• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    It depends on how well he adapts to the NFL and learning an NFL playbook, but he has a chance to get playing time early and often.

Without a new guy like McCoy, who would need a fair number of reps to get used to our personnel and new defense and Tillery missing snaps while he rehabs, Cortez gets a lot of extra snaps. Every year there are guys like him who do. He is a bit of a longshop as a late pick, but why not a guy like him? He is not some giant goon who has no ability. The guy flashes some skills. He has some bad habits and needs to develop his technique, but he just needs the coaching and reps and he may develop.
    Kid played different positions and for 4 different line coaches. I don't think he will have a problem picking up the scheme or taking to coaching. I think many here will be very pleasantly surprised with this pick.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Kid played different positions and for 4 different line coaches. I don't think he will have a problem picking up the scheme or taking to coaching. I think many here will be very pleasantly surprised with this pick.
      I concur Mike.
      Cortez is an explosive disrupter who has the skillset, power, heavy hands, and 1st 2 steps that can't be taught. He will refine his technique, hand placement, and play reco early in his career.
      I look for him to have a very solid rookie campaign.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Budsman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I hope you're right, I just don't like to put to much of my hope into late round picks being big parts of the team. If they do wonderful but I'll wait until it happens.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

College schemes are much more simplistic than what the NFL runs. The assignments themselves are not that much more difficult, but they expect the players to be more thoughtful about their reactions to all the reads the players are making. And there is the big step in technique. Good technique is college is not very good for the NFL. And it is a big step up in terms of competition. It is not going to be a foregone conclusion that he can develop.

Still, the best way to develop is to get lots of reps, and the earlier the better. A lot of late round picks turn into decent players if they can simply last long enough to continue to get the reps they need to fix their technique problems and to learn how to read NFL plays as they develop. Most 7th round picks won't get the chance to get as many reps as Cortez will get here in OTA's.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

McCoy is visiting 3 teams: Browns, Bengals and Ravens.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Send PM

TT/Baby Spanos have faith in the investments they have made at DL and don't see McCoy or Suh as upgrades worth the cost. My take is they want to keep that cap space available in the event a quality OL vet comes available, like Pouncey last season.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Don't upset the chemistry.

Comment

• SYB
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  College schemes are much more simplistic than what the NFL runs. The assignments themselves are not that much more difficult, but they expect the players to be more thoughtful about their reactions to all the reads the players are making. And there is the big step in technique. Good technique is college is not very good for the NFL. And it is a big step up in terms of competition. It is not going to be a foregone conclusion that he can develop.

Still, the best way to develop is to get lots of reps, and the earlier the better. A lot of late round picks turn into decent players if they can simply last long enough to continue to get the reps they need to fix their technique problems and to learn how to read NFL plays as they develop. Most 7th round picks won't get the chance to get as many reps as Cortez will get here in OTA's.
                  All true. However you can't coach explosion, which he has in spades. And that should definitely help mask some of his deficiencies in technique. And Giff is one hell of a DL coach who I have a lot of trust in.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                    I predict...

whoever has the most cap space
                    .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
                    .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
                    .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
                    .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
                    .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
                    .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
                    .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
                    .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
                    .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• SYB
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                      The Bengals confuse me since they already have Geno Atkins, a player who McCoy wishes he was as good as. And Mike Brown is cheap AF as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍