• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by shruggy View Post

The thing is, I don't think there's a QB in the 1st round that's worth trading up for. Or in any round, other than the 6th, if it means simply adding our 7th.

If there's anyone we trade up for, perhaps in next year's draft. I hear that Trevor Lawrence kid is pretty good.

Lawrence will be in the 2021 draft. He was a true freshman last season. But, there will be plenty of others in next years draft.
    11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
    35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
    37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
    66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
    69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
    105 Brenden Rice WR - USC
    110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
    140 Hunter Nourzad OC - Penn st
    181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
    225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• shruggy
      shruggy was here
      • Dec 2018
      • Send PM

Originally posted by panamamike
      Except he will still have another year before being eligible.
      Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Lawrence will be in the 2021 draft. He was a true freshman last season. But, there will be plenty of others in next years draft.
      Ah, I wasn't aware you had to have at least 3 seasons under your belt before coming out.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Is this anything more than your "spidey sense" giving you that old feeling? I mean, do you have spies in the other 26 war rooms, so that you know what all of them will be doing with their drafts?

The way I read all of these moves it is so that TT can maximize his draft. If you actually listen to what TT says, he can't stand drafting for need. No one seems to listen to him, but if you follow his other moves, it really does seem to fit the pattern a guy who is practicing what he preaches. If he does that, I am not sure what his motive is other than to just draft off his board, take the players he just thinks are the best fit.

I'm actually OK with drafting up to a QB, even in the 1st round (in principle). It would have to be the right player, and I am not sure that I am that sold on any QB in this draft, but if they fell into range (22-ish), or even higher if a team was not necessarily trying to maximize value. That being said, I think we stay at 28 or so, and draft best available, even though that really means that we have no control over who that is.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Is this anything more than your "spidey sense" giving you that old feeling? I mean, do you have spies in the other 26 war rooms, so that you know what all of them will be doing with their drafts?

The way I read all of these moves it is so that TT can maximize his draft. If you actually listen to what TT says, he can't stand drafting for need. No one seems to listen to him, but if you follow his other moves, it really does seem to fit the pattern a guy who is practicing what he preaches. If he does that, I am not sure what his motive is other than to just draft off his board, take the players he just thinks are the best fit.

I'm actually OK with drafting up to a QB, even in the 1st round (in principle). It would have to be the right player, and I am not sure that I am that sold on any QB in this draft, but if they fell into range (22-ish), or even higher if a team was not necessarily trying to maximize value. That being said, I think we stay at 28 or so, and draft best available, even though that really means that we have no control over who that is.
          Fortunately there may be a cluster of need position guys at 28. We shall see. I do like that it is fairly strong and deep at positions we have the least depth.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

I also think there is sorta a karma like thing that frequently happens.

Last year we happened on Derwin James, and he was beyond our wildest dreams. This year, a think there is a chance a top DT or OT could fall into our laps. I just remember that AJ was counting on one of the 5 OT to be there at RT, our biggest position of need. Typically, 5 is enough to get through a single 1st round. But a couple picks before we went, the last one was taken. We switched to the next biggest need, and we got Buster Davis.

This year, I feel like we could take the roster we have now, and pretty much start the season. We can take anyone who we like when we draft, trade down if we can find someone to give picks, and we will be well served. But when you have to make moves, you frequently over think them and make mistakes.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
              Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
              • Jun 2013
              • Palm Springs
              • I know nothing
              • Send PM

I have long believed that good GMs look a which position groups will be strong in future drafts and pick current years accordingly

Comment

• Jagged
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Omaha, Nebraska
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 8/6/1960 View Post
                I have long believed that good GMs look a which position groups will be strong in future drafts and pick current years accordingly
                Not that I'm doubting that, but a year is a long time and position groups can change in an instance.

Comment

Working...
                X