• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

MG is a total baller and great team guy who has had to run behind a crap OL and questionable schemes his entire career. Dude gives 110% every play. I'll grant some hesitation hitting the line in year 1 but that was long ago and not his MO at all. He'll hit a hole, if by prayer and grace there actually is one. He was at or near the top of the league in yards after contact. Since drafted he's probably been hit behind LOS more times than he actually had a hole to run into. I think most of his criticism is unfair and unfounded personally.

that said, its really hard to pay any RB the top RB $$$. We've seen a top RB with bad OL - no great RB can overcome a bad OL and a serviceable RB can thrive with a great OL. The place to invest is OL and I don't see what TT sees - that still looks like the weak link on the team and where they have to invest next year. Hope they surprise me. We'll see how much he's worth - if a few teams will pay top$, he'll be gone.

Our backups are not MG. I hope nobody is kidding themselves that any of them are. Ekeler got just pounded into snot the time MG was down and they tried to tie a bell on him. Neither has the power of MG. Newsome lacks the speed and receiving skills. Chargers would need a new feature back imo, so if not signing MG, they have to expend more than a 7th round flier in the draft.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Hard to argue all this, yep yep yep.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
        MG is a total baller and great team guy who has had to run behind a crap OL and questionable schemes his entire career. Dude gives 110% every play. I'll grant some hesitation hitting the line in year 1 but that was long ago and not his MO at all. He'll hit a hole, if by prayer and grace there actually is one. He was at or near the top of the league in yards after contact. Since drafted he's probably been hit behind LOS more times than he actually had a hole to run into. I think most of his criticism is unfair and unfounded personally.

that said, its really hard to pay any RB the top RB $$$. We've seen a top RB with bad OL - no great RB can overcome a bad OL and a serviceable RB can thrive with a great OL. The place to invest is OL and I don't see what TT sees - that still looks like the weak link on the team and where they have to invest next year. Hope they surprise me. We'll see how much he's worth - if a few teams will pay top$, he'll be gone.

Our backups are not MG. I hope nobody is kidding themselves that any of them are. Ekeler got just pounded into snot the time MG was down and they tried to tie a bell on him. Neither has the power of MG. Newsome lacks the speed and receiving skills. Chargers would need a new feature back imo, so if not signing MG, they have to expend more than a 7th round flier in the draft.
        The backups were not near the players MG was, but lets remember that MG rookie year is not the player MG is this season. He got a lot better. The other RB will get better, it just depends on if it will be good enough.

Let's also not kid ourselves it will depend on MG too. If he wants elite RB money, it is probably best to let him walk. 3 RB are in the top salary bracket.

1). Todd Gurley is ave $14.375 mil per yr
        2). Le'Veon Bell is ave $13.125 mil per yr
        3). David Johnson is ave $13.0 mil per yr
        4). Devonta Freeman is ave $8.25 mil per yr

Ask the Rams and Cardinals what it is like spending so much money on a RB. MGIII is a great player, but there is a point at which it is not a good idea to overspend for top talent. Time will tell how the other RB fit in together, and that will help make it clear how much we should pay him, and then if someone else wants to throw silly money at him, let it happen.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The backups were not near the players MG was, but lets remember that MG rookie year is not the player MG is this season. He got a lot better. The other RB will get better, it just depends on if it will be good enough.

Let's also not kid ourselves it will depend on MG too. If he wants elite RB money, it is probably best to let him walk. 3 RB are in the top salary bracket.

Ask the Rams and Cardinals what it is like spending so much money on a RB. MGIII is a great player, but there is a point at which it is not a good idea to overspend for top talent. Time will tell how the other RB fit in together, and that will help make it clear how much we should pay him, and then if someone else wants to throw silly money at him, let it happen.
          I do not like any of those contracts at all...me n Adam Gase.

I like the Bears contract w/David Montgomery...there's our model.

We will devote available capital to sustain our personnel excellence on defense, ala CHI Bears.
          You don't know ball

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

According to Sports Injury Predictor, MG3 has a 52.8% injury risk for 2019:

"Gordon played 16 games for the 1st time in 2017, yet he dealt with lower-body issues again. First came a bone bruise to his left knee that rendered him questionable in weeks 3 and 4. That's the same knee in which he tore his meniscus as a 2015 rookie and sprained the PCL late in 2016. Both injuries ended those seasons prematurely, and Gordon required surgery after the meniscus tear. He also landed on weekly injury reports with minor shoulder, foot and ankle issues but played through each ailment. Gordon saw a slight decrease in work last year, from 22.7 touches per game to 21.4. The dip came on the rushing side, though his 17.8 carries per outing still ranked 6th league wide."

Here's his complete injury history:
            Nov 25, 2018 NFL Knee MCL Sprain Grade 2 Gordon sprained his right MCL in Week 12 and missed the following 3 games.
            Oct 14, 2018 NFL Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Gordon missed Week 7 with an unspecified hamstring injury. He returned after the Week 8 bye.
            Dec 11, 2016 NFL Inguinal Hip Sprain Gordon went down early in Week 14 and missed the final 3 games.
            Dec 11, 2016 NFL Knee PCL Sprain Grade 2 Gordon went down early in Week 14 and missed the final 3 games.
            Dec 20, 2015 NFL Knee Tear Gordon tore cartilage in his knee in Week 15 and was placed on IR.
            Aug 13, 2015 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Gordon sat out Week 2 of the preseason but was fine to handle 17 touches in his regular season debut.
            No, Gordon doesn't quite rise to the level of someone like Verrett, but his injuries are still a concern. Don't want to sink elite money into a back who seems to be getting banged up a bit more than you'd like to see. As I said, make MG3 a fair offer, but if he thinks he can get a better deal somewhere else, let him walk.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/pl...in-gordon/7209
            Last edited by Topcat; 06-02-2019, 06:09 AM.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

#3 is laughable, i didn't know that - they really paid Johnson $13m/yr? I agree, team can't afford >$13M for a RB unless he is truly one in a generation. MG is our best back but he's not that. I'd go into the 5-7M maybe ... maybe. Maybe not even that high.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

RB are the most likely players to have an injury of any players on a team. They take the most abuse, and there is very little most of them can do to avoid taking it. In fact, it really doesn't even matter that MG has an injury history. Even if he didn't, with RB it is just a matter of time. I would love to have MG back next year. But I don't think we should overpay to do it.

Rivers, MG, Pouncey, Trevor Williams, Michael Davis, Rochelle, Ekeler, Jatavis Brown, Hunter Henry, Schofield, Benjamin, Culkin, Phillips, Derek Watt, ... the list goes on for the FA. Some will be cheaper, some we will not want to bring back because of their play, but some will go because they will get better offers, and we wanted to keep them.

FWIW, the list above is why the Chargers are not being that aggressive to overpay for someone like McCoy. I don't mind him being brought in, but the contract has to be smart. Whether we decide to spend the extra cap space we have now, for an extension that gets the player more money early, or is carried over to next seasons cap, we have a lot of players who are going to need paying.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

The problem with those numbers is that it makes it too expensive to franchise tag MG too.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

RB are the most likely players to have an injury of any players on a team. They take the most abuse, and there is very little most of them can do to avoid taking it. In fact, it really doesn't even matter that MG has an injury history. Even if he didn't, with RB it is just a matter of time. I would love to have MG back next year. But I don't think we should overpay to do it.

Rivers, MG, Pouncey, Trevor Williams, Michael Davis, Rochelle, Ekeler, Jatavis Brown, Hunter Henry, Schofield, Benjamin, Culkin, Phillips, Derek Watt, ... the list goes on for the FA. Some will be cheaper, some we will not want to bring back because of their play, but some will go because they will get better offers, and we wanted to keep them.

FWIW, the list above is why the Chargers are not being that aggressive to overpay for someone like McCoy. I don't mind him being brought in, but the contract has to be smart. Whether we decide to spend the extra cap space we have now, for an extension that gets the player more money early, or is carried over to next seasons cap, we have a lot of players who are going to need paying.
                    The players in bold are who i would let walk after this season. Phillips if he is cheap enough id keep but keep thinking his eventual replacemant was drafted this year. I didnt bold Gordon but clearly if he wants big money, he is gone. Watt had only like 130+ snaps last season with many on STs so dont see why we bring him back unless its on a cheap deal. And i can see a cheap deal given what he does for us.
                    Ekeler will be a RFA as well as Culkin who will get the lowest tender.

Comment

• SYB
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I do not like any of those contracts at all...me n Adam Gase.

I like the Bears contract w/David Montgomery...there's our model.

We will devote available capital to sustain our personnel excellence on defense, ala CHI Bears.

:ygdr:

Comment

• SYB
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

#3 is laughable, i didn't know that - they really paid Johnson $13m/yr? I agree, team can't afford >$13M for a RB unless he is truly one in a generation. MG is our best back but he's not that. I'd go into the 5-7M maybe ... maybe. Maybe not even that high.
                        To be fair, DJ led the league in total scrimmage yards, rec's for a RB and TD's in just his second year. Then Arians bounced and that team went to complete shit. I feel like they overpaid him to try to hold onto one of the only good young players they have and knowing that they were gonna draft a QB high, and therefor would have some extra cap space for a few years before the rookie QB contract was up and they had to pay up. I do think he sees a bounce back year in this new system though.

And if you're only willing to spend $5-7 mil on a RB in today's market, you're likely gonna have a crappy RB or guy on his rookie contract..

Comment

• therber219
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2017
                          • Iowa
                          • Send PM

Did I see somewhere that Gordon had a 5.1 ypc average last year? With a less than stellar O line, that's impressive no matter how you spin it. In a couple years, with a new qb taking over, it will be nice to have that type of back to help..... It might be seen as overpaying, but keeping some type of consistency would be good...... Just an opinion.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍