Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
    Tuhrod is too old to be the future...
    He is 30 now and if Rivers plays this year, plus a 2 year extension as I expect, Taylor will be 33 and at best a stop gap and not the future.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

He is 30 now and if Rivers plays this year, plus a 2 year extension as I expect, Taylor will be 33 and at best a stop gap and not the future.
      I think Stick has a chance to be a solid starting NFL quarterback: somewhere between Brady & Fitzmagic. I like how he's pushing the ball down the field at this early stage. A lot of young qbs just check it down to a rb or tight end all day; a lot of veteran backup qbs do that too.

It really comes down to how much he wants it. I can't really compare him to any one right now. He has all the intangibles except height - but that doesn't seem to be a big issue. I wish he looked more comfortable in a crumbling pocket; he has had too great a tendency to just run it.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I think Stick has a chance to be a solid starting NFL quarterback: somewhere between Brady & Fitzmagic. I like how he's pushing the ball down the field at this early stage. A lot of young qbs just check it down to a rb or tight end all day; a lot of veteran backup qbs do that too.

It really comes down to how much he wants it. I can't really compare him to any one right now. He has all the intangibles except height - but that doesn't seem to be a big issue. I wish he looked more comfortable in a crumbling pocket; he has had too great a tendency to just run it.
        Well, I think you'd see Stick staying in the pocket more if we had better pass pro...Tevi, Pip and Lamp didn't impress all that much in the Cards game...

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

So far, looking like TT hit big time in the fourth and fifth rounds. Third round, not so much.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Philip might get the two year extension, but there is a school of thought/contingent out there (myself included) that thinks he plays but one season in the new stadium, and....

that would make Taylor 32, and w/a good five to ten years in front of him as an NFL QB.... my guess is that as long as AL is the HC, that the starting QB job is his to lose.
            RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I think Stick has a chance to be a solid starting NFL quarterback: somewhere between Brady & Fitzmagic.
              did volunteer to half eat some crow re: my Stick to the ps comment, and.... will still be that guy that doubts he ends up a starting QB in the NFL.

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Well, I think you'd see Stick staying in the pocket more if we had better pass pro...Tevi, Pip and Lamp didn't impress all that much in the Cards game...
                He tended to do this at North Dakota state too. He never, ever slides - might start considering it.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                  So far, looking like TT hit big time in the fourth and fifth rounds. Third round, not so much.
                  Trey's first PSG1 is hardly the end all be all of prospect analysis/development. Pipkins had some excellent blocks in both the run & pass game against the Cards. He has a lot to learn and has the athleticism/skillset to get it done.

I do agree that Drue and Easton looks very solid for day 3 picks.
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Yep, still early days but liking our future MLB and QB so far.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

I don't think Tyrod Taylor is too old to carry the team into the future if Rivers retires in two years. My take is the window will still be open because the team has so much young talent that will create the core of an solid to elite team for the next 5-7 seasons, through the prime years of players like Bosa, James, King, Mike Williams, Henry, Lamp, etc. Let's say Rivers wins a ring in the next two seasons and decides to retire. I think Taylor **could** slide in and keep this team elite enough to be in contention for titles for five more seasons. I don't know what management's thinking is, but they did sign him to a two-year contract. Maybe Stick Man becomes that guy rather than Taylor. I just think that TT is giving himself multiple options at QB to keep the team in Lombardi contention if the PR era ends in the next couple of seasons.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Is Tyrod a Super Bowl QB?
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                          Is Tyrod a Super Bowl QB?
                          Was Trent Dilfer a SB winning QB?

Comment

Working...