• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
    Gordon is the best RB the Chargers have, but $5+M is reasonably fair. I don't give him 11+M ever. Not that i don't like him, i just cant afford it in my cap. Sorry - thanks for the good times.

That said - I don't accept critics who say he didn't perform well early years. he ran behind one of the worst rush blocking OLs in the league. Gale fricken Sayers would have struggled behind that line. More than half the plays he was hit by 2+ defenders behind the LOS, fighting to get back to the LOS. Dude was balling alone out there as far as i'm concerned. We know this as whenever they stuck someone else in there, that RB did worse. Much worse.

That said - MG also knows a RB's life span is short - he needs to get what he can. I think he should take his 5.6, vs sit a year as its probably a wash to recoup it ever anyway. play out his rookie contract and then get paid somewhere. but loyalty in business is for suckers. Its a biz on both sides, and fans that hope otherwise will just always be perplexed, sad, mad, ...
    Yes and no. He was hesitant and not decisive with his reads, this contributed to getting hit behind the LOS. The backups produced much more efficiently. He also coughed up the ball a lot his rookie year.
    Last edited by Panamamike; 07-14-2019, 06:53 AM.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Exactly. Bell did have suspension issues, but he absolutely performed at the highest levels for a sustained period of time. He didn't have 1 top 10 season and get delusions of grandeur about what he has accomplished and what he feels it makes his worth.

His stunt also cost him big time $.
      Yep. Bell reportedly turned down a $70 million offer by the Steelers, which would have made him the top paid RB in the NFL by far. BY FAR. The deal would have paid Bell $14 mil a season. Bell was reportedly seeking around $17 mil a season:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...-the-steelers/
      Last edited by Topcat; 07-14-2019, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
        BELL is infinitely more accomplished than MGIII. Bell sat out because he said he wanted his worth, which he figured was #1 RB and #2 WR combined. He said he would be the first 20MM RB. He also was convinced by his agent he would recoup his lost earnings on the open market. Instead, reality arrived and it cost him 800k a week, missed 14MM, and he signed for less than PITT offered him. He now gets the pleasure of play8 g for the JETS...LOL. Sounds like a great strategy to follow MGIII, ya knucklehead.
        LOL...and so true. Okay, folks, let's follow the Bell/Jets model and ship Gordon off to a loser...but let's get some picks out of this...some nice, HIGH picks from a big-time losing team...
        Last edited by Topcat; 07-14-2019, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
          SLAM DUNK!
          • Jun 2013
          • East County San Diego
          • Bolt fanatic
          • Send PM

Bell? I haven't heard Melvin or his agent say he wants to be the highest paid RB in the league. He wants to be paid like one of the top backs in the league. He has been underpaid. I do think he is one of the top backs in the league and is in line for about 2-3 more beast like years. We can't afford to lose him and the production over those years.

I do not understand salary cap nerd talk. Who cares about the cap when all you have to do is cut a player and you have dead money for one year. Bolts need to pay Melvin and win now. It's over reaction to believe he is demanding to be the highest paid RB in the league but that's the tone from some posts.
          migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

The Bell and Gordon situations are not the same. Gordon is under contract. Bell was not. Gordon has to report no later than week 10 or everything resets and in 2020 he is right back where he was in 2019. That did not apply to Bell because he played out his contract and was under the franchise tag in 2018. Sitting out 2019 completely is not a desirable option for Gordon. It does not release him from his contract with the Chargers. He does not become a free agent.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
              Bell? I haven't heard Melvin or his agent say he wants to be the highest paid RB in the league. He wants to be paid like one of the top backs in the league. He has been underpaid. I do think he is one of the top backs in the league and is in line for about 2-3 more beast like years. We can't afford to lose him and the production over those years.

I do not understand salary cap nerd talk. Who cares about the cap when all you have to do is cut a player and you have dead money for one year. Bolts need to pay Melvin and win now. It's over reaction to believe he is demanding to be the highest paid RB in the league but that's the tone from some posts.
              When you say, that Gordon "has been underpaid," it paints a picture of penny-pinching management which pressured a talented player to sign a skimpy contract. Far from it. According to Spotrac, "Melvin Gordon signed a 4 year, $10,669,773 contract with the San Diego Chargers, including a $6,019,835 signing bonus, $10,669,773 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $2,667,443. In 2019, Gordon will earn a base salary of $5,605,000" (in 2019 if he plays and doesn't sit out).

Gordon signed the standard salary for his draft slot at #15 overall back in 2015. Let's not forget that he did get a $6 million signing bonus, a pretty decent chunk of change even before his cleats hit the field. Now, if you look at his base salary of $1.8 mil last year, is this underpaid for a top RB? I suppose so, but remember, HE IS STILL ON HIS ROOKIE CONTRACT. This is standard procedure, folks, not rocket science. Everyone knows you finish your rook deal, then if you perform well, you get a nice payday deal on your second and maybe third contracts. Gordon is acting as if he already finished his rookie contract. Sorry, no sympathy for him at all....

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-ange...-gordon-16739/

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post

If MG gets his desired salary (top end), it would make him the highest paid RB in football. That might be OK, except that he is no where near the best RB in football. You can make a very strong argument that we have a bunch of players on our team that have longer shelf lives who are much closer to being the best players at their positions. And we have a lot of them.

Besides, we shouldn't overspend on a RB no matter who it is. The RB is a beneficiary of so many other players. It will be interesting to see how well Bell does with the Jets, because they don't have the support system that Pitt had. And Pitt replaced Bell quite easily with Conner and Samuels last year. As did we when we went 4-0 without MG.

The salary cap is pretty fucking important. Unlike all the other pro sports, football has a real salary cap, and screwing up a couple of contracts will screw up a team for years. See Raiders. Every team that plays short term games to get around the salary cap always has a slash and burn period where they have to get rid of top players to get their cap under control. The Raiders had several years of it, because Al Davis had so many bad contracts, they couldn't let them all go in the same season. Dallas had to dump Demarcus Ware when they still desperately needed him.

Then other thing to note, while Melvin is productive, he is not THAT productive. He is a product of being our featured back. We give him the ball and he is consistent enough to have about average production. He really doesn't do anything that well. You may notice, when our RB got playing time, they all had some chunk plays. They all were productive in the passing game. Melvin is slightly above average in terms of production, but not grossly so. His TD production is just slightly above average for someone who gets as many chances as he does, and that is what it is really all about.

The most productive RB in terms of exceeding expected production is Ekeler, who is one of the most productive RB in football. While I don't think he is really ever going to be a featured RB, I do think we need to start getting him the ball more, and that figures into MG's contract too. You don't overpay a guy at the same time his production starts to drop off. If Ekeler (and JJ and DN) are going to cut into MG's snaps, he shouldn't get more money. It is a wasted investment.

Lastly, at his age, and the point of decline of RB, this was the last year we can totally count on him as the featured RB anyway. We need to either have one of our other RB start gettting groomed to be the workhorse, or look for another in the draft next year. Teams that rely on one RB mostly tend to be left holding the bag when that player misses time, like with injuries, which MG has had a lot of.

image.png
                Last edited by Steve; 07-14-2019, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep. Bell reportedly turned down a $70 million offer by the Steelers, which would have made him the top paid RB in the NFL by far. BY FAR. The deal would have paid Bell $14 mil a season. Bell was reportedly seeking around $17 mil a season:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...-the-steelers/
                  Bell turned that offer down because the guaranteed money was embarrassing. All you guys who love contracts, remember the team can get out of it whenever they want. All they are on the hook for is guaranteed $$
                  Last edited by jamrock; 07-14-2019, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• jubei
                    Vagabond Ninja
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

for those saying to give MG what he wants...dont forget there IS a cap. pay him what he wants and we lose next year's and the next's extensions. IMO he's not important enough to the team to mortgage the future. And yes there is still a window left as PR doesnt sound like he wants to stop playing after his current contract. This offense runs through PR, not thru MG. I like MG and IMO around $8M may be fair comp but I dont believe he is anywhere near a $10M RB, let alone DJ/Bell/Gurley money. these teams also dont have a lot of money tied up in their QB positions yet. You get primo RBs for QBs who are still relatively green and on their rook contracts.

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Bell turned that offer down because the guaranteed money was embarrassing. All you guys who love contracts, remember the team can get out of it whenever they want. All they are on the hook for is guaranteed $$
                      Again.,,BS. It was only "embarrassing" IF he were cut before next seasons first week of new league year. The guarantees at that point exceeds those of his NYJ contract. And the overall guarantee payment and gross earnings in first 3 seasons was much greater.

Comment

• alex8080
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

more plays for taylor and stick (if he's on the roster)

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

In reference to his contract standoff with the Chargers, Melvin Gordon said, "You can't just replace a great back."

To illustrate his point, Gordon pointed out how the Cowboys were a "completely different team" when Ezekiel Elliott was suspended in 2017. Gordon went on to call running back the next-most important position behind quarterback and feels he and other top ball-carriers "should get paid as such." The 2015 first-rounder has threatened to hold out into the regular season if his contract demands aren't met, though Gordon has also said he hopes to "end up with the Chargers." The two-time Pro Bowler could very well be bluffing, but if he's not, committee backs Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson would both be in line for much bigger workloads.

Comment

Working...
                          X