As Chargers GM What 1 Move Would You Make?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
    No guidelines??? I'd move the team back to San Diego after negotiating a new stadium that the city would pay 100% of. And the stadium would be at La Jolla shores so the cameramen can take pans of the amazing sunsets.

Queue Supertramp..........
    'Cause you're the joke of the neighborhood
    Why should you care if you're feeling good
    Take the long way home
    Take the long way home
    And you guys claim to be Supertramp fans... that's just too easy!

Comment

• SYB
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

wish I could see my way to that sentiment, as do agree that Davis will be a valuable asset/mentor for the some of 'em, and that he might not play as much as some might think, and.... will not be surprised if by season's end that our 4-2-5 has a whole lotta Davis and Jatavis manning the LB responsibilities, as not convinced that Uchenna isn't some sort of Jeremiah Attaochu redux/revisit, and am also wary of Kyzir's brother's injury history.... let's hope that's not the case, and.... Thomas Davis was a good add, and Jatavis is farther along the curve than the other two aforementioned LBs.

:mybrainhurts:

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
        Badgley has got it done in the playoffs; all his makes were down the middle & the one miss was blocked after a poor snap/hold. I can see your concern, but you can't go in a different direction now.

Kaeding's first field goal make in the playoffs came at a clutch time: 10 minutes left & down by 10. Re-watching it - it was a 35 yarder that was rapidly hooking left & barely made-it.

i'm most concerned about Okung & Pouncey's health.
        I'm less concerned about o-line because of Rivers.
        I know that sounds strange, but QBs like Rivers do such a great job of getting into a good play, adjusting at the line, keeping the back in to help pass block when necessary, knowing where the pass rush and/or blitz is coming from and knowing where the advantage match up is........ that I think we are not as impacted by o-line missing time much as losing skill players. I think it hurts Gordon-RB more than Rivers if o-line has injuries.

3rd down conversions need players like Allen-WR, Henry-TE, or Ekeler-RB.

When you lose those skill players, their back ups can't get open as early and often as starters do which is forcing Rivers to hold the ball more or throw into tighter windows.

If he has all his skill players on the field, he just needs the o-line to be close to average on most snaps and Rivers will drive the ball into scoring position.

And the FG kicking, I want them to keep Badgely as he earned it from last years play. And not replace him unless he chokes on game winners or they clearly with out a doubt find someone better. Its not so much Badgely that I'm leery of but the Chargers decision making over the years at the FG kicker position. Its not like they targeted Badgely as the guy last off season, they threw spaghetti at the wall until something stuck.
        I had thought Lambo earned the right to keep his job over Koo. Since Lambo was 31/32 on FG inside 40yd as a Charger. And he had plenty of leg to make 50plus kicks. 4/8 as a Charger.
        Koo made a single chip shot FG in preseason. I was confused when they made the decision.
        Koo failed. Lambo has gone to be the same 25/25 inside 40 for Jax. And even better 6/7 from 50plus.

I need to see Badgely have a great year this year to be comfortable with the FG kicking. And I still want the team to double down at the TE position to ensure Rivers has a back up for his security blanket. Gates was always that guy, Henry will be that guy if he stays healthy.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I know that sounds strange, but QBs like Rivers do such a great job of getting into a good play, adjusting at the line, keeping the back in to help pass block when necessary, knowing where the pass rush and/or blitz is coming from and knowing where the advantage match up is........ that I think we are not as impacted by o-line missing time much as losing skill players. I think it hurts Gordon-RB more than Rivers if o-line has injuries.

When you lose those skill players, their back ups can't get open as early and often as starters do which is forcing Rivers to hold the ball more or throw into tighter windows.

If he has all his skill players on the field, he just needs the o-line to be close to average on most snaps and Rivers will drive the ball into scoring position.

And the FG kicking, I want them to keep Badgely as he earned it from last years play. And not replace him unless he chokes on game winners or they clearly with out a doubt find someone better. Its not so much Badgely that I'm leery of but the Chargers decision making over the years at the FG kicker position. Its not like they targeted Badgely as the guy last off season, they threw spaghetti at the wall until something stuck.
          I had thought Lambo earned the right to keep his job over Koo. Since Lambo was 31/32 on FG inside 40yd as a Charger. And he had plenty of leg to make 50plus kicks. 4/8 as a Charger.
          Koo made a single chip shot FG in preseason. I was confused when they made the decision.
          Koo failed. Lambo has gone to be the same 25/25 inside 40 for Jax. And even better 6/7 from 50plus.

I need to see Badgely have a great year this year to be comfortable with the FG kicking. And I still want the team to double down at the TE position to ensure Rivers has a back up for his security blanket. Gates was always that guy, Henry will be that guy if he stays healthy

The choice of Koo was probably marketing: The Spanos were interested in getting fan support and Koo possibly appealed to the large Korean-american community in the Los Angeles area.

Koo did have the famous youtube video trick-kick: don't discount that accomplishment.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

I think they pulled the plug on Koo so quickly because:

A) he was forced upon the Charger coaching staff
            B) it looked like he was about to vomit before/after 4rth quarter stress kicks.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Badgley has yet to do anything for me to not believe he will perform well for us.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

I think they pulled the plug on Koo so quickly because:

A) he was forced upon the Charger coaching staff
                B) it looked like he was about to vomit before/after 4rth quarter stress kicks.
                Koo actually played pretty well for Atlanta in the AAF. He went 14 of 14 for FG. He wasn't great, but he is making progress. He may make a decent kicker for someone if he can continue to improve.

Badgley was a marginal prospect who did a good job of learning everything he could from Adam Vinatieri and getting a lot better in a short period of time. If he can continue to build on what he did, we will have an excellent kicker for the long haul. It was particularly impressive he could shake off the miss and block that Pitt had to then settle down and kick the game winner.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ~sdc View Post

Ask him about Scoobie Wright.
                  yep.... loved me some Scooby, and.... wait for if and when Tennessee moves on from Mariota !!
                  RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

not sure if I agree w/that as that seems to be part 'parcel to us not getting out of the gate well in a lotta games ?? agree that the health of Pouncey and Okung are two very vulnerable pieces of our puzzle.

think Pipkins was/is a fairly large gambit, and guessin' that if we make a move on the Oline in next year's draft that it will be @the OC ??

do think we're gonna run the ball this season, albeit not convinced that Philip doesn't have his work cut out for him in the passing game, i.e. Henry returning from injury, our reluctance to throw Virgil the ball, MW not quite yet being a threat down in and down out, the loss of Tyrell, and how dinged up his backfield was last season, and may suffer some again this year ??

it has been written/spoken here that our D is built to operate at their optimum under the assumption of having/owning a (sizable) lead, and which just hasn't been the case much, and.... given that we still have a hole up the middle of our D, 'specially for if and when we might be without Denzel, teams are gonna run up the gut on us until we dedicate the resources to stop it.

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

The choice of Koo was probably marketing: The Spanos were interested in getting fan support and Koo possibly appealed to the large Korean-american community in the Los Angeles area.

Koo did have the famous youtube video trick-kick: don't discount that accomplishment.
                      Famous youtube kick? In the grand scheme of things, who really gives a shit about that? Bottom line is make your kicks and Koo is still unemployed by the NFL though I think he will get a shot in somebodies TC. He did alright in the AAF.

Hispanics everywhere in SoCal and they still cut Aquayo so I don't buy the marketing Idea. Bottom line, make your kicks.
                      Sturgis cut for missing kicks, Badgley sticks for making them.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-27-2019, 10:24 PM.
                      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                      105 Brenden Rice WR - USC
                      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                      140 Hunter Nourzad OC - Penn st
                      181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
                      225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

Working...