• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
    Wow, always cool to see Steve agreeing with me, re: Brown likely being the odd LB out, feels like I got something right for once lol. Which leaves Perryman as the only LB still on the team from just two years ago. That's one helluva revamp!

Edit: I always think of Ingram as just Ingram lol, but him and Perryman, last LBs standing after years of crappy LB play. Thank you TT.
    Big time turnover at LB, much needed. Gone are:
    Teo
    Toomer
    Emanuel
    Perry
    Landrum
    Tourek Williams
    Carlos Fields
    Pullard

On the way out:
    Dzubnar

We have upgraded our LB corps BIG TIME...

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

The level of competition for roster slots on D is good - very good/excellent across the board. TC & preseason will be amazing. There's a lot of talent & youth.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Here's my prediction:

Justin Jones will replace Brandon Mebane as the primary 1-tech tackle as the season progresses.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
          Here's my prediction:

Justin Jones will replace Brandon Mebane as the primary 1-tech tackle as the season progresses.

And a successful replacement.
          I would love to see Bosa, Tillery, Jones and Ingram play on the front.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

You'll see that front 4 quite often.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Going off the last 2 seasons, we tend to use 2 tech DT at the same time. Sometimes the 3tech plays the NT techniques, and is there to be a more dynamic body in place of a position you don't normally expect to get much rush from. Other times, on 3rd , don't have any DL over either A gap and both DT play over the B gaps (outside shade of the OG). This gives them space to use more moves, and to run games with the DB and DE.

I expect you will see at least some of that this season. Going forward, I think that is the base DL. Some of it will just depends on TIllery and Jones, and how do their styles mix.

Jones is not a quickness, penetration guy, but he is disruptive if you don't double him. He sheds blocks and can make plays, which seems like they could move him to NT. Especially with the addition of Broughton (who is a bit quicker), it really seems like he could spend some time at NT. Maybe not the pure run down situations, but the rest of the time.

It is interesting to note that Tillery spent most of his time in college as a NT. He only played 3 tech last year. Before that he played over the nose, because ND had a lot of DL who fit the 3 tech spot better and a big guy like Tillery could play NT, even though 3 tech is his natural position. I point it out, because if we play Jones and TIllery, they can exchange assignments as a change of pace thing if it gets a matchup. Some smallish C could have TIllery bull rushing from the NT spot.

I also expect that we will spend some time this coming season with Rochelle, Ingram and Bosa rushing inside, like we had them in Baltimore. Ingram is the only one of the base DE who really has the outstanding speed off the edge. Rochelle and Bosa are very efficient, but the use their hands and moves to generate penetration, so both are a good fit in over the typically less athletic OG. Ingram played a lot of DT in college, and we will have always rotated him inside when we have had other guys rushing off the edge. With Nwuso and Egbule, we now have some guys who can add some more speed off the edge in really obvious passing downs, allowing our DE to move inside some.

And of course it gives everyone some breaks so late in the game, our pass rushers still have some juice in their legs. That was how we finished Baltimore although it was pretty close.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                Here's my prediction:

I expect Mebane will continue to get some snaps, but in more balanced down and distance situations, that Jones will get some snaps. If Square is on the roster him too, but mostly Jones.

Comment

Working...
                X