Underrated Players - Desmond King (and Tyrell Williams)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    The big problem with Tyrell is how well does he get off press. He has really improved his route running, but he has been around for years and he still struggles to get off press coverage. He may finally get good at it, but he is not there yet, and at this stage of his career, you have to wonder how much better he will get at it. T. Williams disappears for long stretches, and his inability to uncover vs press is a big part of the reason.

Mike Williams does his best work when players press him. His route running still needs a lot of work. He needs to do a better job of actually getting open, especially if DB don't try to win the close in hand fighting against him. Williams flashes route running, but is not consistent at it yet. But in the end the ability to beat press coverage off the line and his improvement vs off and zone coverage, he has a lot more upside. He can be that second elite WR opposite Allen, that keeps defenses on their heels, and doesn't allow them to double Keenan on every play.
    The only thing I would add to that, Steve, is that Mike Will beats that press coverage quite a bit of the time by high-pointing, something that Twill doesn't do nearly as well...

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

The only thing I would add to that, Steve, is that Mike Will beats that press coverage quite a bit of the time by high-pointing, something that Twill doesn't do nearly as well...
      That is the winning contested passes, which isn't what I was referring to. It's a good, point, just not the one I was making. I was referring to getting into the route more quickly/smoothly and with separation from the DB pressing them at the line. It's hard to be productive in the quick passing game and vs the blitz if the WR is still struggling to get past the CB a second into the route and the QB is feeling pressure and wants to get rid of the ball early.

Mike Williams was/is probably the best guy coming out of college at winning contested passes. Ever. He simply wasn't open a lot in college but won a sick number of contested passes. I may not be remembering clearly, but it seems like there were Clemson games where he didn't make any catches that he didn't win a jump ball on. My memory is probably filtering the others out........

Tyrell initially was one of the worst contested pass WR I have ever seen (again biases memory???). Tyrell got a lot better at it, but he is still not that good. It negates a lot of his downfield capability and goalline ability.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍