• Show
Clear All
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Well, it's not like he hasn't tried to attack the oline problem via the draft and FA. Fluker, Watt, Tuerk, Lamp, Feeny are all third and earlier draft picks. Franklin, King Dunlap, Mike Pouncey, Okung are FA pick ups. Obviously a lot of misses especially in the draft so far. With the exception of Mebane (and some late trades earlier in his tenure), he did seem to ignore the DT positions more.
    You made my point very well. Thanks. Pouncy was a gem indeed I would agree. But in six years 1 FA center and two guards is not a priority.

Comment

• Xenos
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I was pointing out interior O line and D Tackles. Fluker played RT for us not guard or center.

Pointing out late round picks and dumpster diving FA makes my point. Thank you.
      Fluker played guard for us in 2015 and 2016. And those were not late round picks unless you think the 3rd round is late. We were not dumpster diving when we picked up Franklin, Pouncey, and Okung. Slauson, for example, was kind of dumpster diving even though he had a solid 2016 season with us.

Comment

• Xenos
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

You made my point very well. Thanks. Pouncy was a gem indeed I would agree. But in six years 1 FA center and two guards is not a priority.
        FA pick ups cost money (whether they work out or not), so that's a heavy investment in order to avoid having to draft them early. Likewise, you should probably compare us to other teams before jumping the gun like that.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
          Not happy here that we are losing a valuable rotation player
          All good teams do this time of year, look at the Rams. Just a reality of the league when you are as good as we are. The trick is, what is your plan for fielding a slightly changed but still winning team? So far I think TT has positioned us pretty well, mitigated losses included. Also not out of the question to see both Luiget and Square back if that helps, although I would wait to sign both till after the draft to see if we even need them.

Comment

• Shock&Awe
            Great White North
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

All good teams do this time of year, look at the Rams. Just a reality of the league when you are as good as we are. The trick is, what is your plan for fielding a slightly changed but still winning team? So far I think TT has positioned us pretty well, mitigated losses included. Also not out of the question to see both Luiget and Square back if that helps, although I would wait to sign both till after the draft to see if we even need them.
            My main issue is we lost a valuable rotation player in a rotation that needs desperate upgrading, if we were to lose Ingram, hey we still have Bosa so let's go out and draft another DE. The fact we lost Philon means we have to go get a replacement for him and find a starter.

It's easier to let guys walk when you have contingency plans set, but right now it's up in the air for where the FO is heading. I imagine there is something in the worst though, or they wouldn't have let him walk. At least, I hope.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Isn't it tough to upgrade if we keep plugging the same guy back on the field? As others have mentioned, there is still Liuget and Square. I still think there is a very real chance of adding a DT in the 1st via the draft.

As far as actual production goes, Lanier has half as many sacks as Philon does, and in a lot fewer snaps. Same with Rochelle. Not that we are necessarily going to play them as early down DT, but as far as the late downs, I think you will see a mix of the DE types at DT a lot more this season, as the down and distance allows. As far as the ROTATION goes, that is an important part.

Philon had some flashes, and I would have liked to have brought him back, but he is nothing special.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Fluker played guard for us in 2015 and 2016. And those were not late round picks unless you think the 3rd round is late. We were not dumpster diving when we picked up Franklin, Pouncey, and Okung. Slauson, for example, was kind of dumpster diving even though he had a solid 2016 season with us.
                I am not sure we are on the same page. I am speaking of interior linemen, you and others are bringing up tackles. Fluker was drafted to be the right tackle of the future. He could not cut it so they tried and he failed at guard. Slauson did play well for a year and injured another but he was a reclamation project, not a priority FA. Also TT does not focus on the draft, he will spend late picks hoping to get lucky. Maybe our scouts are not very good with interior linemen?

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Shock&Awe View Post

My main issue is we lost a valuable rotation player in a rotation that needs desperate upgrading, if we were to lose Ingram, hey we still have Bosa so let's go out and draft another DE. The fact we lost Philon means we have to go get a replacement for him and find a starter.

It's easier to let guys walk when you have contingency plans set, but right now it's up in the air for where the FO is heading. I imagine there is something in the worst though, or they wouldn't have let him walk. At least, I hope.
                  Philon is a rotational guy. Not a starter so I'm not as worried. It probably helped that Justin Jones was taking more of the snaps away from him anyways when Liuget went down.

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

I am not sure we are on the same page. I am speaking of interior linemen, you and others are bringing up tackles. Fluker was drafted to be the right tackle of the future. He could not cut it so they tried and he failed at guard. Slauson did play well for a year and injured another but he was a reclamation project, not a priority FA. Also TT does not focus on the draft, he will spend late picks hoping to get lucky. Maybe our scouts are not very good with interior linemen?
                    Okay, I thought we were talking about OL in general. The problem is that interior linemen are usually not as valued as OT. Generally speaking, you won't spend a premium pick on one versus an OT in the draft because you can find them in the later rounds. There are exceptions such as can't miss prospects (like the Colts and Quentin Nelson). TT still spent a 2nd on one, and three on third rounders in the draft. And he did try to get Franklin and Pouncey in the FA.

My question to you then FoutsFan is how does TT do relative to other GMs with regards to spending resources on OL?

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Shock&Awe View Post

Yeah, we need good players on the dline. But I would not compare what Philon brought to it to what Ingram means to his position. Apples and fish.

Comment

• SDFan
                        Woober Goober
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Dolores, CO
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

I was pointing out interior O line and D Tackles. Fluker played RT for us not guard or center.

Pointing out late round picks and dumpster diving FA makes my point. Thank you.
                        Fluker was drafted as a G and initially played G too during his time with the Chargers. Clary was the RT at 1st then injuries sidelined him and Fluker moved to RT. I was only pointing out high picks on interior Oline you missed when dismissing TT's draft efforts there.
                        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

TT has mentioned his belief that he prefers to draft OT at the top of the draft rather than OG. That was back when Fluker was drafted, and the point he made at the time was Fluker in his mind was just an OT.

Now, it will be interesting to see how his views on OL and drafting players have changed. If they haven't been evaluating what they think and our experiences finding the interior OL, then it is time to fire TT and all the scouts and front office staff. Not because of the OL issues directly, but simply because anyone who is closed minded has no business being in charge of a professional football team.

Owners, Coaches, and front office (GM) need to be constantly evaluating what they do, how they do it and when necessary tearing it up and finding ways to do it better. If for no reason then the game of football, both at college and the NFL are constantly changing.

Comment

Working...
                          X