• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post
    Wierd how he had some great years while old right before getting popped for peds. I'm sure it had nothing to do with it...
    Had a pretty darn good 12 games last year after the suspension too.

Comment

• Budsman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Had a pretty darn good 12 games last year after the suspension too.
      yup, he did the right thing and found the better stuff.

Linebackers don't get better at 36. He's a player/coach meh signing. Rather give a young hungry player the reps but hey he's cheap enough to get cut after training camp if need be and not worry about it.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

yup, he did the right thing and found the better stuff.

Linebackers don't get better at 36. He's a player/coach meh signing. Rather give a young hungry player the reps but hey he's cheap enough to get cut after training camp if need be and not worry about it.
        Don't need him to get better. He is a short term addition at a position of need. A guy that is still playing at a high level. And it is not like he was not a fantastic player his entire career. He has been....he just had some severe injuries. It still does nothing to prevent us from adding more to the LB core.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Thomas Davis still played at a very high level last season. Yes, he is starting to decline, but he has a ways to go before he is a liability.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Davis >>>>> Pullard/Emanuel. All that is needed.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

The only downside I can see, you probably aren't going to be able to use Davis on ST. Pullard and Emmanuel can play on ST.

I can live with that. A lot of our DB and other LB (White and Brown) can play a few downs here and there on ST. I think we will be fine. It would also set the stage for a rookie, espceially if they played OTTO, or even LEO, because it is also nice to have a fast, angular guy on kick coverage.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Yeah, I am fine losing those two on ST.

Bring on the new blood!

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  The only downside I can see, you probably aren't going to be able to use Davis on ST. Pullard and Emmanuel can play on ST.

I can live with that. A lot of our DB and other LB (White and Brown) can play a few downs here and there on ST. I think we will be fine. It would also set the stage for a rookie, espceially if they played OTTO, or even LEO, because it is also nice to have a fast, angular guy on kick coverage.
                  We're about to draft 7 new rooks, sign maybe 1-2 more FA's, and possibly sign 1-2 UDFA's. I'm sure most of them will play special teams. When talent (either from draft or FA) rises to the top, they push less talented players like Pullard and Emanuel off the team. I think Pullard probably gets cut. Emanuel is on the bubble.

Comment

• Budsman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

You are always taking a big risk relying on 37 year old to repeat anything they did the year before. Sure he played solid last year, but he was also in a scheme he knew like the back of his hand. He's old he's going to a new scheme and he's going to have to think more and instinctively know where to be less. He can't make up for mistakes with fast twitch anymore.

Sure hes an upgrade over pullard or emannuel but that's not saying much and he could very well stunt the growth of a good backup.

I mean I'm not getting out the pitchforks over the signing but I feel like there is way to much excitement over a ped using old guy to be a backup/mentor to our team.

On the bright side he can teach our players how to avoid getting caught using PEDs, that's gotta be worth a few million.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                      Davis >>>>> Pullard/Emanuel. All that is needed.
                      Yep. Davis has the speed of a safety, can tackle and can cover. Pullard and Emanuel lack speed, can tackle sometimes (especially if they have help), and are both huge liabilities in coverage. Not even close.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

You are always taking a big risk relying on 37 year old to repeat anything they did the year before. Sure he played solid last year, but he was also in a scheme he knew like the back of his hand. He's old he's going to a new scheme and he's going to have to think more and instinctively know where to be less. He can't make up for mistakes with fast twitch anymore.

Sure hes an upgrade over pullard or emannuel but that's not saying much and he could very well stunt the growth of a good backup.

I mean I'm not getting out the pitchforks over the signing but I feel like there is way to much excitement over a ped using old guy to be a backup/mentor to our team.

On the bright side he can teach our players how to avoid getting caught using PEDs, that's gotta be worth a few million.
                        Okay, name one CURRENT backup that is in danger of being cut due to Davis taking up a roster spot...

Comment

• Budsman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Okay, name one CURRENT backup that is in danger of being cut due to Davis taking up a roster spot...
                          Why do I need to name a current backup? My point was that I would rather allow someone to develop as a backup, ie a rookie or young player we can pickup who can get BETTER vs an old lb who cheats and is getting worse.

Its my opinion, you obviously disagree and that's cool. I'll admit I hope you're right and he helps lead the team to a Super Bowl, I don't think it will happen, he likely gets hurt or cut before that.

Comment

Working...
                          X