• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    I found a good old Charger memory - If you were a bolt fan back in the early eighties I think you will enjoy it;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVE7NaPepYo
    Thank you chargeroo for this great link, and thank you chargeroo for your positive comments elsewhere.

You and I must be among the relative few who can relate to several cycles of football, several cycles of Chargers building towards championship level teams.

I can remember in 1975, when the Chargers had an epic draft. My friend in the dorms at UCLA was the son of the Chargers Dline coach. His dad was big on Louie Kelcher. I was big on Fred Dean.

I have always been a fool for the pass rushers. Keith DeLong. Fred Dean. Leslie O'Neal. Shawne Merriman. Melvin Ingram.

As Fouts reminds us, the '79, '80, HOU, OAK failures were the worst. We were previously so bad. Then Tommy Prothro made epic personnel moves. Those teams were so talented.

Somehow it is entirely possible for me to feel more disappointed about these years, than about more recent underachievements.

Sick of this shit.
    Let's get some in '19.

wisdom of wu
    Last edited by wu-dai clan; 07-05-2019, 06:35 AM.
    You don't know ball

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

You mean Steve DeLong. Earlier than that we had Earl Faison, a terrific DE. His career was ruined by a knee injury. If not for that injury, I think Faison would have been the best we ever had and he'd be in the HOF. Ernie Ladd played beside him at DT and he was very good too. That draft by Prothro must be one of the best drafts ever by any team. Kelcher was great against he run! They were fun to watch. Klien screwed that team up by cutting players that wanted an increase in their salary.
      Fun to roam down memory lane.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

I was at the 1980 AFC Champ game vs Oak. I knew we were the better team and were going to the SB.
        Loved that team. I was more disappointed for the players than the fans. I still believe SD was the better team.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
          You mean Steve DeLong. Earlier than that we had Earl Faison, a terrific DE. His career was ruined by a knee injury. If not for that injury, I think Faison would have been the best we ever had and he'd be in the HOF. Ernie Ladd played beside him at DT and he was very good too. That draft by Prothro must be one of the best drafts ever by any team. Kelcher was great against he run! They were fun to watch. Klien screwed that team up by cutting players that wanted an increase in their salary.
          Fun to roam down memory lane.
          Thanks for the correction. Keith was Steve's son, a 49er LB. Faison was a great player yes yes.
          You don't know ball

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
            OOHHHH I HATE that fisher douchebag the most of any NFL person I've ever hated. How he ever got a job for the Rams...I have no idea. I was so happy he got canned and they found someone who could actually coach and started winning. He was a less then avg coach IIRC. And I will never forgive what he did when he had his dirtbag players mawae and one other dude go high low on Merriman. WRECKED the best defensive player for the foreseeable future in the league.
            How he ever got on the competition committee for safety issues... I have no idea.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Gwynning_Spirit View Post

How he ever got on the competition committee for safety issues... I have no idea.
              Didn't you feel bad when the Rams canned him ?

Instant offense in a funny kind of way.
              You don't know ball

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Thank you chargeroo for this great link, and thank you chargeroo for your positive comments elsewhere.

You and I must be among the relative few who can relate to several cycles of football, several cycles of Chargers building towards championship level teams.

I can remember in 1975, when the Chargers had an epic draft. My friend in the dorms at UCLA was the son of the Chargers Dline coach. His dad was big on Louie Kelcher. I was big on Fred Dean.

I have always been a fool for the pass rushers. Keith DeLong. Fred Dean. Leslie O'Neal. Shawne Merriman. Melvin Ingram.

As Fouts reminds us, the '79, '80, HOU, OAK failures were the worst. We were previously so bad. Then Tommy Prothro made epic personnel moves. Those teams were so talented.

Somehow it is entirely possible for me to feel more disappointed about these years, than about more recent underachievements.

Sick of this shit.
                Let's get some in '19.

wisdom of wu
                If i had to rank epic playoff losses:

1. Houston (79-80)
                2. Patriots (2006-07)
                3. Raiders (1980-81)

That Houston loss stung reall bad. No Pastorini, Campbell, Houston......but the Patriot loss was a very close 2nd.
                Chargers were lucky to get by Buffalo & face the Raiders in the AFC championship game, and Russ Washington's injury really hurt them.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

If i had to rank epic playoff losses:

1. Houston (79-80)
                  2. Patriots (2006-07)
                  3. Raiders (1980-81)

That Houston loss stung reall bad. No Pastorini, Campbell, Houston......but the Patriot loss was a very close 2nd.
                  Chargers were lucky to get by Buffalo & face the Raiders in the AFC championship game, and Russ Washington's injury really hurt them.
                  I feel ya on it all, pbb...solid points...thanks for the refresh.

What sucked about the Raiders game was the BS tipped 65 yard TD pass, on the third play from scrimmage..
                  Plunkett was a pile.
                  It was obviously not to be our day.
                  By the way, Art Shell should have been flagged for holding Fred Dean.
                  This only prevented a sack on this ridiculous, broken play, back breaking play.
                  Last edited by wu-dai clan; 07-05-2019, 01:14 PM.
                  You don't know ball

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Great video, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charged4Life View Post

Thank you! That was a great inside look. A special time to be a Chargers fan even if things didn't go entirely as planned. That '79 team was so close. If Fouts doesn't suck like the worst QB ever in a playoff game we win that game vs Houston. Still don't know how that happened with Fouts. Completely disintegrated in that one. He lost that game for us. But he did a lot of fun and exciting things for us too.
                      I spent the night outside the stadium before that game, 3rd in line and certain to get tickets to the AFCC we would host. Not to be ... but it was a fun all-nighter party
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Charged4Life
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I spent the night outside the stadium before that game, 3rd in line and certain to get tickets to the AFCC we would host. Not to be ... but it was a fun all-nighter party
                        I bet you thought there was no way we'd NOT be in that AFCC. Geesh, still hurts a lot.

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                          Great video, thanks for sharing.
                          It was fun to see am little of that OL wasn't it?
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡