• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

I think people are overestimating how many decent LB are out there. There really are not many. Pullard and Emmanuel are similar to a lot of players that most teams start at LB every day. That is kinda the problem with LB. There are not many good ones, and they are sorta becoming big DB, who cannot play the run very well.

There are a few good ones out there, but remember CJ Mosley just signed a deal averaging $17 mill per season. We are not just going to find a decent one and have to pay $10 million for some young guy who still isn't our ideal fit. Or we can play situational football, use a LB for some stuff, and a dime LB for others, and do it for the same amount or maybe even a lot less. Phillips has been doing it on a rookie deal for 2 years, and playing LB better than most true LB can.

I don't care how it's structured, they can't walk away from Mosley's contract, not without cratering their salary cap. And those are teams with very few high paid players, because those teams suck. It would be much harder, and have bigger impacts down the road for us, because we can't afford to lose our high paid players, beause we are going to need Keenan Allen, Russell Okung, Ingram and Bosa.......

The good thing is even though we just signed a high priced backup, that is what LB are. We need an LB to play in the base D, and in the goalline/short-yardage. That is situational football. No one plays their LB on the field very much if they can help it. Even the little quick LB are going to have trouble stopping WR in pass coverage. But that is where Phillips and our DB come in, and why we play so much dime. They are the starters because they are the guys that actually play.

Who cares if the LB are backups, they always were. This is something that dates back to the 1980's, so this is not some new thing.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post
      You are always taking a big risk relying on 37 year old to repeat anything they did the year before. Sure he played solid last year, but he was also in a scheme he knew like the back of his hand. He's old he's going to a new scheme and he's going to have to think more and instinctively know where to be less. He can't make up for mistakes with fast twitch anymore.

Sure hes an upgrade over pullard or emannuel but that's not saying much and he could very well stunt the growth of a good backup.

I mean I'm not getting out the pitchforks over the signing but I feel like there is way to much excitement over a ped using old guy to be a backup/mentor to our team.

On the bright side he can teach our players how to avoid getting caught using PEDs, that's gotta be worth a few million.
      If it makes a difference, he is currently 35. Will be 36 on the 22nd. I also didn't really want a older guy but if they can get one good year out of him while being a mentor, great. His contract is second year friendly I think. Even at 36 he is better than Emanuel.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Not really second year friendly. Similar to Perrymans. Both can be cut with 2M dead money each. I think Thomas is a one year rental and mentor to White. But he helps keep guys fresh. Gives us the opportunity to not have to reach for a LB. I expect we draft another LB though. Both guys are only a 7M hit this year combined. Next year closer to 15M combined. Still we are sitting at 100M under the cap next year. After rookies and a cap increase probably around the same number. Goes up if we release Thomas. Perryman probably probably stays. We have some big names to lock up next year.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

I'm not comfortable with Pullard and Emmanuel on the field for more than a few plays. They are weak links

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
            I'm not comfortable with Pullard and Emmanuel on the field for more than a few plays. They are weak links
            I concur.
            To round out out LB core with 1 or more draft picks/UDFAs.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Very glad TT is addressing this very weak area of the team. Hope we get a LB in the draft to add to the mix.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post
                You are always taking a big risk relying on 37 year old to repeat anything they did the year before. Sure he played solid last year, but he was also in a scheme he knew like the back of his hand. He's old he's going to a new scheme and he's going to have to think more and instinctively know where to be less. He can't make up for mistakes with fast twitch anymore.

Sure hes an upgrade over pullard or emannuel but that's not saying much and he could very well stunt the growth of a good backup.

I mean I'm not getting out the pitchforks over the signing but I feel like there is way to much excitement over a ped using old guy to be a backup/mentor to our team.

On the bright side he can teach our players how to avoid getting caught using PEDs, that's gotta be worth a few million.
                Not a big financial risk....I actually like the risk : reward on this contract. His play has yet to show significant decline. Maybe it happens this yr, maybe not. I personally think we have him for 1 yr. he came to a talented roster to try to win a ring.

FWIW....he turns 36 March 22nd

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                  Free agents though right? I think so. Im ready to move on.

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

got to thinking this guy might be similar to the Takeo Spikes signing and giving Chargers 2 good years of veteran leadership at ILB in 2011/2012 when he was 35 & 36 years old. Then they cut him as the younger guys got more established and he was done.
                    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDFan View Post
                      got to thinking this guy might be similar to the Takeo Spikes signing and giving Chargers 2 good years of veteran leadership at ILB in 2011/2012 when he was 35 & 36 years old. Then they cut him as the younger guys got more established and he was done.
                      Poor Takeo Spikes: never played a playoff game & then the Chargers make the playoffs the year after he retires.

He went out in style though: kicked out of his final game for punching a Raider.
                      Last edited by powderblueboy; 06-07-2019, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

GusD breaking down TDavis

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                          GusD breaking down TDavis

His pursuit and contain angles/reads are amazing. He knows where the ball carrier is going to be and gets there before he does. You wont see bad angles and over pursuit with TD. He will make everyone around him better. Pretty excited about him.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍