can bring Gordon back into the fold. The two sides just have to continue working together to find it.
      I don't like the idea of getting rid of the 5th year option...but I would be amenable to that option having a value approaching franchise tag money...that would be fair, I think.

Edit: Not actual francise tag money...maybe something based around average of top 15 at position.
      Last edited by Lone Bolt; 07-29-2019, 07:18 PM.
      The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• Boltgang74
        We Are The Storm!
        • Aug 2018
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Go ahead, enlighten us
        Naw

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I don't like the idea of getting rid of the 5th year option...but I would be amenable to that option having a value approaching franchise tag money...that would be fair, I think.

Edit: Not actual francise tag money...maybe something based around average of top 15 at position.
          How about making teams choose between the fifth year option and a franchise tag? If they exercise the option they can't franchise two player after the contract has been fulfilled.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            Brock Bowers N.M.W.
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Pipefitter Illinois State University
            • Send PM

One thing that bothers me about this whole thing is how ugly some fans have already gotten...this holdout isn't nasty yet...no reason to hate on Melvin...he isn't doing anything dozens of other players haven't already done. Let's just see how it shakes out. If he remains out of our financial plans, and I trust our front office on this, then so be it. Sit him, trade him...but then we are done. But until that happens, I'm still a fan. Though I'm not nearly as worried about this, as I am about our left tackle position. Can only hope that our lack of urgency on that front is due to confidence in Okung health, rather than a lack of options.
            The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Send PM

One thing that bothers me about this whole thing is how ugly some fans have already gotten...this holdout isn't nasty yet...no reason to hate on Melvin...he isn't doing anything dozens of other players haven't already done. Let's just see how it shakes out. If he remains out of our financial plans, and I trust our front office on this, then so be it. Sit him, trade him...but then we are done. But until that happens, I'm still a fan. Though I'm not nearly as worried about this, as I am about our left tackle position. Can only hope that our lack of urgency on that front is due to confidence in Okung health, rather than a lack of options.
              I am in total agreement. It's like you got inside my brain and appropriated my thoughts on both situations.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Good point, Lone. I guess I and others are frustrated with this holdout, but I'm going to try to be more positive from now on.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Just because MG's actions aren't uncommon doesn't mean fans should be okay with it.
                  I think MOST people here have generally expressed their understanding for MG wanting to leverage what he can for his own self interest
                  at the same time, he is under contract and fans have good reason to expect him at camp and be disappointed that he's not and express it (haven't seen anything I would consider "hate")
                  Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

We would be far better served to not allow hate or emotion get the better of us.

Deal with the truth and move on.

Gordon is likely the last RB to get screwed by the 5th year option, before the new CBA comes in. Of course he has valid points.

Consider the realities of the NFL, unique from any other sport. He'll show up for game 10.

Ponder this fact. Gordon was just ranked by his fellow players as the 34th best player. See the power and acceleration. There is no reason for us to bag on him.
                    Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.
                    Ben Herbert

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post

How about making teams choose between the fifth year option and a franchise tag? If they exercise the option they can't franchise two player after the contract has been fulfilled.
                      The players agreed to the 5th year option in the last CBA. Haven't heard any talk about this piece being particularly onerous. If it went away, you'd just see players doing it in their 4th year instead.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

I have no bad feelings towards Gordon or the Bolts. When it's resolved, it's resolved. And we move forward without him in the meantime.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                          I have no bad feelings towards Gordon or the Bolts. When it's resolved, it's resolved. And we move forward without him in the meantime.

In the meantime seems like we need to sign Jay Ajai or Carlos Hyde I like Eckler and Jackson, I just don't know it they are built to carry the load week to week, but if they split the load maybe they can

Comment

Working...
                          X