Poll: What is the Bolts biggest area of need?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Poll: What is the Bolts biggest area of need?

BFTB had a pretty decent article about what position do the Bolts still need to improve on. What do you think? Vote for more than one if you want!

What is the Chargers biggest need?

It's time for another round table, boys. With the offseason all but over, what is the biggest remaining weakness on the team?

Michael Peterson: I think I'll have to go with cornerback after mulling it over. I want to continue saying right tackle but it's time to change things up. This position group looked much better when Trevor Williams was playing better but now it's quite gloomy behind Casey Hayward and Desmond King. There is no other cornerback I could see working in the slot other than King and that's not a good thing. If something were to happen to Hayward and/or King, the Chargers will be left with three former UDFAs to carry the load.

Louis Gorini: Everyone is going to say RT so I will think outside of the box and say the Chargers biggest need is slot WR. Travis Benjamin has been an disappointment and cannot be relied on to contribute. It's important for Rivers to have a quick slot wr so when the protection breaks down (and we know it will), he can dump it off to the slot WR on drag routes and make turn a 5 yard catch into a 25 yard catch. Benjamin plays to scared to go through the middle and the players behind him are all unproven.

Jamie Sewell: I'm going to go with the OL as a whole, because it's a group that's seriously lacking in talent, and the main reason that I can't foresee the Chargers making it any further this year than they did last year. Russell Okung and Mike Pouncey are fine, but both OG positions and RT are a mess. Dan Feeney really struggled last year, Michael Schofield is competent, but never going to be anything more than a below average starter, and Sam Tevi is a backup who's found his way into the starting 5 because the Chargers have no other options. I'm as hopeful as anybody that Forrest Lamp can be the saviour, but he was healthy by the end of last season and guys like Cole Toner were still being activated on gameday over him. Trey Pipkins has a lot of upside, but he's a raw third round pick from Sioux Falls. He almost certainly won't be ready to contribute this year, and, if it's true that the Chargers see him as their LT of the future, they probably don't have any plans for him to replace Tevi anyway. For all of Telesco's successes, he's really struggled to give Philip Rivers a competent OL in the entirety of his tenure with the Bolts, and once again, it looks like the Chargers are going into a season with too many question marks in the trenches.

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/201...ggest-weakness
    Right tackle
    47.06%
    Cornerback
    23.53%
    Offensive guard
    17.65%
    Linebacker
    5.88%
    Nose tackle
    0%
    Defensive tackle
    0%
    Other--see my answer
    11.76%
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Chemistry.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Second Tight End.
      It would be quite impactful.
      Another two way TE.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

More wins
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          BFTB had a pretty decent article about what position do the Bolts still need to improve on. What do you think? Vote for more than one if you want!

What is the Chargers biggest need?

It's time for another round table, boys. With the offseason all but over, what is the biggest remaining weakness on the team?

Michael Peterson: I think I'll have to go with cornerback after mulling it over. I want to continue saying right tackle but it's time to change things up. This position group looked much better when Trevor Williams was playing better but now it's quite gloomy behind Casey Hayward and Desmond King. There is no other cornerback I could see working in the slot other than King and that's not a good thing. If something were to happen to Hayward and/or King, the Chargers will be left with three former UDFAs to carry the load.

Louis Gorini: Everyone is going to say RT so I will think outside of the box and say the Chargers biggest need is slot WR. Travis Benjamin has been an disappointment and cannot be relied on to contribute. It's important for Rivers to have a quick slot wr so when the protection breaks down (and we know it will), he can dump it off to the slot WR on drag routes and make turn a 5 yard catch into a 25 yard catch. Benjamin plays to scared to go through the middle and the players behind him are all unproven.

Jamie Sewell: I'm going to go with the OL as a whole, because it's a group that's seriously lacking in talent, and the main reason that I can't foresee the Chargers making it any further this year than they did last year. Russell Okung and Mike Pouncey are fine, but both OG positions and RT are a mess. Dan Feeney really struggled last year, Michael Schofield is competent, but never going to be anything more than a below average starter, and Sam Tevi is a backup who's found his way into the starting 5 because the Chargers have no other options. I'm as hopeful as anybody that Forrest Lamp can be the saviour, but he was healthy by the end of last season and guys like Cole Toner were still being activated on gameday over him. Trey Pipkins has a lot of upside, but he's a raw third round pick from Sioux Falls. He almost certainly won't be ready to contribute this year, and, if it's true that the Chargers see him as their LT of the future, they probably don't have any plans for him to replace Tevi anyway. For all of Telesco's successes, he's really struggled to give Philip Rivers a competent OL in the entirety of his tenure with the Bolts, and once again, it looks like the Chargers are going into a season with too many question marks in the trenches.

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/201...ggest-weakness
          What is Louis Gorini talking about? Slot WR as our biggest need? Keenan played in the slot a lot last year (45.8% according to this link). He can play both outside and inside.
          Keenan Allen player profile featuring career stats, fantasy ranking, & analytics data. See combine scores, SPARQ, measurables, and comparable players.

And while Benji should remain on the outside more if he does play, saying he plays too scared to go through the middle shows a lack of knowledge. Benji is unreliable with his hands, but he ain't afraid. Case in point the KC game:

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Not sure if BFTB is a step up or down from the Bleacher Report.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              Not sure if BFTB is a step up or down from the Bleacher Report.
              I would say a step up...a lot of their analysis is good, but some of their writers are a bit off...for example, here's an informative piece BFTB did a while back on the SAM LB: https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/201...ley-43-defense
              Last edited by Topcat; 06-08-2019, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

its still OL.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                  its still OL.
                  Agree...I'm concerned about Tevi and Feeney...If I'm Lynn, I pull out all the stops in TC and there's a totally open competition for RT and LG...and I mean TOTALLY open...Line up Bosa and Ingram against Tevi, Magic Lamp, Pipkins and Scott, and whoever is best at pass pro, with a minor nod to run blocking, gets to start. If Tevi can't handle the heat, he needs to ride some pine...Now, on Feeney, line up Tillery against him and see how Feeney does, compared with Lamp, Brown, Martin and Drango and let's see who comes out on top.
                  Last edited by Topcat; 06-08-2019, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

The biggest area of need is to not play the Patriots in the playoffs!

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Agree...I'm concerned about Tevi and Feeney...If I'm Lynn, I pull out all the stops in TC and there's a totally open competition for RT and LG...and I mean TOTALLY open...Line up Bosa and Ingram against Tevi, Magic Lamp, Pipkins and Scott, and whoever is best at pass pro, with a minor nod to run blocking, gets to start. If Tevi can't handle the heat, he needs to ride some pine...Now, on Feeney, line up Tillery against him and see how Feeney does, compared with Lamp, Brown, Martin and Drango and let's see who comes out on top.
                      But, but...chemistry.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        The biggest area of need is to not play the Patriots in the playoffs!
                        You kidding? I want to smash the * to pieces in the playoffs. Bring it.

Comment

Working...
                        X