Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
    nice summary, Steve. interesting Q on LBs - maybe Dzub is really just on the roster as ST, not as a LB. we don't really want to play him at LB absent a mult-car wreck wiping out the roster above him. Same with GDavis - they don't intend to put him in as a receiver.

As for OL what bugs me isn't that they are young, as we were all young once. Its not that they are raw, i like raw - most notably sushi. No - what bugs me about them is they miss a lot of blocking assignments, and others that they pick up they just get beat. Lets see them with Pouncey back in the middle again with Feeney back at OG. Early schedule is not alarming, they could get a bit of time to become average. They don't need to be all pro.
    I would be a lot more supportive of Dzubnar if he was more of an ST ace. Guys like Hank Bauer or Steve Hendrickson. They tend to make a ton of plays on ST. Others like Andrew Gachkar, boring LB, but was an OK backup and great ST guy, so he added a lot more value to our team. Davis I get a bit more. He actually is not a bad run blocker, so he has some value on O.

Dzubnar is probably a leader in the ST room, but he averages about a tackle every other game and gets at least one personal foul call every (his rookie year he had 2 in his 1st game). Players, in general, are too lax about penalties, but starters on O and D, have lots of chances to overcome that in terms of value-added. Guys who just play on ST really don't.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I would be a lot more supportive of Dzubnar if he was more of an ST ace. Guys like Hank Bauer or Steve Hendrickson. They tend to make a ton of plays on ST. Others like Andrew Gachkar, boring LB, but was an OK backup and great ST guy, so he added a lot more value to our team. Davis I get a bit more. He actually is not a bad run blocker, so he has some value on O.

Dzubnar is probably a leader in the ST room, but he averages about a tackle every other game and gets at least one personal foul call every (his rookie year he had 2 in his 1st game). Players, in general, are too lax about penalties, but starters on O and D, have lots of chances to overcome that in terms of value-added. Guys who just play on ST really don't.
      Agree. I don't think that they should keep Dzub just for ST, He seems just avg on ST to me too. There is no upside, he lacks the skills to excel in the NFL unfortunately (for him).
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

OL is going to continue to be a problem for a while. I like Pipkins. Still has technique work to get through, but he has the skills. Scott looked like a new player too. Tevi had some moments in PS but didn't show that much improvement over the end of last year.

The guy who looked somewhat impressive, if maybe somewhat boring is Queesenberry (sp?). He is not a road graded who pancake guys all over the field, and he still misses some blocks here and there, but mostly he just locks on and keeps his guy blocked. Not the big upside kinda guy, but very consistent, not giving up a lot of big plays either.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

Especially with his propensity for concussions and suspensions. But RaiDUHS gonna RaiDUH :dunno::biggrin:
          And Gruden at it again. They signed QB Desean Kizer and now have 4 QBs on the roster. Kizer is awful. No idea why he would want him but Gruden is QB stupid that way. Mayock should of just told him no.

They need LBs as they only kept 5 but things like this is why the Raiders will stay mediocre.
          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
          105 Brenden Rice WR - USC
          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
          140 Hunter Nourzad OC - Penn st
          181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
          225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat

I couldn't find any stats on Dzoobie's penalties, but what is shocking about his stats is that he only has a total of 4 tackles and 4 assists in FOUR YEARS! Not to mention ZERO picks and passes defensed. Apparently, they don't list ST tackles or penalties here, but seriously, why is he still on the team?

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/p...=28679&team=24
            Zub the scrub has no business on this team.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Zub the scrub has no business on this team.
              Actually, I thought something was wrong about that Washington Post stat sheet, so here's Dzoobie's stats from NFL.com:

image.png

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Actually, I thought something was wrong about that Washington Post stat sheet, so here's Dzoobie's stats from NFL.com:

image.png
                My statement stands :hello:

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

And Gruden at it again. They signed QB Desean Kizer and now have 4 QBs on the roster. Kizer is awful. No idea why he would want him but Gruden is QB stupid that way. Mayock should of just told him no.

They need LBs as they only kept 5 but things like this is why the Raiders will stay mediocre.
                  Maybe Gruden is not all that impressed with Carr, and thinks he can work his magic by turning a QB scrub into a star...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Maybe Gruden is not all that impressed with Carr, and thinks he can work his magic by turning a QB scrub into a star...
                    Nah, he does this all the time, this isn't new and why I said at it again. But even if he wasn't , Kizer sure isn't going to fix that.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

The other issue is whether or not we have the right OL coach. I found this yesterday, and it is an interesting read. I'm not sure this is the best methodology to evaluate a coach by, however.

Interesting to note how many of these guys have coached for the Chargers [#34 Jeff Davidson ('16), #18 Pat Meyers ('17-'19), #12 Dave DeGuielmo (assistant OL '16),#7 Joe D'Alessandris ('13-'15)]

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/who-has-the-juice-nfl-offensive-line-coaches

WHO HAS THE JUICE: NFL OFFENSIVE LINE COACHES

December 11, 2018

by Justis Mosqueda

One of the most interesting coaching positions in sports is the offensive line coach. While the NFL has rallied around rules that have exploded passing efficiency since 2004, there is still little to no movement for the coaches who have hands-on roles with what amounts to half of a team's starters on the offensive side of the ball. Offensive coordinators are largely made up of former quarterbacks coaches. It seems like every year more of the NFL's head coaching positions are filled by former offensive coordinators...who were former quarterbacks coaches.

This leaves offensive line coaches in a weird spot. They are in charge of half of the offense. They coach the most expensive non-quarterbacks on the offense. Meanwhile, the linear path from quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator to head coach keeps everyone else in pretty stagnant positions. The difference? Other positional coaches do not coach half of a team on the field.

Something I have always wondered was how much an offensive line coach like Dante Scarnecchia, who first took over as New England's offensive line coach from 1999 to 2013 and came back for a second stint starting in 2016, really mattered in the context of the Bill Belichick era. Is he third most valuable guy behind Belichick and Tom Brady? It is hard to root that in something tangible when individual stats for offensive linemen are not tracked on a league page. People talk about offensive line coaches mattering, more so than other positional coaches at the NFL level, but I have never seen it quantified before.

In an attempt to do so, I tracked every current NFL offensive line coach's resume dating back to 2004, when we entered a pass-friendly era. What I tracked was two things: Sack Value and TFL Value for individual teams in individual seasons.

Sack Value: (((Team sacks given up/Team total pass plays)-(NFL sacks given up/NFL total pass plays))*Team total pass plays)*-1

TFL Value: (((Team tackles for a loss given up/Team total run plays)-(NFL total tackles for a loss given up/NFL total run plays))*Team total run plays)*-1

I treated tackles at the line as tackles for a loss with the idea being that if a back did not get momentum to push even a yard, there was likely to be penetration caused by an offensive lineman. I also excluded kneel downs from the data sample.

If there are any easy counting stats that could be attributed (and easily accessed) to the performance of offensive linemen, it would be sacks and TFLs. The value system adjusts for what the NFL average in the stat was in a given year, giving it an era adjustment for rule changes, and attributes a plus-minus number that is tangible.

Examples: +5 Sack Value means a team prevented five sacks better than the NFL average. -3 TFL Value means a team allowed three TFLs worse than the NFL average.

From there, you match current offensive line coaches to teams which they had qualifying coaching roles for (offensive line coach, offensive coordinator and head coach) and BOOM you find the value of offensive lines while these coaches have been in roles to heavily-influence them. From there, we can try to answer questions like "How good is Dante Scarnecchia?"

Results:

These are the numbers updated through Week 14 of the 2018 NFL season. As you can see, Scarnecchia really does matter more than any other offensive line coach in the NFL. His offensive linemen have collectively taken away 111 sacks relative to the NFL average, about as good as a Hall of Fame pass-rusher, and he ranks first in the NFL among offensive line coaches with a +121 TFL Value.

Behind Scarnecchia are three other offensive line coaches who have separated themselves from the pack: Dan Roushar of New Orleans, Mike Munchak of Pittsburgh and Bill Callahan of Washington. Munchak and Callahan are long-time NFL coaches who even earned head coaching jobs in the past while Roushar, ranked third on the list, has only been an NFL offensive line coach for three seasons. If there is anyone tabbed to be "The Next Scarnecchia" it is Roushar.

Some coaches, like Kansas City's Andy Heck, Houston's Mike Devlin, Carolina's John Matsko and Oakland's Tom Cable, are historically good in TFL Value but historically poor in Sack Value. Others, like Munchak and the Chargers' Pat Meyer, are historically good in Sack Value but historically poor in TFL Value.

In terms of career resumes, at least from 2004 on, the three most costly current offensive line coaches are Cable, Tampa Bay's George Warhop and Detroit's Jeff Davidson...and by a pretty good margin. What is interesting is that Mike Solari, who has really turned around the Seahawks' offensive line, ranks 31st out of 34 offensive line coaches in career resume. The difference? Cable is more than twice as costly.

As we approach hire-fire season, keep this list of names in mind. Davidson is coming to town? Add some more sacks to the total. Need a head coach? Roushar might be a sneaky candidate to get a look based off of what Munchak and Callahan have done to get head jobs.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Nah, he does this all the time, this isn't new and why I said at it again. But even if he wasn't , Kizer sure isn't going to fix that.
                        Gruden is following the Bellicheat model of bringing in a lot of bodies, including a lot of scrubs, and running them through drills to find ONE diamond in the rough out of 100...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Gruden is following the Bellicheat model of bringing in a lot of bodies, including a lot of scrubs, and running them through drills to find ONE diamond in the rough out of 100...
                          He needs bodies on defense as they are short handed and released a DE to make room for Kizer. He had 5 QBs at one point on his roster at TB.

Comment

Working...
                          X