• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
    I think Cardale would still suck in the AAF. Bercovici sure does.
    LOL. Cardale would be ready right when Phil's done.

Hmmm...maybe not.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Not all the members of the NFLPA are all that thrilled with more competition for their jobs. So the NFLPA is not exactly on board, even though more members would actually make the NFLPA look stronger.

NFL owners have always been lukewarm about a developmental league. It costs money, and the thought of allocating players that may then go on to play for another team isn't a thrilling prospect.

This is exactly the sort of league that players like Cardale Jones should be in right now, not on the bottom of an NFL roster where they never get to play in games. Add in the way college teams just don't develop fundamentals in some positions (OL, LB), it would be nice to see.
      Actually, there already IS a de facto developmental league...it's called the Canadian Football League...

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
        Perception inside the AAF is that Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon bought a majority stake in the league simply for the gambling app being developed. Source: "Dundon got the technology he wanted and he's now minus one rather large headache."
        Cameragate
        Deflategate
        Hookergate
        ...and now...

GAMBLEGATE...

wow...just, wow...
        Last edited by Topcat; 04-03-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
          I think Cardale would still suck in the AAF. Bercovici sure does.
          I think Cardale might even have trouble in the ITALIAN Football League...yes, this is actually a thing...their Super Bowl is called...ahem, the ITALIAN BOWL...John Grisham even wrote a very entertaining novel about it, called "Playing for Pizza."

Comment

• bartman83642
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Sorry, they did not need young NFL players to stay afloat. I don't think it was ever set up that way in the first place...at least not with any type of agreement obviously. They just needed to concentrate on signing some of the players that didn't make rosters or were bubble type players that don't get taken in the NFL draft. Those are the players who might later on be able to make a roster if they can develop.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by bartman83642 View Post
              Sorry, they did not need young NFL players to stay afloat. I don't think it was ever set up that way in the first place...at least not with any type of agreement obviously. They just needed to concentrate on signing some of the players that didn't make rosters or were bubble type players that don't get taken in the NFL draft. Those are the players who might later on be able to make a roster if they can develop.
              Good point. There's PLENTY of FA's and UDFA's who are more than happy to be earning a football paycheck while getting the attention of NFL scouts...no, this whole thing sounds fishy...maybe there is something to the Gamblegate theory...

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

#1 I thought the overreaction from the media was hilarious after the first weekend.
                (Look how everyone is watching! People want more football! This is going to work!) - It was something new. So it had an audience for the first week.

#2 The quarterback play was atrocious. It just was. I caught pieces of about 4-5 games, and it seemed like a miracle when a pass was caught in stride, on time.
                -Which is why I joking said, lean in to running the Urban Meyer spread and run stuff... most the young qb's learn that anyway in college...

#3 I think it would be great if there was a developmental league. I really do. The NBA has the G League. Hockey and Baseball have a bunch. It would be a good thing.

#4 If this one couldn't last, backed by some heavy hitters, Polian and Ebersol, and whatnot, with TV deals in place... it's going to be difficult for any league to make any headway.
                "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I was hoping that the league could at least get through its first season, but major investors (or maybe just one) didn't see an uptrend, so the promised money was pulled. I think the NFLPA didn't want players in a minor league, they would rather have more players in the big league (or at least the ones they had control of), but that was only a minor blip as compared to making the league profitable, and then maybe making the NFL into real partners. In the end, the interest faded... it may have worked fine as a business in San Antonio, but San Diego was pretty weak.

As far as the play went, it was as ok, but yes the QB play was pretty bad, and anyone with decent NFL talent is already signed with the big league. However, it was kind of watchable, in a background kind of way.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

I enjoyed it. You saw some players that we're once on an NFL team that has progressed to get another shot and some that looked bad like Bercovici. He was awful and the QB the Fleet had ahead of him before he got hurt was clearly better.

I wouldn't mind us signing AJ Tarpley and give him a go as a backup MLB. If he don't make it, he don't make it but he showed some decent play.

The SDSU CB on the Fleet #24 was hit and miss. He had 3 INTs in that one game looking great but didn't look great in the next one, He did end up with another INT but was struggling before that
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-04-2019, 03:56 PM.
                    11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                    35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                    37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                    66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                    69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                    100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                    110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                    140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                    181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                    225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Not to worry. The FREEDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUE, including the San Diego Warriors, is coming in 2020!

The Freedom Football League was announced on December 6, 2018 by Ricky Williams on ESPN's Outside the Lines. Williams indicated there were 100 initial stakeholders plus additional financing planned. He also announced the teams' locations and names.[1]

In 2019, the league was planning to make a series of private and public equity offerings.[1] While ESPN reports that no set first season date,[1] Sporting News indicated 2020 for the first season.[2]

The league has told multiple sources that the league will start in March 2020.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Cameragate
                        Deflategate
                        Hookergate
                        ...and now...

GAMBLEGATE...

wow...just, wow...
                        Not accurate. The intellectual property rights are privately held and not by the league. He has no stake in the app at all.

He he is a douche though. He stiffed the players for their hotel rooms the last week and flights home. Nice to wake up with no job and a 2500 room charge on your VISA. This is the same Ahole that informed his NHL scouts he would no longer pay for their phone bills. Congrats Dan Snyder, you are no longer the worst owner in Pro Sports.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Not accurate. The intellectual property rights are privately held and not by the league. He has no stake in the app at all.

He he is a douche though. He stiffed the players for their hotel rooms the last week and flights home. Nice to wake up with no job and a 2500 room charge on your VISA. This is the same Ahole that informed his NHL scouts he would no longer pay for their phone bills. Congrats Dan Snyder, you are no longer the worst owner in Pro Sports.
                          According to the reports, Dundon bought a majority stake in the gambling app:

The AAF is folding after just eight weeks of action after investor and majority Tom Dundon pulled the plug on league operations Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
                          X