Underrated Players - Desmond King (and Tyrell Williams)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charged4Life
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

think Williams has similar stats to his last season.... doesn't break 700 yards and will likely get to 10 TDs again, albeit doubt he goes for much if any more than that.

and rapport w/Rivers is based on ability to get open on a regular basis.... he is not that guy.... not the route runner that Keenan is nor many of the past top ten draft picks.... (Keenan is the first round talent, MW a day two/third round talent).

and (very) doubtful that TWill doesn't have the better stats than MW.

and Bolts duo will prolly be top ten.... unfortunately not the best, nor top five.

Cantrell comes on, Hunter comes back, Ekeler emerges once again, and.... throw Virgil the damn ba!!
    I agree. I don't know his stats offhand but it sure seemed like he was breaking tackles for us after he caught the ball. Very aggressive runner. Like that.

Comment

• SYB
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

think Williams has similar stats to his last season.... doesn't break 700 yards and will likely get to 10 TDs again, albeit doubt he goes for much if any more than that.

and rapport w/Rivers is based on ability to get open on a regular basis.... he is not that guy.... not the route runner that Keenan is nor many of the past top ten draft picks.... (Keenan is the first round talent, MW a day two/third round talent).

and (very) doubtful that TWill doesn't have the better stats than MW.

and Bolts duo will prolly be top ten.... unfortunately not the best, nor top five.

Cantrell comes on, Hunter comes back, Ekeler emerges once again, and.... throw Virgil the damn ba!!
      That isn't true at all. Keenan is pretty much the only top WR that PR has had that relied on route running to get open, VJax and Floyd were hardly elite route runners. What they were was big bodies who were basically always "open" due to their size and ability to fight for the ball. And Rivers has never been afraid of throwing it up and letting his guys go get it, which is where MW shines.

And if you would like to put a wager on that < 700yds, I'd love to take your money.

Comment

• SYB
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Comparing stats is not a very good way to compare Tyrell to Mike.

If we get the season we hope for, it may almost be a foregone conclusion.

If the Chargers are playing upper echelon D, good O, and protecting leads, we may not throw a lot. That would lead to a case where we might have a lot of weapons, but not enough passes to go around. Hunter might well be a red zone target that we missed last year. Eckler got hurt later on. Newsome and Jackson hopefully won't get a ton of production, but if we are protecting a lead and give them mop-up action late in games, that could be a fair amount of production away from other positions.

However, if the Raiders are forced to continue to throw the ball, if for no other reason than to shut up AB, then TWilliams may be a big part of an offense that throws a lot of passes and doesn't have many weapons besides himself and AB.

Tyrell Willaims did a good job of developing from low-level college guy to a pretty solid WR. Not great, and he still has work to do, but not bad considering where he started. I don't see why Mike Williams can't also continue to develop his release vs press coverage and his route running and develop as a WR as well.
        Agreed. I think what gets lost on a lot of people when talking about TW's deficiencies in high pointing the ball, is that being the physical freak he was in a low level division of college, he didn't ever have to fight for the ball. He was bigger and faster than anyone he faced. He really started to show strides in that department last year and I expect him to continue doing so. I honestly expect a huge year from him for 2 reasons. AB is gonna command the most attention and I expect that D to continue to suck ass, meaning they're gonna have to chuck it all over the field to try to stay in games.

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post
          And if you would like to put a wager on that < 700yds, I'd love to take your money.
          c'mon man.... put a little risk in your portfolio.... how 'bout Big Mike goes over 1k yards ?? !!

>1,000yds

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• SYB
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

c'mon man.... put a little risk in your portfolio.... how 'bout Big Mike goes over 1k yards ?? !!

>1,000yds
            Calling me out for using your number? That's hilarious.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

I believe the ball is going to too many receivers for anyone to get 1000 yards. Probably the rbs combined get 1000 yards though
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Charged4Life View Post

I agree. I don't know his stats offhand but it sure seemed like he was breaking tackles for us after he caught the ball. Very aggressive runner. Like that.
                Pls. Keep him blocking where he excels. I woukd much rather the vast majority of TE targets go to HH.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Pls. Keep him blocking where he excels. I woukd much rather the vast majority of TE targets go to HH.
                  Virgil is an excellent athlete who excels at a few things, but running routes is not part of what he does well. He can be somewhat dangerous, but mostly on very simple stuff. Some of the TE screen game, and off of play action dragging across the field. But if the other team is prepared, he is really not much of a threat. Last year was his 2nd best year as a receiver. I expect, because of our O, he will do about the same this season.

HH is going to be the downfield pass catcher. He is a lot like Jason Witten, in terms of being a classic inline TE. He can block, and that means he draws a lot classic LB types in coverage, who then need to disrupt the core of the D finding help for them. That should open up a lot of stuff for the WR, and the RB. We have enough weapons that I don't think the numbers will be amazing for anyone, but it will mean that the defenses we face will have their hands very, very full.

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

That isn't true at all. Keenan is pretty much the only top WR that PR has had that relied on route running to get open, VJax and Floyd were hardly elite route runners. What they were was big bodies who were basically always "open" due to their size and ability to fight for the ball. And Rivers has never been afraid of throwing it up and letting his guys go get it, which is where MW shines.
                    (very) valid point (taken), as guessin' am still a little butt hurt/chapped at a pundit piece I read once upon a time comparing MW's route running to Keenan's in a favorable/comparable light, and as again.... 'tis true that that Philip likes those big get up and get the ball wideouts, i.e. Big Mike.

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

eye agree/get it, and.... my sense was/seemed to me that last season whenever Virgil got a coupla few targets/catches our O was much more formidable/successful ??

just a coupla few (spread the wealth/keep 'em guessin') ??

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charged4Life View Post
                        Tyrell Williams is Malcom Floyd. At least in Floyd's good years. Neither is very tough or willing to inflict punishment on a d-back. But MWill will contest catches and he's not shy about being physical. I love those two traits about MWill. He's a football player.
                        Floyd was made of about 40% porcelain. TWill was a lot more durable than Floyd. M80 only played in 16 games once,Tyrell has already done it 3 of 4 seasons and is already a better WR than Floyd was.
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-28-2019, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

IMO, Floyd was better than TWill. Floyd went deep and also competed for every ball. TWill isn't there yet.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X