• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Stuckey

Playmaker: teams ace Darrell Stuckey defended well in one-on-one pass drills and as a safety in dime packages.

Playmaker, offense: Running back Edwin Baker shot through a hole, cut past a linebacker and then ran away from a defensive back. The Charges were practicing in pads for the first time this year.

Mr. Media: LaDanian Tomlinson, working for the NFL Network, interviewed former teammate Philip Rivers after practice.

Manti Te'o: Tomlinson likened the Chargers rookie to ex-Patriots LB Teddy Buschi because he's smart, sound and not super-athletic.

He said it:Jumping out:Medical report:
    Hashtag thepowderblues
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Stuckey did make some nice plays today. He was lining up as the first team safety taking over for Weddle a few times and in the nickel/dime at other times.

This may allow them to move Gilchrist to CB in nickel packages if Stuckey proves he can play.

The nickel DBs have been underwhelming.

Comment

• Boltdog
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Lunar Surface
      • Nutrition Consultant
      • Send PM

That would really help out our defensive backfield if Stuckey can step it up this season. The organization has simply not replaced all the experience that walked away during the off season...
      Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdog View Post
        That would really help out our defensive backfield if Stuckey can step it up this season. The organization has simply not replaced all the experience that walked away during the off season...
        yeah what will we do without all that experience? we were so good with it last year.

Comment

• zoom
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Stuckey seems like a guy that can benefit most from a new coaching staff. He never seemed to get reps, but excelled on ST. Not sure if he lost trust in Norv and co. but now he has a fresh start.

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

Originally posted by zoom View Post
            Stuckey seems like a guy that can benefit most from a new coaching staff. He never seemed to get reps, but excelled on ST. Not sure if he lost trust in Norv and co. but now he has a fresh start.
            Injuries more than anything IMO. He was also stuck behind Weddle while not getting reps at SS either. That has changed apparently. The more players that are competing for a spot the better we are.
            Last edited by Beerman; 07-28-2013, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

I don't think it was just injuries, but poorly timed injuries in camp never really let him get the reps at a time where he could really compete for the job.

But guys like Stuckey, Mathews, Wright and Thomas and .... They are the key to us playing well. Rookies will be rookies, but these other guys who played OK and flashed ability under Norv have to produce for us, and if they do, they will be a huge influx of ability for the roster. It's encouraging that some of these guys are doing well, but as we keep saying, it's just one week of camp. Most of these guys have been flashing ability for the last couple of years, we need them to raise their game up a notch and develop the consistency that they never did with Norv. Hopefully, that is what McCoy will bring to the game.

The more reps in practice, more up tempo, I think these can all help force players to pick it up mentally. I don't think established vets, guys who have done it before probably will benefit from the temp thing, except maybe from a little bit more natural conditioning. It's the young guys who need this.

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

you play like you practice right? It was mentioned over and over again during NOrv's tenure the team was laid back and did little work in TC. Then they would come out flat game after game, looking like nobody was on the same page, and we had tons of delay of game offensive penalties or wasted timeouts because the plays came in too slow and lots of penalties or wasted time outs making substitutions on defense. IMO this is just as much for the Vets as for young players and coaches as well so everyone is better prepared on game days.
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

I think of it more like you just want to put as much stress on the players as you can. Playing a game is always more stressful then practice, and you can't simulate all the stresses you do in a game, but if you add some additional stresses (tempo) then everyone raises their game a bit more.

Plus the very real issue of changing the tempo can help get us into/defense out of a rhythm.

I never read anything about Norv's team not working hard. When you are trying to learn to do something well, if you rush it, you tend not to learn to do it correctly. I just don't think Norv ran his practices like that because he was trying to get people to think, and do their mechanical techniques correctly. And there is some value in that. But at the same time, it misses out on the fact that

Some of the delay of game thing is just the way we use personnel groups. I am not against it, but the constant substitution makes it hard to do up tempo work and often slows everyone down. I think you can accomplish the same things with personnel and putting stress on defenses by mixing in a few plays in one group (consecutively), and then switch to another group. You force the other team to practice all the groups, it allows you to get matchups with all your personnel, but you don't spend nearly the time switching in and out. It just puts more pressure on the scripting and game planning, so that you know when the personnel is going to be changed up, you have the guys ready to go, so they can change up quickly. And coaches need to be looking for when it may confuse or stress defenses with a certain group, so that if see those signs, you can stick with someone that is working. Switch up too much, you miss those things.

The only thing that hurts some teams who practice up tempo is that there are times when you WANT to slow the game down, and those teams tend to keep running the up tempo. At some point, you need to make sure everyone understand how it works in the games. There are times slowing things down and getting everyone thinking is the right thing to do. There are times you want to run more time off the clock. Where you want the QB or C to remind people of a blitz and adjustment that may be coming up before the huddle breaks.

It just, if you don't practice the uptempo part, it is a lot harder to go fast, where it is easy for a team to slow down if they are used to running things quick.

Comment

• Wheels
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                    you play like you practice right? It was mentioned over and over again during NOrv's tenure the team was laid back and did little work in TC. Then they would come out flat game after game, looking like nobody was on the same page, and we had tons of delay of game offensive penalties or wasted timeouts because the plays came in too slow and lots of penalties or wasted time outs making substitutions on defense. IMO this is just as much for the Vets as for young players and coaches as well so everyone is better prepared on game days.
                    I agree. It was somewhat anecdotal, but I remember a bunch of times reading that Norv gave the team the day off or the afternoon off, or they would call the practice early because they practiced so well. No wonder they were lobbying so hard to keep the guy.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      I think of it more like you just want to put as much stress on the players as you can. Playing a game is always more stressful then practice, and you can't simulate all the stresses you do in a game, but if you add some additional stresses (tempo) then everyone raises their game a bit more.

Plus the very real issue of changing the tempo can help get us into/defense out of a rhythm.

I never read anything about Norv's team not working hard. When you are trying to learn to do something well, if you rush it, you tend not to learn to do it correctly. I just don't think Norv ran his practices like that because he was trying to get people to think, and do their mechanical techniques correctly. And there is some value in that. But at the same time, it misses out on the fact that

Some of the delay of game thing is just the way we use personnel groups. I am not against it, but the constant substitution makes it hard to do up tempo work and often slows everyone down. I think you can accomplish the same things with personnel and putting stress on defenses by mixing in a few plays in one group (consecutively), and then switch to another group. You force the other team to practice all the groups, it allows you to get matchups with all your personnel, but you don't spend nearly the time switching in and out. It just puts more pressure on the scripting and game planning, so that you know when the personnel is going to be changed up, you have the guys ready to go, so they can change up quickly. And coaches need to be looking for when it may confuse or stress defenses with a certain group, so that if see those signs, you can stick with someone that is working. Switch up too much, you miss those things.

The only thing that hurts some teams who practice up tempo is that there are times when you WANT to slow the game down, and those teams tend to keep running the up tempo. At some point, you need to make sure everyone understand how it works in the games. There are times slowing things down and getting everyone thinking is the right thing to do. There are times you want to run more time off the clock. Where you want the QB or C to remind people of a blitz and adjustment that may be coming up before the huddle breaks.

It just, if you don't practice the uptempo part, it is a lot harder to go fast, where it is easy for a team to slow down if they are used to running things quick.
                      Steve, good points, as usual. But after reading about the pace of McCoy's practice from Acee, I wonder if he is going too fast? When you get tired, you get sloppy and forget your fundamentals if they are not drilled into you. Not sure some of these players are there yet. Acee says it is drill, drill, drill with no rest to get more plays run, more film down, more used to fast break offenses. Shouldn't McCoy ramp it up? Or do you think he did enough with OTAs to where these guys have it down now? What good is lots of tape of exhausted players screwing up?

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Speed counts. You have to practice your techniques at full speed so they don't break down while playing at full speed. And if they break down at full speed, you need more practice on the side at slower speeds.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞