• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

If he looks better than Cardale, and the other development QB draftees after Rivers, then I'll be happy, at least until the next draft. Ideally, he'll have at least 2 years of sitting behind PR, and won't look as bad as Brees did when he was forced into the breech, initially. You never know until you need to know with QB's, nowadays.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Chargers believe Easton Stick has "make-it" qualities

Posted by Charean Williams on June 21, 2019, 4:59 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Chargers have drafted four quarterbacks since Philip Rivers arrived in 2004. Charlie Whitehurst (a third-rounder in 2006), Jonathan Crompton (a fifth-rounder in 2010) and Brad Sorensen (a seventh-rounder in 2013) never threw a pass for the Chargers.

They are hoping Easton Stick turns out better.

The Chargers used a fifth-round choice on the North Dakota State quarterback, deciding a couple of weeks before the draft to take Stick.

Rivers hasn't missed a start since 2005, and the Chargers have Tyrod Taylor and Cardale Jonesbehind him. So Stick first has to make the 53-player roster and likely won't play a down even if he does.

But the Chargers drafted Stick as a developmental quarterback.

"He's a guy that we really like," Chargers General Manager Tom Telesco said, via Ricky Henne of the team website. "For quarterbacks that don't really go high in the draft, we think he has a lot of qualities that are 'make-it' qualities. He's a fifth-round pick. When you look at his production in college, his toughness, his leadership -- his intangibles are off the charts. He's a great athlete, too, in the pocket as far as moving around, making plays with his feet and extending the play. He's very accurate. Like I said, he has great touch with the ball. He has great poise -- doesn't get rattled very easily. There are a lot of qualities that we look for in a quarterback."

Stick led North Dakota State to FCS titles in two of his three seasons as a starter.

"I like him," Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said. "He's a winner. He went 49-3 at North Dakota State. He's a sharp player. He's creative when he has to be. He's a passer. I like him a lot. I think he's a good prospect, and he'll get a chance to compete."
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Training camp is right around the corner, and as always, there are several key storylines to keep an eye on at this point in the offseason.

Over the coming weeks, we'll highlight some of the more noteworthy ones set to play out at Jack Hammett Sports Complex as well as during the preseason. How Will Easton Stick Measure Up?

RELATED LINKS

Like all teams, the Chargers can host up to 30 prospects leading into the NFL Draft.

One of those who came to Hoag Performance Center this year was a quarterback out of North Dakota State by the name of Easton Stick.

By the time he left, the Bolts knew they were going to select him.

In fact, when General Manager Tom Telesco called Stick to let him know they were taking him in the fifth round, he explained how they'd made their minds up weeks prior they were going to select him.

It was a matter of when, not if.

"He's a guy that we really like," the GM said. "For quarterbacks that don't really go high in the draft, we think he has a lot of qualities that are 'make it' qualities. He's a fifth-round pick. When you look at his production in college, his toughness, his leadership -- his intangibles are off the charts. He's a great athlete, too, in the pocket as far as moving around, making plays with his feet and extending the play. He's very accurate. Like I said, he has great touch with the ball. He has great poise -- doesn't get rattled very easily. There are a lot of qualities that we look for in a quarterback."

"I like him," added Head Coach Anthony Lynn. "He's a winner. He went 49-3 at North Dakota State. He's a sharp player. He's creative when he has to be. He's a passer. I like him a lot. I think he's a good prospect and he'll get a chance to compete."

So, why were the Bolts so enamored with Stick following his visit?

"We sent him a packet with some things and when he came in, we quizzed him on it," Offensive Coordinator Ken Whisenhunt explained. "We did something a little bit different this time. Usually, we'll ask them specific questions about plays in the packet. This time, we just said, 'Draw everything that you can remember.' Usually, it's about three plays -- three pass plays and a couple of runs. (Stick) was very impressive. It's still on the board in (my office), the three plays that he drew up and how detailed they were. For a college football player having to learn something that's a little bit different than what he's done, put the time in and come back without any notice and be able to put it back up on the board was really impressive."

It goes without saying that there's no position in sports that fires fans up more than quarterback. For that reason alone, all eyes will be on Stick come training camp to see how he measures up. It doesn't matter if you were taken first overall or Mr. Irrelevant with the final pick in the draft - if a team selects a quarterback, fans are going to be giddy to see him on the field.

Still, it's important to take everything in stride and remember Stick is merely a 23-year-old who'll spend the season learning behind Philip Rivers and Tyrod Taylor.

That being said, it's clear there are qualities the team can't wait to see in action at training camp and during preseason play. He showed glimpses of it during the offseason, so Stick's growth will be something to monitor all summer long.

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

I like Stick.
          He may surprise us long term.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

The next Dave Krieg!

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
              The next Dave Krieg!
              I'd be happy if he turns out as Krieg or better even.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                The next Dave Krieg!
                Without the fumbles...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Better than the real thing.
                  Easton is actually buff.
                  Swolled like Gronk & hardwina.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Two pro bowls & lead his team to as many AFC championship games as Phillip Rivers. Don't sneeze at the war-hammer! Both Krieg and Stick are about the same height, mobile & have very similar throwing motions. Stick heavier because of modern science - not genetics.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Charger QB coach talks about what he likes in Easton Stick
                      Los Angeles Chargers quarterback coach Shane Steichen breaks down rookie Easton Stick's film.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Even with shoulder pads, Krieg looked like he didn't have any shoulders!

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

I thought Stick showed a lot in the Cards game. Despite that early pick (rook mistake), I was really impressed the way he bounced back from that and drove the Bolts right down the field for that TD. His ability to scramble makes a huge difference. And his passing was mostly accurate. Still needs to learn to put more touch on the shorter passes, but that can be coached up. Good-by Kordell...

Comment

Working...
                          X