• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

It's probably the right thing to move the entire thread to the off topic forum, but since the owner of this place started it here, I won't step on his shoes and do it. 1090 radio is a part of many of our lives, and to me the media biz is interesting, Kaplan supposedly is trying to get investors together to take control of the radio frequency, I won't discount that, but its a very long shot. However diving back into inept politicians and team owners around the team relocation was something that Fleet probably won't let run here as there isn't much more to say about it.

Comment

• Budsman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
      It's probably the right thing to move the entire thread to the off topic forum, but since the owner of this place started it here, I won't step on his shoes and do it. 1090 radio is a part of many of our lives, and to me the media biz is interesting, Kaplan supposedly is trying to get investors together to take control of the radio frequency, I won't discount that, but its a very long shot. However diving back into inept politicians and team owners around the team relocation was something that Fleet probably won't let run here as there isn't much more to say about it.
      Yeah it feel like this is quickly going off the topic and becoming a conversation around big government vs little government. To be honest it probably good that I dont get stuck going down this rabit hole, it never ends up well.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
        SLAM DUNK!
        • Jun 2013
        • East County San Diego
        • Bolt fanatic
        • Send PM

Shawn Merriman cryptically tweeted something out that hinted he wanted to buy the station
        migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
          Shawn Merriman cryptically tweeted something out that hinted he wanted to buy the station
          Cool, just fire Kaplan.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

The website:

For the last two weeks, Mighty 1090 programming has only been available online and through our mobile app. We can't thank you enough for bearing with us through this ordeal. Unfortunately, we have ceased operations. We are forever grateful for your passion, loyalty, and all your support over the years.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

They adopted that biased hatred. And Frankly im sick of it. Across all media platforms. I cant even watch the news anymore.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                They adopted that biased hatred. And Frankly im sick of it. Across all media platforms. I cant even watch the news anymore.
                When your programming (to a certain point and personalities) is based on rage and hate bias that emotion can only be sustained for a time. Its great for a short term burst of listeners or audience but it just cannot keep it going. That is one of the reasons that 1090 could not sustain itself and why the news has to make up a new outrage or crisis every other day to keep the rage rolling and feed the perpetually outraged.

I agree with your 100% as to why I cannot watch the news anymore.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

When your programming (to a certain point and personalities) is based on rage and hate bias that emotion can only be sustained for a time. Its great for a short term burst of listeners or audience but it just cannot keep it going. That is one of the reasons that 1090 could not sustain itself and why the news has to make up a new outrage or crisis every other day to keep the rage rolling and feed the perpetually outraged.

I agree with your 100% as to why I cannot watch the news anymore.
                  Its really bad. And the rise of social media hasnt helped. Its all agenda driven.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Its really bad. And the rise of social media hasnt helped. Its all agenda driven.
                    I agree with this. 1090 never got over the butt hurt of the Chargers leaving and the constant snarky comments and bitter ranting made it really hard to ever want to listen to it. Sadly, it is a microcosm of what is going on by the news networks with Fox vs the MSM which makes it hard to watch any of them. The intolerance of other viewpoints, faux outrage over every tiny thing and total hypocrisy by all of them has stopped me from watching the news because I am getting opinions from reporters drifting further to right right/left rather than news. A reporter is supposed to provide an unbiased report of events, but as Fleet notes, everyone has an agenda and reporters no longer even pretend to be objective. And social media simply fans the flames with all of the same intolerance, outrage and hypocrisy that is prevalent everywhere. It is not healthy for this country.

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I agree with this. 1090 never got over the butt hurt of the Chargers leaving and the constant snarky comments and bitter ranting made it really hard to ever want to listen to it. Sadly, it is a microcosm of what is going on by the news networks with Fox vs the MSM which makes it hard to watch any of them. The intolerance of other viewpoints, faux outrage over every tiny thing and total hypocrisy by all of them has stopped me from watching the news because I am getting opinions from reporters drifting further to right right/left rather than news. A reporter is supposed to provide an unbiased report of events, but as Fleet notes, everyone has an agenda and reporters no longer even pretend to be objective. And social media simply fans the flames with all of the same intolerance, outrage and hypocrisy that is prevalent everywhere. It is not healthy for this country.
                      The actions of Scott and even whats her name were really mind blowing to me on twitter. The attacks. The false accusations. The hatred of fans that stayed with the team. It was so fucking unprofessional it made me sick. I think BRS handled himself great. I used to sit behind him in Church. Hes a great dude. really mellow and peaceful.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

1090 had better ratings than the other two sports radio stations in San Diego, even after the Charger relocation. It may have been due to the long reach of the signal, or the content itself. The weird thing is that the other two stations will continue to live on as they are part of two huge radio companies, no matter how bad their ratings or signal are. I have no opinion about what the shows were saying lately as I just moved on to other formats. What I'm surprised about is how quickly BCA folded on the audio streams, probably because the loss of the radio signal was the last straw for their advertisers. It's sad to me that this station with its history tracing back to the start of all-sports radio (along with WFAN), and earlier than that as a border blaster in the days of "American Graffitti" is gone. Even though the hosts were total asses about the relocation, I hate it when voices are silenced, only because of business. My thinking remains that some of the on-air talent will eventually show up again, probably on the other two stations or out of market, or they will do their stuff on syndication or streaming on their own, and the rest of the station will just have to find new jobs.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                          Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Palm Springs
                          • I know nothing
                          • Send PM

I could be wrong but I remember the old "border blaster" as the mighty 690 in the 60s

Comment

Working...
                          X