Clear All
  • La Costa Boy
    Pretty much retired......
    • Sep 2018
    • JoJa
    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
    • Send PM

Donnie Edwards Foundation Taking WW II Vets Back To Normandy France

I just caught the story on the Chargers website and didn't see anything about it here. Wow.....just wow....it gave me chills to look through all of the pictures. What an incredible thing Donnie, just freaking incredible. The pics teared me up, I have to admit. Especially the one of the little girl holding the vets hand. Her gaze could tell 1,000 stories. Check it out.
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Often when pro athletes retire, you don't hear much about their foundations, but so glad that Donnie found a good cause.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

https://www.chargers.com/news/donnie...versary-of-d-d

Here is the story at chargers.com. Hayley Elwood did a good job on the story. Better than the chiefs.com writer. My father was captured at the Dieppe Raid in 1942. He was a sergeant in an infantry assault unit that tried to take the town but the Germans were well-prepared and cut his regiment to pieces on beach. He spent the rest of the war in German POW camps.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

I remember the year he retired i met him at the main grocery store in Rancho Santa Fe. Driving a little red mercedes convertible. The guy talked with me for around 30 minutes. With groceries. I hope he didnt have ice cream with him. Seriously great guy. Im not shocked hes doing amazing things like this.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          I remember the year he retired i met him at the main grocery store in Rancho Santa Fe. Driving a little red mercedes convertible. The guy talked with me for around 30 minutes. With groceries. I hope he didnt have ice cream with him. Seriously great guy. Im not shocked hes doing amazing things like this.
          IMO, one of the biggest mistakes AJ Smith made as Chargers GM was letting Edwards walk in 2007. AJ thought Matt Wiffhelm was going to be an upgrade. He wasn't.

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
            IMO, one of the biggest mistakes AJ Smith made as Chargers GM was letting Edwards walk in 2007. AJ thought Matt Wiffhelm was going to be an upgrade. He wasn't.
            Donnie brought it on himself with his constant salary complaints. Think about what happened after Butler signed him to his 5 year contract in 2002. He immediately tried to get a new contract the following year, even going so far as saying that Butler had promised to give him a new contract on his deathbed to AJ Smith. And every offseason that he didn't get a contract, he would complain to everyone, whether teammates or even to the fans at events. Needless to say my personal experience with him was not as great the two times that I met him.

Edit: It's not like Donnie did anything after he left the Chargers. He last two seasons with the Chiefs and was a shell of himself.

Edit 2: I'm glad that he's doing these things now. Sorry if I sound like a sour puss. The two experiences rubbed me the wrong way, and the contract situation definitely didn't help. Strange that 9 years later, Weddle would do the same thing with Telesco.
            Last edited by Xenos; 06-10-2019, 09:01 PM.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Send PM

He was still better than Whiffhelm.

Comment

• jubei
                Vagabond Ninja
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

definitely been difficult to find a LBer with his coverage skills and soft hands.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
                  definitely been difficult to find a LBer with his coverage skills and soft hands.
                  He had 17 Ints during his five years as a Charger. That led all DBs during the stretch. Quentin Jammer, the Bolts' best CB on those teams, had 10 INTs during the same period (2002-06). He had two 5 INT seasons in that 5 year stretch. Even Casey Hayward hasn't matched that.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

He had 17 Ints during his five years as a Charger. That led all DBs during the stretch. Quentin Jammer, the Bolts' best CB on those teams, had 10 INTs during the same period (2002-06). He had two 5 INT seasons in that 5 year stretch. Even Casey Hayward hasn't matched that.
                    Did anybody tell AJ he had all those INTs?

AJ was disappointed in him because he wasn't a thumper.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• jubei
                      Vagabond Ninja
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

CRAZY right? I remember he was very fluid in coverage. Peeps always bagged on him that he got dragged for yards but he rarely whiffed unlike his counterpart that replaced him.

Comment

• Xenos
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

He was still better than Whiffhelm.
                        Not really. Wilhem had a pretty decent year in 2007, comparable to Donnie's 2007 season. It was a natural carryover from his 2006 season. Too bad Wilhelm didn't have the work ethic or drive to be better, which led to his 2008 dropoff into obscurity.

Wilhelm's
                        Checkout the latest stats for Matt Wilhelm. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, college, draft, and more on Pro-football-reference.com.

image.png

Donnie's 2007:
                        Checkout the latest stats for Donnie Edwards. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, college, draft, and more on Pro-football-reference.com.

image.png

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡