• Show
Clear All
  • BoltBacker
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • Send PM

Jason Verrett

Would like to see him come back on a one year prove it deal. He is a competitor if he can get his health together. With all the money he has made not playing I feel like he owes something to LAC.
  • BoltBacker
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • Send PM

He is only 27yrs old, time is on his side for a little bit longer.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

With as well as the Chargers have done developing DB lately (Trevor Williams, Michael Davis, ...) it seems like it would be a waste to spend a roster spot on a player who is not likely to stay healthy. Even if he does manage to do so, he has suffered several major injuries since he has last played. Both from the point of view that his body has been worn down more, or that he has just not played in forever, it seems like he might not be able to play at the same level.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

As opposed to Meyer with the OL, Ron Milus has done an excellent job developing DBs. So I can see them drafting a guy with height & speed to develop instead of bringing back Verrett.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            With as well as the Chargers have done developing DB lately (Trevor Williams, Michael Davis, ...) it seems like it would be a waste to spend a roster spot on a player who is not likely to stay healthy. Even if he does manage to do so, he has suffered several major injuries since he has last played. Both from the point of view that his body has been worn down more, or that he has just not played in forever, it seems like he might not be able to play at the same level.
            Agree. He has had some big injuries. Even if they get him for one year, 1 million he will get hurt again. He hasn't played in a game since Oct 4th 2016.
            Time to move on.

Comment

• Jagged
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Omaha, Nebraska
              • Send PM

Comment

• BoltBacker
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Las Vegas, NV
                • Send PM

At this point he will probably be on a prove it deal, with some incentives. I am guessing a 1yr $1M non-guaranteed type deal.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Like $25000 for making it thru TC, $250000 for making to the half season point and another $250000 for making thru the whole season After signing a $750,000 one year deal.

He should end up making $775,000.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Guys like Verrett dont always have to do a prove it deal. Because teams have so much cap space these days they can overpay. I think he will get paid. We will have to let the market dictate his price. I just think some team will burn cash on him and take the risk. Would i cut Addae and give Verrett his money? Probably not. I happen to think our DBs are fine with the exception of FS at this point. We have done a pretty solid job of developing young DBs. Hayward certainly had a down year.

Im of the mindset that if you can dominate in the trenches that wealth will get spread out across the skill positions. I dont think we were as deadly rushing the passer last year. Our interior DL also needs to get pressure. We need to collapse pockets from the inside and free up Bosa and Ingram. By the way Bosa would be a dominant 3T. So maybe we grab a pass rusher and slide him inside more.

With Qbs coming out of college being more mobile we are seeing so much RPO that teams are designing pass plays outside the pocket. So i like the fact we have so much speed on the edges in Nwosu and White. With James cleaning up as well.

I still think at the end of the day games are won in the trenches. What money we do have to spend should go there. And there is nothing wrong with drafting trenches and signing players. Its always an injury and our lack of depth at that position that kills us. DL and LB killed us against the Pats. 2 TE and a FB up against a bunch of DB's? Fuck that.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I like the idea of sliding Bosa inside, would he?

Why not? He played mostly 5T for us in our 34 didnt he? I cant remember. Essentially an inside position. He can do both equally well imo. I just think a rookie wont come in and dominate at 3T for us. So you can move Bosa around. Play him inside some. If we could get pressure with Bosa inside and Ingram/Nwosu outside that would really help us. But we need guys that dont get blown up by guards because it kills our smaller LBs. Look at how important Hightower is in New England. Massive MLB who is always consistent. We need stability in the middle of this defense. DL, MLB

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

I wouldn't give Verrett more than 1 mil so if a team wants to give him more, I'd let him go. Really don't want to spend anything on him because he is hurt so much.
                        Hey if he gets a good contract.....which I just cant see happening then maybe we can get a comp pick. But I doubt he gets offered a lot.
                        Who is the last guy that played in 25-30% of his games that got a good contract?

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍