• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Agree with Steve's assessment.
    TDavis is not there yet performance wise. Kyzir is still inconsistent. I consider this our number one problem on D.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      They signed him to be a leader in the locker room and he has done that. More attention to detail. Getting guys to work harder. Those things take time to pay off.

The thing we knew was he is not necessarily going to be a great player. He is still learning the D and it shows. He is not making the reads like he did in Carolina, and he is showing old legs in that it sometimes looks like he has lead feet before he gets his feet moving. When Perryman comes back,

I would like to see White shift back to Will, and Perryman play Mike.

But for now, we are getting stuck in some poor matchups because of the injuries to the secondary, and that isn't going to change till we start to get some guys back. Then we can go back to the personnel groups that we have used the last couple of years, and stop matching LB vs much faster and more mobile players.
      The defense needs to tighten it up further. AL said he did think there were improvements in stopping the run, in his post game comments. It seemed to me that we gave up too many "2nd and sevens" and too many "1st down conversions." That is Kyzir-TDavis stuff.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
        i thought i read somewhere that facyson lead in tackles, at least for dbs...that doesnt mean he's good. he's getting routinely beaten. You can see the beatdown in his face everytime a catch is made on him.
        He has 17 tackles, most by any corner in the league. Davis leads the NFL with 26 tackles.

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

Facyson and Davis are still weak links so far in the defense regardless of tackles after the reception.

Comment

• jubei
            Vagabond Ninja
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

yeah that was my point. lotsa tackles, in the case of facyson, simply means his man is catching the ball and facyson has to make the tackle. he looks like he's lost all confidence. He needs to make a couple of plays to feel better. I can see it in his face.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

On this defense Davis is the only LB routinely in position to make a mistake. Kyzir White is completely clueless at MLB.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

From Daniel Poppers Q&A on Davis:

Daniel, thoughts on Thomas Davis? Looks awfully late to the party. The tackle stats are misleading I believe - often occurring after a 6 yard run?

Daniel Popper
                Thomas Davis is trying to learn a completely new role in Gus Bradley's defense. It's going to take some time for him to get comfortable. He played almost exclusively as an edge player in Carolina, but now is being asked to play on the interior, even filling the Mike role in dime packages. There's no doubt he's missed some plays. Obviously the T.Y. Hilton touchdown in Week 1 is the primary example. But he's a savvy and talented player. I expect his performance to improve as he gets more settled in his role.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  From Daniel Poppers Q&A on Davis:

Daniel, thoughts on Thomas Davis? Looks awfully late to the party. The tackle stats are misleading I believe - often occurring after a 6 yard run?

Daniel Popper
                  Thomas Davis is trying to learn a completely new role in Gus Bradley's defense. It's going to take some time for him to get comfortable. He played almost exclusively as an edge player in Carolina, but now is being asked to play on the interior, even filling the Mike role in dime packages. There's no doubt he's missed some plays. Obviously the T.Y. Hilton touchdown in Week 1 is the primary example. But he's a savvy and talented player. I expect his performance to improve as he gets more settled in his role.
                  Daniel's take is spot on--see wu signature. :chuckle:

I'm springin' on the next taco run.
                  :drool:

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

He has 17 tackles, most by any corner in the league. Davis leads the NFL with 26 tackles.
                    And how many whiffs does Davis have? I've seen several...

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      Agree with Steve's assessment.
                      TDavis is not there yet performance wise. Kyzir is still inconsistent. I consider this our number one problem on D.
                      Yep. Will Perryman help? Brown? Tranquil? Bueller? Buehler? Anybody?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Stay tuned...the best is yet to come.

BTE I have run out of terms for what to call it
                        when TDavis--Kyzir start playing together
                        like a well-oiled machine...

:coffee:

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Perryman and Tranquill will help. Brown, not so much, especially if he has to go to the sideline...seen him take bad angles and whiff too many times...

Comment

Working...
                          X